Speaker Sales Numbers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alright4now, Jun 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident Thread Starter

In terms of sheer units sold per year, what is considered a lot of sales for a specific speaker model?

Obviously, different companies have different sales goals based on all kinds of factors, but I was just wondering, how many speakers are sold per year for (seemingly) popular models, like the Elac Debut, KEF LS50, Klipsch ps-600m or the JBL L-100? 10,000 pairs? 50,000 pairs? I have no idea.

I'm just curious. Maybe there is no simple answer.

2. Super_Grover

Super_Grover Well-Known Member

Good question. Also curious....especially the larger companies.

3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Serial numbers might provide order of magnitude insight

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Be interesting to see what the largest selling price range is.

5. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident Thread Starter

My (seemingly popular) Klipsch RP 600m has a 15 digit serial number so I don’t think that will be helpful.

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. Ingenieur

My TT
    The first letters are usually model, location, year
    The last sequential
    My guess this is the 1011 made this year.
    Need to compare it against older models and ones made in Malaysia to possibly decode.

[​IMG]

mds and Alright4now like this.
  7. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Back in the day I worked for Wharfedale. The largest production was the Diamond, of which we churned out 50,000 pairs a year.

8. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

I can only speculate based on the numbers I saw in the mid 90s, as a retailer and later working for an electronics manufacturer.

Numbers in the tens of thousands of pairs would be rare unless you’re talking about mass market cheap stuff that happened to get a great Consumer Reports review and was a real stand out. Affordable high end in the $500- $5000 range might only do a few thousand pairs at best. And I think you’d be surprised at how many Audio magazine approved stuff only sells a few hundred pairs, many much less than that.

Alright4now likes this.
  9. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast

As an example, Magnepan claims on their about us page that they have produced over 200,000 pairs since their inception in 1969, but it looks like this page hasn't been updated in a few years. But I'd guess their production is smaller now than it was 20 years ago (pre-ipod) when high end audio was more popular. So I'd guess 6k to 8k per year at this point, across their product line.

Alright4now and Ingenieur like this.
  10. Ingenieur

about a 1,000 individual units a month.
    It may be constant, demand per capita may have gone down but US population increased 60% plus more world market.

Either way, 1,000 unit/month is a lot of speakers! :)

hi_watt and Alright4now like this.
  11. Khorn

Wonder how many Klipschorns are turned out every year?

Manimal, The Pinhead and Glmoneydawg like this.
  12. Ingenieur

I'd like to know how many top of the line Wilson's are sold per year?
    10, 100, ???

Fruff76 likes this.
  13. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I would be curious to know total production numbers....in production since 1946 ish?Gotta be a candidate for longest running speaker model...impressive:)

Khorn likes this.
  14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I believe speaker company production numbers are kept secret and nothing published exists with perhaps a few exceptions in some advertising somewhere.

15. Khorn

Glad I got mine.

Manimal and Glmoneydawg like this.
  16. Just Walking

I'm sure that is right in general. And I can't speak for numbers now. But when Wharfedale was in Bradford (oddly enough in Airedale) loudspeaker manufacture was like a car production line. Vacuum forming machines to make the cones and coil winding machines at the front end, crossover assembly, and then through various assembly stations, then finally magentising in water-cooled coil and footswitch operated machines, stuffed into the cabinet and then packing. It was slick. But the bookshelf Diamond was the big seller. More expensive speakers sold nothing like as many.

50,000 pairs is only one loudspeaker every two minutes (on an 8 hour working day), which is pretty easy for a small, vanilla two way speaker.

Other technologies, where the cabinet is more complex, have planar structures (electrostatic or planar ribbon), or are horns are much more time consuming to construct. These have much higher higher price point and the production volumes tumble. From Ken Kessler's book "The Closest Approach" over the 28 year life of the original ESL 17,000 pairs were sold, or about 600 pairs per year. The ESL63 sold 17,500 pairs in 19 years or 920 pairs per year.

OhHiMahk and Alright4now like this.
  17. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

KEF 2020/2021 Annual report Approx $4million per week lot of speakers
    $202.9 million. Sales of KEF products increased by 26.2%, with growth in
    sales of both traditional premium loudspeakers and new media products. KEF’s new
    products launched during FY2021 were well received by the American and European
    markets, the revenue from which increased by 31.0% and 37.2% respectively. Sales
    of KEF products to the Asian market remained steady
    most major markets amid the COVID19 pandemic caused a significant reduction in product demand

18. Just Walking

That is interesting confirmation of sales volume. It depends on the mix of speakers, prices and volumes of course. But assuming an average price per pair of $1400, the annual sales of ~$200m implies an annual production of over 140,000 pairs.

head_unit and Ingenieur like this.
  19. Ingenieur

I helped!
    Bought R3's spring of 2020.
    That is a lot of product!

head_unit, bhazen and Just Walking like this.
  20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

As impressive as some of these numbers might seem (for 'audiophile'-type loudspeakers), I'm betting they're a rounding error in comparison to sales of Sonos-type speakers, and all the little plastic Bluetooth speakers and cheap earbuds that the regular folks outside our little ghetto use ...

Just Walking likes this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s pretty low, less than 500 I’m pretty sure.

22. trd

trd Forum Resident

Fremer touched on this a little bit in a recent episode of the vintage guitar amps podcast. He’s talking about his new Wilson XVX speakers (retail $329k) and mentions that when he first received them, prior to his review, Wilson had sold about 20 pairs and “now” (May 20) they have sold about 100 pairs.

starts about 52:00
    The Truth About Vintage Amps, Ep. 70 | Fretboard Journal

Alright4now likes this.
  23. Ingenieur

24. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys the numbers for high end stuff are in 10's or maybe 100's at most. When I started shopping in NYC for my first serious stereo system in 1998 I was in Sound by Singer and asked the salesman how many conrad-johnson ART preamps ($16K and limited to 250 units) they sold each year. He said about 1 / month. In 2002 I bought my first serious TT, a VPI TNT-HR which was $8K (with tonearm ). I had been in production for about 3 years, my serial number was 175. In November 2017 I bought a pair of Magico S7's which are what most people would call high-end ( but not $329K high-end ) . They came out in 2016 and the dealer said he had the speakers for 9 months on his floor before I bought them. The list at that time was $58K, I got the ones on his floor as demo units with a noticeable discount. My serial numbers are 51/52 (26 pairs ).

My guess is for speakers they have to be under $1000 to get volumes in the thousands and probably under $500 to break in a volume of 10,000 or more.

jesterthejedi, Khorn and trd like this.
  25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Nobody here has access to the actual data? There IS a firm that collects such, at least across larger sales channels. But (like that Simpsons episode where the phone company keeps changing its name) they changed their name and I don't remember what they are called now.

Khorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.