Muzishare X7 - an affordable hand-wired KT88 integrated made at the Line Magnetic factory

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Dec 10, 2020.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed a difference in sound between CD and line-1/2 inputs? I just changed my dac from CD to Line-1 and could swear the sound is more relaxed.

I could be imagining it.

3. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Regarding my above post ^^^, I'm pretty sure I was imaging the difference between the CD and Line 1 inputs. Using the dB meter on my phone, I measured the same song at the same volume setting twice for each input, and all 4 measurements averaged 69 db for the duration of the song.

Manimal likes this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

@rischa, how does the Muzishare compares to your Decware? Or is it too early to tell.

rischa likes this.
  5. Michael OBrien

Michael OBrien New Member

I'm relatively new to all this, so forgive any ignorance on my behalf here.

Has anyone a/b compared this to the willsenton r8? I thinking about pulling the trigger on the muzishare x7, but am split between it and the R8. Are there any major differences in power or performance between these two? Or is it merely that one has a phono?

I have a rega fono mk3 preamp. will i able to use this with the muzishare and bypass it's built in phone stage? Or should i just use the one built in and sell the rega?

6. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

The R8 can use EL34 tubes in addition to KT88, the X7 can't. I think the X7 looks cooler, fwiw.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. action pact

I use a Rega Fono MM with my X7, plugged into one of the line level inputs.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I need to do more listening because my thoughts on this keep changing. I will say the X7 is a completely different beast than the Decware gear, for better in some cases and worse in others. Generally I love the X7 and it lights up my Omegas in ways the Decware amps can't.

9. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Rischa, which Omegas do you have. I am about to grab a pair of Louis' Outlaw 3XRS with the 8" built-in active subs.

-Chris

rischa likes this.
  10. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Sorry for the late reply (this is my busy season at work). I have Omega Super Alnico High Output XRS towers. The Muzishare is a GREAT Combo with the Omegas.

The magic doesn't really come through, but here's a short video of the Muzi and Omegas playing Feist if anyone's interested:

Manimal, h1pst3r88 and 5-String like this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Do they make the Willsenton R8 there?

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I chose the Willsenton R8 over the Muzishare due to versatility but I like the way the Muzishare looks over it. Really cool looking amp that I’m sure sounds awesome

SandAndGlass and h1pst3r88 like this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

And knowings half the battle:)

14. action pact

Does the carton say it is made by Zhuhai Meishi?

[​IMG]

15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Somebody downstream answered my question. Apparently they do make the Willsenton also.
    It was a tough decision for me between the Muzishare and Willsenton R8 due to looks. I love the look of the Muzishare but now I have the R8 here I’m pretty happy with the looks. And sounds beautiful. Looks are important to me for sure.

SandAndGlass and action pact like this.
  16. action pact

Your R8 in black is pretty sharp looking.

SandAndGlass, h1pst3r88 and Manimal like this.
  17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Thanks.

18. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

After owning the X7 for around a month and a half I’m constantly being surprised on the level of detail, and the layers of music that I’d never noticed in the past.
    Cymbals ring out so clearly…the drums sound extremely natural, as do the vocals. And the attack and decay on all instruments are just spot on.
    I never thought I’d be a “tube guy”. I always assumed that tube amps would sound mushy or murky compared to a ss amp or receiver. But I couldn’t have been more wrong. Honestly, I should have known better; having always preferred tube based guitar amps to ss…but then most of the time those things don’t necessarily mirror one another.
    There is absolutely no hum at all coming from this amp…it is dead silent.
    I do believe that I’ll eventually switch the kt88s to Gold Lions eventually…and do the same for the preamp tubes. Right now I’m using early ‘60s GE 12au7s and a NOS 2003 Sovtek 12ax7 lps.
    But, I’m in no hurry to switch anything for the time being. I’m just going to sit back and spin more records. ;)

19. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I think a good percentage of forum members here also believe that. Other tube-amp descriptors I've often heard used that are misleading as far as perceived sound quality goes are "colored", and "distorted" output compared to SS, which would certainly turn ME away from tube amps -- had I not heard any before!

20. action pact

The X7 is my first modern tube amp, and also my first experience with switchable Ultralinear and Triode modes.

At first, I listened exclusively in UL mode because Triode sounded rolled-off and less dynamic, but I've since come to appreciate what Triode brings to the party. It's a particularly good fit for '50s-'60s recordings that benefit from the enhanced midrange glow and plumpness that Triode provides, ie: jazz, vocals, lounge/exotica, etc. On the other hand, most modern recording benefit more from the wider frequency range, tighter bass, and quicker dynamics that UL provides. I'm glad to have both options!

21. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I still primarily listen to mine in UL mode, but on a few records I’ve experimented switching to Triode to see if it would tame the…edginess (for lack of a better word) of the records sound. And these were also ‘60s records (The Grassroots). But to me it seemed to take away too much of the dynamics of the recording. I’m thinking that the Gold Lion 12au7s and 12ax7 would help tame this as well. I’m also considering switching from the Audio-Technica AT-OC9XSL to the AT-OC9XSH cartridge to get a bit more mid range. But to be honest, this is splitting hairs at this point. I could be perfectly satisfied with the way it’s set up now.

SandAndGlass and action pact like this.
  22. action pact

Yeah, that's why I almost always listen to rock/pop records in UL mode.

I also find that Triode mode is sometimes more enjoyable when listening at higher volume levels.

PooreBoy likes this.
  23. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Agreed. This is why I am interested in another tube amp flavor to complement my single-ended triode amp. I am looking at amps that have the ability to use KT88 and EL-34 as well as switch between UL and Triode modes, the former for more detail and energy for certain musical genre (rock, large ensemble jazz and classical).

While my LM-218ia is so nice with a lot of music (vocal, acoustic, smaller ensemble jazz and classical, and a lot of singer/songwriter type stuff) when it comes to more dense jazz, classical, or rock music, the same virtue that makes a SET amp amazing-- that nice slower, heavier, liquid, and plump tone -- becomes a vice for detail and clarity; like a velvet coffin (it's oh so damn comfortable, I could die here).

There is a Doge 10 mkii I am interested in, but the Doge 10 mkiii is interesting because of the pre-in as I am intrigued to try different preamps -- the X7 gives you guys that ability which is cool.

So much cool stuff!
    PS. My Omega Outlaw Super 3 XRS with built-in 8" active subs arrive on Friday... yesss!

-Chris

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not to hurry, but for somewhere down the road. Try some NOS RFT EL34 power tubes. You can find them from sellers on eBay.

You hear about the midrange magic of this tube. The problem is that modern EL34 tubes don't have this magic.

NOS tubes, very much so. Large NOS tubes power tubes like KT88's are very scarce and you might pay $1,300 pet tube (or more), which is out of the question.

You should be able to get a quad of the NOS RFT's for under $300. These are the real deal. I am telling you this as someone who likes the sound signature of KT88's over more modern and more powerful tubes like the KT-120's.

When I sent my KT88 driven M-120 monoblock's back to Rogue to be upgraded, I chose to deliberately upgrade them to the M-150's rather than the M-180, which are the more powerful KT-120 version.

The KT-120's do have more HF and bass extension and are more dynamic. However this is something that is not necessary with highly sensitive horn speakers like you and I have. The may work better for some types of music, but they just don't have the same mellow midrange as the KT88's.

I have an Audio Note Kit amp that only uses EL34's. It is a very nice sounding amp. But, with the RFT's, it becomes magical when it comes down to playing midrange dependent material. Vocals, Jazz and Acoustic music becomes downright spooky sounding.

For these types of music, its like you upgraded to a completely different amp and new speakers.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind...

Manimal and rischa like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not you, it's the buzz on the Internet.

Don't believe what negatives you here about horn speakers either!