CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

lukpac, jlf, ET3311 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I'm in the completists camp. I really could care less about a 6-month gap between album and Ohio ... after a gap of 51 years!! Not to include the only 2 other tracks from the band's entire repertoire (Neil's tantrums aside) is churlish. To mention that FTCOF was played pre-album at Woodstock just confirms to me its eligibility here.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:tiphat:

4. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

That is the perfect word for Neil’s behavior wrt this release and I was saving it for a post! You beat me to it!

5. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Curious if you folks who ordered the 5 LP set got the hi-res download?

6. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Well said. I was just coming to this thread to pose the same "what if?" question... I'm glad that I saw yours first.

I was in high school when Déjà Vu came out. Both personally and critically, it was received as a somewhat disjointed supergroup album. From what I've read, Stephen Stills dominated the production of CS&N, but the follow-up didn't have a clear leader. Country Girl has always been one of my favorites on the album, evoking Buffalo Springfield. But Helpless would have fit perfectly on After The Goldrush and always felt out-of-place on Déjà Vu, to my ears.

Whether Déjà Vu would have been an equally good and popular album without Neil Young is a secondary issue in my mind. CS&N didn't need more internal politics, competition and complications. As a trio, they would have had a much better chance of developing a working relationship in the studio and continuing to record albums at a regular pace. Whatever one thinks of the various solo albums, duo pairings and side-bands that followed, CSN&Y was one of the most elusive groups in Rock history.

7. Could be...but I'm not sure they would have survived Rita Coolidge in any case.

Woodville, Guy E, bonus and 3 others like this.
  8. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Yes. Received the download link 2 days after placing an order.

cmcb, boboquisp and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Finally had some time off to listen to my LP/CD set, I’m very pleased. The remastered album on LP sounds fabulous. CD’s are up next. Now I’m wishing I would have ordered the LP set…

10. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been covered earlier on in the thread, but I've only been dipping in and out sporadically over the past few weeks. My question is, is there any indication that the remastered LP will be released sans extra CDs? I'm really just after the album itself and not in need of any of the deluxe trappings.

11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

1973 for me! Year of my birth.

One_L likes this.
  12. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Not as yet.

SlimLee likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i put disc one and disc four on the same CDR, and i gotta say, it flows very nicely from the original album to the alternates takes. this could have easily been done for the box too.

i even thought about, but did not do, putting the original and alternate back to back.

and i also must say that the alternate takes are just about the exact same things turned up on that bootleg from 20+ years ago....they are just cleaned up a bit.

Chief and ronbow like this.
  14. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Working my way through the demos...They are truly enlightening as well really entertaining. It's a bit like being in Laurel Canyon at one of the houses many of these songs were conceived and hearing them played for the first time. The pressings of the 5 LP set are just stunning!!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  15. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Good news: Vinyl set showed up! Bemusing news: despite the email promising otherwise, these ain't numbered...

CORRECTION: Yeah, it's on the envelope! Gah. I got 1964 :)

OE3, duneman and Peachy like this.
  16. cmcb

cmcb Forum Resident

My vinyl box, ordered from the CSNY site on May 25, arrived today. It's beautiful. #344!

OE3, duneman and Peachy like this.
  17. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...for those that wanna see what it looks like.

cmcb and frogfog like this.
  18. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I really like the alternate Almost Cut My Hair. Great guitar jams!

adamos, Tom Daniels, csnfan and 6 others like this.
  19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Looks nice, very nice but I would rather my shelf space be taken up with more single or double LPs than a massive box. I am more than happy with the CD/LP set. All the extra tunes + a needle drop will get loaded onto my Sony A55 anyway.

jhm likes this.
  20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup: My favorite unreleased track in the entire box set.

21. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Crosby just shines on a this set, doesn’t he?

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Agreed! :thumbsup:

Adrian Adkins and cmcb like this.
  23. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Agreed. His talent is enormous. I’ve always been a DC aficionado. His voice, guitar and songwriting can be other worldly.

24. peter

peter Senior Member

Mine arrived too. The C S N Y Deja Vu graphics are on the box! Very cool. Will save this.

Now, if I could only get ahold of the July 10, 1974 Vancouver concert ticket which had a photo of the band on it, I would be very happy.

25. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...opened my second set. Number 0001.

I am not sure if that is special or not, but it's kind of amusing.

ARK, ptijerm, marmalade166 and 9 others like this.