Tom Petty talks about Huey Lewis' music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murat, Jun 2, 2021.

1. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Absolutely! That’s why I went to see Huey that night. And he’s was good. Entertaining and played all of the songs that were big hits when I was a kid. And sometimes when you’re in the mood for Miller Lite it can really hit the spot.

showtaper and Fred1 like this.
  2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

With Petty's lecture on feeling, it's not as if Huey tried to pass himself off as the new Percy Sledge.

PRW94 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  3. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Both nice guys. I see what Petty meant with his statement, even though it is a bit too hard.

Does anyone know how old Petty was when he said this? Normally we tend to be harder in our statements when we are younger.

I like both Petty and Lewis, although I can clearly see that Lewis' music has always been more "clean" and "polished", music that puts you in good mood.

I think lyrics have always been more important in Petty's music. Petty has always been more of a storyteller - influenced by Dylan etc.
    So probably his lyrics are a bit more honest.

Having said that, I have always loved Huey Lewis. Yeah!

ARK, Ryan Lux and Fred1 like this.
  4. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I don’t know about who said what and all that but Huey Lewis and the News put on a great show back in 1983. I didn’t know the songs except the one on the radio and they rocked, probably one of the best shows I have seen.

ARK, Fred1 and Chris Schoen like this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

It was a long journey, but like many successful artists, Tom Petty eventually became full of himself.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes indeed.

Fred1 and Chris Schoen like this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Huey Lewis knew how to rock a crowd. :righton:

Fred1, Fischman and razerx like this.
  8. Milo Wolf

Milo Wolf Active Member

What rock and roll is about:
    Making statements

What rock and roll is not about:
    Milquetoast evasion lest someone get their feelings hurt

I guess Petty's comment should have come with a trigger warning.

9. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

It was a memorable show and I recall he ended it with “this is Huey Lewis and you’ve just heard the news”. :) Well I was with my new girlfriend so maybe that was why I remembered it.

ARK, Fred1, boe and 1 other person like this.
  10. Chris Schoen

I think there is a HL&TN live show included in the Sports reissue cd.

Fred1 and razerx like this.
  11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have never owned anything by HL but maybe I’ll fix that. Thanks.

ARK likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

He wasn't saying he's better or greater, or comparing himself with Huey Lewis as a person, or The News as a thing or whatever it is. He just said what he said and it was wrong, or was taken wrong, and now there's all this.

Ryan Lux, Radagast, JR63 and 2 others like this.
  13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Yeah, thirty-five years later this comes out, and a couple of Huey Lewis fans are outraged. Outraged, I tell you!

Alert the media!

KariK and Bluesman Mark like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, I won't argue that, even though it's subjective.

TP still has more solid albums than HL does, as - in my estimation - HL has zero.

Point remains: TP could still play arenas until literally his death, while HL has been in smaller venues for decades.

Ergo: my earlier comment that TP's music aged better for the masses stands...

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

That doesn't sound right to me. Bruce had already attained stardom before punk/New Wave became a "thing", and he didn't fit those molds at all.

As a kid when Petty "broke big" in 1979, I remember he got lumped as New Wave, but Bruce? Nope.

ARK, Fred1 and rockerreds like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Not one live show but a mix of tracks from different shows.

It gives the listener all of "Sports" live - just not a single concert.

ARK likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

TP was 36 at the time. Don't think his comments were "hard" - just honest about how he felt...

Pianoman99 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  18. Say It Right

Who was outraged? People listened to the interview, gave consideration to the comments, and noticed how one (self important) mediocrity wasn't in such a strong position to finger another one.

19. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

So I guess by your criteria, Ed Sheeran is better than Petty, Huey Lewis, and the rest in the list below:

Ed Sheeran’s Record-Breaking Divide Tour Totals $775.6 Million, Beating U2, Guns N’ Roses

The final figures are in from Ed Sheeran’s record-breaking Divide Tour. The British singer-songwriter achieved an overall gross of $775.6 million from 8.9 million tickets sold on six continents. The tour was already confirmed as the highest-grossing tour of all time, beating U2, Guns N’ Roses, the Rolling Stones, Coldplay, Roger Waters, AC/DC, Madonna and P!nk. The figures from Pollstar also reveal how Sheeran achieved this milestone.

Sheeran was at No. 5 in the Forbes list of 2019 Celebrity 100 Earnings, as of July, with $110 million. This was based on the two-year Divide Tour grossing more than $600 million worldwide.

Sheeran reached No. 1 on the list of the all-time top-grossing tours on August 2 with the first night of a two-show run at Messegelände in Hannover, Germany. Sales from the first show took the tour’s gross to $736.8 million, surpassing the record held by U2 for eight years.

The Irish band earned $735.3 million on the two-year 360 Tour from 2009 through 2011.

List of most-streamed songs on Spotify - Wikipedia

"Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran is the most streamed song on Spotify with over 2.8 billion streams.

20. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

If one listened to Tom's "Buried Treasure" radio show on SiriusXM, you would know there's a lot of bands he didn't care for. He didn't seem too keen on Jethro Tull.

21. Say It Right

Then he should've had an account here. A large segment of the forum population just love to talk about what they don't like. :agree:

ARK and showtaper like this.
  22. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

I made the same observation in post #186 of this thread. TP was apparently not a fan of prog rock, although I only heard him mention his dislike of Jethro Tull, in particular. To each their own and his contrary tastes in music have not diminished my love of TP’s discography (or JT’s discography). There’s good music to be found in almost every genre and like in all forms of art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

davenav, Fred1 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  23. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

To add to the mix, Clover were a good little band too.
    I saw them supporting thin Lizzy on the Jailbreak tour.
    Huey Lewis with hair down to his butt. Good fun.

BPMC likes this.
  24. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Actually, with his two wretched albums of R&B/Soul covers he kinda did do just that.

Up until then I considered Huey an ok, if extremely lightweight pop artist, capable of writing catchy if inconsequential material. Frat Rock at it's blandest & most calculating. But those two cover albums exposed every weakness in their approach.

"Four Chords" was bad enough, but "Soulsville" was pure garbage. It was nothing but a by the numbers recording, lacking the very thing that the songs are known for, & that's soul. Huey's voice completely lacks any of the style or nuances of the singers he's trying to emulate & the band as a whole lacks any evidence of subtlety. He simply bellowed through the songs, without a shred of the soul such music is known for.

One might assume that a deep, consuming love of vintage soul music compelled Huey Lewis And The News to celebrate the Stax/Volt catalog with a collection of the label’s legendary tunes. But according to Lewis, the whole idea was his manager’s. It shows.

With all the joy of punching a clock, Lewis and crew assembled exhausted versions of classics by Stax/Volt stars like William Bell, Rufus Thomas, and The Staple Singers, delivering them with all the acumen & competence of an unrehearsed cover band on their first gig.

Though I do hate what happened to Huey, I can't forgive him & his band for unleashing such crap on people with those two albums, & making terrible versions of classic Soul/R&B songs.

For the record, I have no Huey Lewis in my collection. I had "Sports" on vinyl, but once I switched to CDs I saw no need to replace it, & never cared to have any of his other albums, as after "Sports" his music didnt hold much appeal to me. I've got a 2 CD Tom Petty anthology, his 1st solo album, the single CD Greateat Hits, (for his cover of "Something In The Air"), & "Wildflowers". And that's all the Tom Petty I want or need.

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

True, but the majority of us love the guy and his music. :love:

ARK, Murat, davenav and 1 other person like this.