Linda's favorite digital versions of all Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Jaysus! And it’s not even an original, it’s the kinda-cheapish looking ‘Classic Rock Magazine’ version!

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  2. :eek:

Yeah, with I.R.S. going defunct in 1996, these releases have been OOP a loooong time.

3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

TECP? Anyone know what this acronym is ?

4. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

They are products of Teichiku Records Co. Ltd. Teichiku Records Co., Ltd.

Could be Totally Excellent CD Pressing (TECP). But I doubt it.

Plan9, hutchguv, wrat and 2 others like this.
  5. Greenalishi

TECP?

6. hutchguv and Greenalishi like this.
  7. Greenalishi

Thank you

8. Gus Tomato

They also put out the first two Judas Priest albums and the ‘Hero, Hero’ comp.

Greenalishi and hutchguv like this.
  9. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Yes, the 1990 release of Sad Wings Of Destiny is actually my favourite digital mastering. And there are a LOT of versions out there…. I have at least 5 plus a needle drop, I’m not sure if there are more than that, I have…..

1990 Teichiku
    1992 Attic
    .??? Line
    .??? Us RCA
    .??? Complete albums collection

I’m sure I have a snapper in my collection somewhere too, but I’ve never ripped it to my server

10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

OOOHHH! I think Clause should weigh in on this tune....bet he'll have some carefully chosen delicate words.

hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  11. Gus Tomato

It’s total 80’s power ballad - and that’s why I like it! :winkgrin:

BDC, hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Teichiku Records put the Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath CDs out under the Metalmania Series. Some very good versions there. And yes, the SWOD, plus Rocka Rolla, are two of my favorite digital versions out there.

13. In this specific case, I actually hope it stung. Would have been deserved.

I like it too. Ozzy's vocals at the very end of the song sound a bit 'off' to me, but other than that, it is a well-done track IMO. A lot of music from the 1980ies hasn't aged well for me, I don't know why this song is an exception, but it is.

hutchguv likes this.
  14. Gus Tomato

I can remember it being a hit around the time I first got into Ozzy, not so much in Europe but I was aware of it doing well in the US. Also plenty of plays on good ol’ Headbangers Ball on MTV :agree:

15. hutchguv

I also just realised I have a Japanese K2 one…which I would say AVOID

16. Gus Tomato

Yeah I heard that was brickwalled.
    There were two TECP Priest releases, 1990 and 1993 and I think there are differences in the DR numbers.

17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Catch me at the right time and I more or less like it......Guilty pleasure.
    Better than Ozzy singing Changes with Kelly.....
    I'm not a great solo Ozzy fan after the 1st 2 Blizzard records... I do like Speak of the Devil and Tribute.

18. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I've owned several versions of the Ozzy era albums on CD, and I really don't know why my ears don't hear some of the things you all do.

I've never heard a version of any of these albums I thought sounded bad? Maybe I have coincidentally never picked up a version that did sound bad out of sheer luck, but that seems unlikely.

Which is good, I guess. Makes it easy.

19. Gus Tomato

What versions have you bought/own at the moment?

20. hutchguv

I really envy you, I know I’m a little obsessed with things like mastering etc

If you enjoy what you have I’d say that’s excellent

You probably just enjoy music a lot and don’t worry about whether what cd you have has more treble or bass than another or is more compressed.

As you quite rightly say, makes it easy :)

21. hutchguv

Most things are better than Ozzy singing Changes with Kelly :)

I also think the albums with Jake E Lee have some good stuff on them

22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'd say most of whats out there doesn't sound bad, but this thread is about finding the best. You start doing side by side comparisons and differences can be big. This is mostly about varying degrees of good, better and best, which is all up the the individual.. I was playing an original UK Vol 4 needle drop the other day on my pc and my machine stalled..I rebooted the machine and decided to play the rest of the album with the 86 Castle....The Castle to me sounded much better.. The SACD is better yet, but I played the Castle because it was the quickest thing I could click to....

blacksabbathrainbow and hutchguv like this.
  23. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'd agree some, but for me a massive drop off from Diary and Blizzard. I prefer Randy's melodic modal playing over Jake by a mile, and I actually think Jake is faster and cleaner..Might get beat up for that comment....

hutchguv likes this.
  24. hutchguv

Without a doubt, Blizzard and Diary are two exceptional albums, Randy is in my top three favourite guitarists….. The other two being Michael Schenker and Edward Van Halen.

Note I say favourite here, not best or anything…. guitar playing being one of the most subjective of the things I’m interested in.

I just think that the Jake albums did have some very good tunes on them, not a fan of the production so much when I listen to them now, but still hugely enjoyable albums

Diary Of A Madman is one of my all time favourite albums, just incredible stuff on that album…. Randy’s solo’s blow my mind every time I hear them, so melodic to me.

The music that Blizzard band came up with in such a short time is incredible.

I think I’ve said it before, but Bob Daisley’s book is a great read, thoroughly recommend it

Gus Tomato and Greenalishi like this.
  25. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Yep I read Bob's book...still have it.... and I should like more of the Ozzy after Blizzard that he took part in writing..
    Appreciating guitar players is in the ear of the listener....... subjective.... another thing with the Blizzard albums.......Ozzy's vocals are great...IMO far better than the last 2 Sabbath albums that came before it and everything after...The solos on Over the mountain and Flying high again are monumentally great little compositions like the Keyboard solos from Del Shannon's Runaway or John Paul Jones on All my love......I sort of categorize those melodic solos together, all melodic and great...