The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

She's Got Everything - A great little throwback, and that Romantics cover shows that it can be adapted to other eras too. Regarding the Kinks version, if I'm going to be picky, I think the main vocals are a little bit drowned out in the chorus. I love the addition of the handclaps. A great track that probably should have been an A side in 65 or 66, but man, they had a lot of competition for what to put out for solid singles. Regarding the "do do dos", there is a new song called "Golden" by Harry Styles that uses similar "do do dos" in the intro and chorus. So I'm glad to see there is still a market for some throwback elements in modern pop.

The MEZ, Zeki, Wondergirl and 8 others like this.
  2. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

Another day, another great Kinks song! Raucous, catchy, irresistible. That 'paint stripping' solo is stunning enough (reminds me of "I Can't Explain" esp with the handclaps and all) but I must draw attention to the little concluding duel guitar break. Anyone who's ever been in a teen band will know that for most players, this is what electric guitar actually sounds like.. forget the smooth tones of your Claptons (et al). I love that The Kinks always seem to be playing at the peak of their technical abilities.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great happenings 55 years time ago!

ooan, Adam9, DISKOJOE and 1 other person like this.
  4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"She's Got Everything"

A rollicking good tune. It very easily could slip onto Kinda Kinks and fit right in. Recorded in early 1966 but sounds more like early 1965. Did I miss the story on this song? I have it as a bonus track on Face To Face. This was never released back in the day? Around every corner there seems to be another lost Kinks gem.

The alternative versions of "Little Miss Queen Of Darkness" are interesting, but neither top the album version.

5. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"She's Got Everything"
    Another one I didn't discover until I got the deluxe Face To Face. Great tune. Very early Kinks feel to it in the best way possible. Love the guitar. Great example of Ray's early lyrical and vocal style. Definitely a highlight of their less well-known material.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm not sure of the story, but apparently it pops up as a b-side for Days....
    Which seems rather odd to me lol

Adam9 and palisantrancho like this.
  7. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Instrumental mix of "She's Got Everything" as found on the Pye Anthology:

The track posted by Mark was indeed released in mono in 1968 as the B-side to "Days."

This track is epic. It may seem deceptively like another "I Need You," but structurally it takes their early sound into the realm of a garage mini-opera. And the chord changes are actually pretty complex and surprising.... which I guess could be said of most of their other "I Need You"s, too.

The early version with the alt lyrics also show that not all dumb lyrics are equal. The first version lyrics are throwaway. This version adds "pretty ringlets in her hair" and other beautiful little touches. It's sleazy, sensual, fun, kinda "just right" in every way.

French horn on the early version!! Is that Mr. Albert Hall? One oddity when "Dead End Street" was discussed was a mention of the first version featuring Albert Hall on horn, which then allegedly inspired an extra double-meaning wink to the Albert Hall mention in "Session Man." As "Session Man" was recorded earlier, as far as everyone knows, that didn't make any chronological sense (if it was anything other than a myth).

I don't think we have a definitive timeline for when the vocals were recorded. They may have been done a few days after the "early" version. Or, they may well have been done in 1968, which would explain why it took until then for it to be released. But I've looked into this quite a bit, and all the dates for those vocal overdubs seem to be conjecture. One argument in favor of 1968: If one listens to the double-tracked portions of "Last Of The Steam Powered Trains" from 1968, we hear pretty similar vocals. The final take shows much more playfulness and vocal flexibility than the early one; but that could also be the result of a couple more days of sitting with the track in 1966.

Another reason it could have been held back is just that their sound was evolving so rapidly, and they became more excited about other tracks. It doesn't seem that anyone knows with any certainty. That track has bounced around various deluxe editions, depending on whether a given compiler was oriented towards release dates or initial recording dates. Clearly it feels more like a 1966 track, and it may or may not be fully 1966.

(There's a similar issue with the Beatles' "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)." It's a 1967 backing track, 1969 vocal track, and the final B-side of their final 1970 single. It feels much more in the spirit of their 1967 Christmas message, and it was placed in 1967 on the Anthology. I think that's right.)

The riff that shows up mid-song in the breakdown is likely the basis of Deep Purple's 1973 AOR hard-rock hit "Woman From Tokyo."

"She's Got Everything" was among the tracks that had been sent to Reprise in 1968, and was scheduled to be the opening track of the scrapped 11-song album "Four More Respected Gentlemen," which would have been a US-only track-overlapping alternative to the 12-song withdrawn European "Village Green Preservation Society." A terrible idea, those parallel selectively-marketed albums, and an idea that was thankfully stopped (in spite of the good tracks that were exclusive to it).

Nonetheless, it is my hunch is that the stereo mix existed by then. There wasn't much they could do with stereo on it; so as with the "Session Man" harpsichord intro, the rhythm guitar jumps to one speaker for its solo moment.

Four More Respected Gentlemen - Wikipedia

Hootsmon, Jon H., Zeki and 8 others like this.
  8. Steve E.

I think you're handling the programming of this thread beautifully. I appreciate it when you address songs that were released before their albums in order of their release (for example, "Till The End Of The Day"). It puts us back into the time. What would it have been like to be a rabid Kinks' fan at the time? We get to hear the single preceding the album. It's a great way to experience this stuff.

I think putting held-back tracks more-or-less in the time frame of the years they were recorded is good, too. Or at least mentioning them. I think it made sense to put "She's Got Everything" here. There is no perfect way to deal with situations like this.

I am predicting the annoying thing you just learned, and I'm keeping it to myself...until Friday. :D And yes, there are OTHER annoying details from that timeframe, and I am gonna mention them, at least in passing.....on Friday :D

9. Steve E.

Here's the stereo mix of "She's got everything." Clearly the panning at 1:30-1:35 was done on the fly by pushing a button, and imperfectly. It's similar to some of the other pans on the stereo VGPS.

10. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Well, it did eventually pop up on the B-side of "Days" a couple of years later. Good tune. It always reminded me of this Knickerbockers single that would've been recorded during that same period:

One Track Mind

11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

She's Got Everything:
    Exactly what I thought when I first heard it.

12. mark winstanley

It certainly sounded like it to me.

13. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

We talking the Dave solo issue here? I’m so curious!

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

Nah
    It's a b-side that blew my mind... it's a couple of years early :)
    I had no idea it was older..... but that has all sorts of things running through my head, so I'll save it for then, or I'll have nothing to say

15. All Down The Line

Well that's close to my mother's side of the family so maybe i am half-cocked?

Wondergirl and mark winstanley like this.
  16. All Down The Line

Mark now you are jumping ahead referencing Arthur!

Steve62 and mark winstanley like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Not quite, but close.... I'm trying not to reference anything :)

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

She's Got Everything
    Dead.
    Pop perfection.
    I was obsessed with this song a few months back. And man, do I want to DANCE when I hear this. This tune should be up there with other fantastic pop confections of the 60s. It's a real shame it never got its due.
    The way Ray vocalizes "ev-REH-thing" is simple yet brilliant. And the bass and the guitar solo and the doo doo's and the piano. it's a powerhouse.
    there's a guitar part that always reminds me of "Woman from Tokyo" by Deep Purple. Am I the only one that hears that?

vanhooserd, Zeki, ARL and 11 others like this.
  19. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I just posted my take on the song, and hadn't read other posts...just so you know I didn't steal my thoughts on this from ya! :winkgrin:

20. All Down The Line

When I listened to this I started imagining Ol' Blue Eyes or Tony Bennett singing their metered interpretations.
    Thanks Ray!

21. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Please read the final three word phrase in post 3765 or forgive me for underestimating you.

22. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Right. Like thieves always admit their crimes.

Wondergirl likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

You're almost certainly underestimating me, because you obviously think I care

24. All Down The Line

I was waiting to hear someone else mention the embryonic My Woman From Tokyo riff.
    It seems even more pronounced on guitar on the earlier demo version from the box set.

25. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

An awesome cover by Old '97s. Who woulda thunk? The bass and piano at the end shines.