UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

It's a black one.

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm leaning towards genuine promo, it mentions the catalogue number for the (previous) '94/'96/'98 issues so late 1990s or 2000? Anyone know when those computer specs were current?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    AlmostHeavenWV and MC Rag like this.
  3. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very interesting, I'm guessing totally legit. The enhanced content is just weird for a commercial release so I'm guessing an industry promo from between 1998-2000.

There are many Joy Division nuts on the forum, I think you should post on a Joy Division thread and see what they say.

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Looks like this official release with the barcode and other details at the top missing:

[​IMG]
    EG.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

No reason for a barcode on a promo.

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Never seen a promo with the barcode rectangle there, but blank.

EG.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Although I'm struggling to name one I have a few examples, the graphics will have been designed and approved long before they applied for the barcode, so promos not only didn't need one, but were sent out before barcodes were even assigned. If I remember something I have with the blank space I'll post a pic. With us our graphic designer will do the art work leaving the space blank and then add the barcode when we receive it from the distributor who handle them for us, I assume it's separate departments for most labels. Obviously you can also get promos where the barcode has been stickered over, but that's generally the standard release with added sticker/s rather than a more elaborate promo.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  8. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

I quite like Laura Marling, I don't know if she'll be a desert island artist for me but she has some good songs. I Speak Because I Can was the first one I bought as well. The title song contains the couplet "I speak because I can, To anyone I trust enough to listen" which for me is a great encapsulation of introversion, especially as it was written by someone so young. I'm now enjoying Semper Femina, which has a slightly different style to the others.

AveryKG and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

Don't know if it is significant, but in the text on the Enhanced CD sticker, [Record Company] also looks like a place-holder in square brackets, similar to the "you may wish to add your own legal disclaimers etc, I assume your legal department will be able to advice you on this." text. Could it be some kind of "proof of concept" or early proof copy?

10. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Mac OS 7.5.5, that would be about 1824 ;)

wrappedinsky and Dubmart like this.
  11. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

C
    Cheers - seems that way! Will do some further digging. Thanks!

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

What are the matrix/SID codes. These will tell you where it is made and mastered.

13. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Looking like the drinks will be on Biily tonight!

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oxfams.
    Inflated prices.

AveryKG likes this.
  15. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

Laura Marling is one of the artists who sums up why charity shop hunting is such fun. I was vaguely aware of her existence due to various articles in newspaper arts sections etc but not sufficiently interested to investigate further. However, when I found A Creature I Don't Know in one of my local shops for roughly the price of a Mars Bar, I thought why not. It's a decent album and, while I'm not a huge fan of her stuff, a decent addition to my collection. I quite enjoyed her set supporting Neil Young & Bob Dylan at Hyde Park a couple of years ago and recognised a couple of the songs as a result.

There's no way I'd have shelled out full price for a CD by an artist I wasn't sure about but, given the low prices, charity shops offer you the opportunity to experiment. In the same way I have discovered Clinic, Guided By Voices, Fiery Furnaces, Cosmic Rough Riders, Art Brut, Joy Zipper and countless others.

This inspired me to write an article for the Channel 4 News website, about the joys of bargain hunting:

A beggar’s banquet on the British high street

robtodd, JonW, knb and 13 others like this.
  16. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I see quite a few Laura Marling CDs on my travels but never bothered picking one up as I assumed she must be like Dido or Duffy or something:). Always get a bit suspicious if I see an artist over and over again in a charity shop. I’ll pick one up next time (Probably won’t see one now !!)

17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Really nice article that absolutely nails the highs and lows of it all. Excellent stuff.

Great Face For Radio likes this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I did once own that Best of by Guided by Voices.

19. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Excellent article, really enjoyed that, thanks.

20. Head Gardener

Head Gardener Forum Resident

I picked these up in a charity shop ages ago but recently found them again in one of the many boxes of CD's in my garage, all boxed up & stored after I moved up north earlier in the year.
    The One Cut disc looks like I hardly ever played it and the top 2 are We Love You Records comps and all 3 have artwork which makes them collectable because of some fella called Banksy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, this was a sweet find in a charity shop in Arbroath recently, a minty UK issue complete with booklet.

[​IMG]

21. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Great article, thanks for writing and sharing it.

As Ry Cooder says in the Beuna Vista Social Club booklet, "Music is a treasure hunt. You dig and dig and sometimes you find something."

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Sounds like you got a rarity there anyway, good find.

23. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Great article

24. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

You are SQ of the FOF and I claim my £5. Hope all's well. Didn't know you'd Hit The North!

25. Head Gardener

Head Gardener Forum Resident

yes mate, guilty as charged and the cheque is in the post, am loving the East Coast vibes up here, better than Northampton believe me!