Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Definitely.

Cazale, TimeandTempo and RayS like this.
  2. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

well, remixes can have alternate vocals too.

3. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I guess pressing plants are backed up enough that having a test pressing in hand now wouldn't be completely insane.

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Or be manipulated in any number of ways. The vocal definitely sounds different to me too but I’m not confident in quite what manner from the brief snippet.

Justin Brooks likes this.
  5. youknow

youknow Forum Resident

The vocal is definitely another take, but the arrangement doesn't sound "more reggae" than the released version.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

The comment on the post says "dubplate stylee" which I assume means this is a test pressing of the doctor dread remix. But we'll see I guess!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  7. Justin Brooks

yes no doubt about that. i wonder of the RSD tracks would be on the box set? i guess only if they make a remixed version of the album a part of that...

8. Sean Murdock

But that's not really a "remix" then, is it? It's a new mix of an alternate take.

RayS likes this.
  9. DeeThomaz

Many remixes incorporate elements found on the multi-tracks that weren’t included on the final mix (and as it happens, the Infidels sessions featured multiple songs that Dylan re-recorded his vocals for, such as “Sweetheart Like You” and indeed “Jokerman”). If the original discarded vocals are still on the tapes, I suppose it becomes something of a semantic argument in instances like these.

Sean, ronbow and shadow blaster like this.
  10. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

The vocal sounds to me identical to the take on this set:-

[​IMG]

11. Sean Murdock

Yes, this. I think most people interpret "remix" to mean "the master take mixed anew." (Unless we're talking about an 80's style dance remix.) What was playing in that clip was clearly an alternate take -- definitely the vocal, maybe the music too. Something that hasn't been mixed for release before can't be RE-mixed if it's the first time it's being issued, right?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. Percy Song

I think there is only one alternate studio take circulating (well, among the great unwashed like me). The vocal on that Rare Cool Stuff clip is definitely from that alternate take, or I'm a Dutchman.

13. Justin Brooks

anticipation for an announcement is killing me. i can wait a little while to hear the set once i pre-order. just wanna see a tracklist and release date. c'mon Bobby.

Sean, Sean Murdock and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. wanderer1

wanderer1 Forum Resident

15. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

wow! So at first I'm listening and realizing that there is really nice stereo separation between the guitars, and a crisp sound.. compared to the version I had, which is an audience.. and realized-- this is a soundboard of this, released by dylan's official youtube channel! Which means that they have this show in beautiful sounding soundboard quality, - its a great show, too, with some unusual songs (samson and delilah, you win again, sing me back home-- interesting that these are all songs that were done by the grateful dead, too)

infidels, scminfidels, bring on a big big never ending tour box with this show (and more from 88, 96,97,98,99, 200, 2001, 2002 and 2019!)

(tho yeah, i'm looking forward to the 'infidels box' if it is released, too, ofcourse)

16. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

In case others aren't aware, this track was already released as the B-side of a 2009 RSD 7". I can only assume Dylan's YouTube channel posted it now as today is the 17th anniversary of the performance.
    Carry on.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Who was playing lead at this time? This wasn't during Charlie's tenure IIRC

18. DeeThomaz

Also on this CD:

Bonnaroo (Music Festival 2004) (2005, CD)

Notable for featuring the revamped lyrics that were included in the subsequent edition of the official Lyrics book.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  19. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

According to Bob Links:

Bob Dylan - piano
    Larry Campbell - guitar, slide guitar, cittern, pedal steel, fiddle
    Stu Kimball - guitar
    Tony Garnier - bass
    George Recile - drums

Sean, Floater, windfall and 1 other person like this.
  20. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

This track was also a b-side for the remix cd single of Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) circa 2007... if memory serves.

Fred1970 and Floater like this.
  21. scottc

scottc Forum Resident

I think Bob (or his team) must have been particularly happy with the Bonnaroo performance.

Another track from the show was featured on Bootleg Series 8: Tell Tale Signs (disc 3, track 2: Cold Irons Bound).

And four covers from the set were available to stream on BobDylan.com back in the day:

Samson & Delilah
    Sing Me Back Home
    Pancho & Lefty
    You Win Again

I could be completely wrong, but I can’t think of another NET show with that many songs officially released.

22. Percy Song

Rather than a known song lyric, perhaps it will be a phrase taken from one of the contemporaneous notebooks:-

"The Bootleg Series Vol. 16: Mystery Babylon Mother Of Whores" could be an appropriate contender.

Or, if that's too tame, then:-

"The Bootleg Series Vol. 16: Spirit Romp Zone Of Flesh & Bone"

Too Frank Zappa, maybe?

scottc, asdf35, Sean and 5 others like this.
  23. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

More In, More Fidels

Crush87, Alfie Noakes, scottc and 6 others like this.
  24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I always thought "Outfidels" was one of the coolest, simplest bootleg titles.

tstrapac, scottc, asdf35 and 7 others like this.
  25. S1m0ne

S1m0ne Forum Resident

Since Infidels was the first record to come out after the so-called "Christian Trilogy", a cool title could be "After The Flood".

Sean, scottc, asdf35 and 1 other person like this.