Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Sometime In The Morning - With the pedal steel guitar backing this almost sounds like a First National Band version of the song. The gentler approach truly emphasizes the lyrics. Micky's love for the song is quite evident in every rendition he does of it. 4/5.

2. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Sometime in the morning 4/5

Really it’s almost hard to believe that he took another crack at this one after the two versions on his previous solo album.

But worth it! I’ve always kind of wondered if Mickey wasn’t happy with the original monkeys production. Yes, it’s great… But the production

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Mickey"? "Monkeys"? No caffeinated pick-me-up this morning? :) :hide:

HitAndRun likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

"Sometime in the Morning"- 4/5, although this song *is* getting a bit old by this point... :laugh:

5. super sally

Lol
    That’s what I get for using voice diction

6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

You finally perfected it, Micky, now please never record this again. Don't even think about it.

4/5

Guy Smiley, intv7, D-rock and 7 others like this.
  7. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Sometime in the Morning

I was confused to see this song pop up again, and I do wonder why he needed three versions spread over two albums.

This is a very nicely arranged, performance, and produced version. But, I've docked a few tenths for repetition.

3.3/5

Next album: 'Dolenz sings Sometime in the Morning'. 14 versions of the song, including the death metal version, the K-Pop version including dance routine, and the male voice choir version.

8. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Sometime in the Morning:

1-0
    2-0
    3-1
    4-7
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  9. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Quiet Desperation:

Good to have a Micky original on this otherwise nostalgic album, even if this doesn't quite rise to the standard of most of the other songs.

Not a bad country (or faux-country) song, but it doesn't strike me as particularly original or distinctive.

Again, interesting musicians appearing on this album with John Cowsill playing the drums.

3/5.

RobRoyF, The MEZ, intv7 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Here is a live rendition:

RobRoyF and HitAndRun like this.
  11. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Quiet Desperation

I agree it's great to have a Micky original. It's not bad. It's not great. It's arranged and performed well with the steel guitar and backing vocals. Perhaps Micky's lead vocal could be a bit further forward in the mix.

3.6/5

In the past I've had considerable confusion between Micky/Mickey/Davy/Davey. For some time I got it into my head that one of them had the 'e' in their name but I couldn't remember which.

RobRoyF and The MEZ like this.
  12. super sally

Quiet desperation 3/5

on the plus side:
    - micky original
    - performed well

on the down side:
    - comes off rather generic
    - Song comes out of a reality show that Micky appeared on. While the show was harmless, I felt like it was a tad beneath him
    - Micky seems to be adding a little bit of a western twang in his voice… I’m not sure it works completely

I may like the live version better

13. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Quiet Desperation" -- 3/5

Agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. It's a pleasant enough song, not much more than that. Was hoping his lone original song on the album would have had a bit more substance, but it's not a bad tune at all.

HitAndRun and RobRoyF like this.
  14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Quiet Desperation - Haven’t heard this one in awhile. It’s a fine country tune, Micky sounds good and I like the arrangement, it’s sort of a predecessor to the Dolenz Sings Nesmith album. It’s also cool that it’s a Dolenz original. It reminds me of when Ringo does country tunes which he does very well. 4/5.

HitAndRun and JJR like this.
  15. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Quiet Desperation - 3/5
    Not bad for an original. Wish we had more of those on this album.
    I don't mind an occasional country song by Micky, but I do think he is more suited for pop or rock overall.

HitAndRun and The MEZ like this.
  16. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

So far, this is just a very good release. The new take on Sometime in the Morning is a nice song and while I, along with nearly everyone that pays this close attention to Monkees/Micky, wonder why another version but it does fit well in this CD and may be better than nearly all the released versions to date. This last country flavored tune is really well produced and while I would have maybe not suggested as much of a change or drawl to Micky's voice, it is minor enough not to ruin the entire track. 4 for Sometime, 3.5 for this.

HitAndRun and The MEZ like this.
  17. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

A nice tune if a little anonymous.

3/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

"Quiet Desperation"-3.5/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  19. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Quiet Desperation:

1-0
    2-0
    3-7
    4-2
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  20. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Randy Scouse Git:

I can't fault David Harris for wanting to transform this track into something different but, along yesterday's song, I think this is part of a mid-album lull.

Micky still sounds very nice, and there's nothing too horrible about this, but it is one self-cover too many for me at this point.

2.5/5.

HitAndRun likes this.
  21. Turk Thrust

HitAndRun likes this.
  22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Randy Scouse Git (Remake) - This version of the Monkees classic really got my attention. It's so radically different from the original that you can't help but to take notice and just listen. The slower, darker tone, the layered harmonies, the sinister sounding instrumentation, Micky's dramatic performance, takes the song into a whole other direction. I remember when Micky performed this version of RSG at B.B. King's during the promotional tour of the album and how stunning it was live. I agree with producer David Harris, there is room for both versions. 5/5.

23. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I'd never heard this remake of "Randy Scouse Git" before now... hmmm. It's an interesting rearrangement.

In approach, it reminds me a bit of the new Dolenz Sings Nesmith album (which I know we'll get to eventually): take a song with a relatively spare arrangement, create a new beefed-up arrangement and significantly change the tempo.

24. super sally

This song is such a classic in the monkees catalog it does not seem to be a good candidate for a remake.

however.. I kind of dig it and I’m glad it exists. It is certainly modern sounding and I would love to hear someone’s take that was not familiar or never heard the headquarters track

4/5 for this version.

25. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I really dig this version. The original is a standout because it is Micky's first writing credit. That song and this are so opposite in mood, tempo, etc. that it makes this one interesting. As pobbard already points out it would fit in DSN or in this case DSD produced by Christian. 4/5