Muzishare X7 - an affordable hand-wired KT88 integrated made at the Line Magnetic factory

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Dec 10, 2020.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Changing out power tubes will probably not do very much for this. The amp is a moderately powered amp at 45-WPC in ultralinear mode and still decent at 25-Watts in triode mode.

But your speakers are nice vintage speakers from the 70's era and were designed more for solid state amplification, with more available power. The 45-Watt ultralinear mode is completely workable. The lower powered triode mode just doesn't have enough oomph to get the job done.

These are speakers that will sound fine in the ultralinear mode. Speaker designs like these don't benefit from triode operation.

You really need to get into horn loaded and other high sensitivity type speakers to get the most out of lower powered triode amplifiers.

trd likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

So much is dependent on your speaker's. I had a 518iA that I used with my legacy Altec Lansing A7 theater speakers and with the 22-Watts that the 518iA delivered, it was really an end game amp. Had more power than I would really ever need and not at all flabby sounding. Just natural and not harsh at any SPL.

james and h1pst3r88 like this.
  3. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Agreed, my friend!

I recently acquired and integrated a set of Omega Outlaw Super 3XRS speaker with built-in 8" subwoofers. They are a magnificent match to my Line Magnetic LM-218ia SET amp!

Synergy between amp and speaker is the X factor.

I just purchased a new-to-me Cayin A60T, a 6L6 push-pull amp which is switchable between ultra-linear and triode modes. I am anxious to audition the Cayin with the Omegas though I am equally intrigued to try them with my Polk LSi15 speakers in 35-watt mode to see what's the what.

SandAndGlass and Manimal like this.
  4. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

That’s a fact.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Actually my speakers surprised me as far as power handling. I’ve never have the volume past 10:00, and that’s getting around 88-90db. Plus, the low end would shock you. It’s hits as low or lower than my ss receiver did, plus the low end is really dynamic and tight. RTR made some great sounding speakers before Bic bought them out.
    Mine are rated @ 92db per watt, with a frequency response of 30-25000 Hz.
    But you’re right about using them in triode mode. They sound a little too murky for my tastes.
    But I believe I’m going to have to run a dedicated a/c line just for my stereo equipment. Whoever wired it my house must have been high. Because they put two rooms, the bedroom and living room, on one breaker. Every time the compressor kicks on for the a/c it’s taking away too many amps. Plus since everything in my stereo room is on the same circuit, and I can’t run the a/c in here…making it impossible to listen to in this heat. So I hope I can get the line ran in the next few weeks. I’m hoping this will give the amp all the juice it needs. The wiring I can do, I just need to get someone to pull the wire for me. ;)

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  6. U-Raptor

U-Raptor Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Hi all. Recently bought some GL KT88s to put in mine. Unfortunately, two of the tubes seems to be showing this bias. I have set the bias as low as possible, and they are still literally off the chart. Did I get bad tubes? Or is there a solution I am missing here?

7. U-Raptor

U-Raptor Forum Resident

Figured out the issue. I am just an idiot lol. Please ignore

trd, timind and rischa like this.
  8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure I had that same problem the last time I biased my X7's KT88s.

U-Raptor and h1pst3r88 like this.
  9. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

I am aware that they are different designs ie push/pull versus SE. Naturally 845/211 transformers are far heavier due to the SE design and high operating voltages of those tubes.

My point was that the construction/component architecture is clearly from the same camp.

10. glrydays

glrydays Active Member

Just curious for those more technically knowledgeable - I own the X& and am very happy with it. Mine is the "standard" edition - without the upgraded capacitors - does anyone think the "upgrade" is legit and worth doing? If so, where could one purchase the "upgraded" capacitors from if I was going to take to someone or attempt a DIY? Thanks!

Here's a link to show the image of the "upgrade"

Muzishare X7 KT88 x4 integrated tube amplifier& power amp MM Phono&Headphone : China-hifi-Audio online store, Yaqin,Meixing Mingda,XiangSheng,Line Magnetic Tube Amplifier, power amp, preamp,hi-fi CD Player high end audio for sale [MUIA9831425] - $1,099.68 USD

11. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Well, I swapped in my Decware Zen Select this afternoon after a 4 or 5 month absence from the system (I was running the Torii Jr exclusively for a couple months before the Muzishare came) and was immediately reminded that it reigns supreme amongst my stable of amps. Damn, the difference is stark. The little Zen is so detailed, liquid and lifelike. Anyone with the appropriate speakers should own this amp.

That said, the Muzishare still sounds great, and I haven't even attempted to find the perfect tubes for my taste yet, so it still has so much potential. Besides, I never intended to pair the Muzi with my Omegas long term. I bought it to have a more powerful amp on hand with which to try less efficient speakers. It's essentially a way to make my system more flexible. And it's a beautiful piece of rack jewelry.

12. SandAndGlass

Don't neglect the Decware Mini Torii. At 3.9 Watts, having the right speakers is a must, but it is a sweet little amp. I have a Torii Jr. not a bad amp in any way, but not an inspiring amp in any way either.

Dignan2000 and rischa like this.
  13. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

You prefer the Mini Torii to the Jr? Interesting. I'd like to hear the Mini Torii and/or a Rachel in my system someday for sure.

I like the Torii Jr a lot. It's not quite in the same league as the Zen, but it plays louder and is more fun to tube roll. At 20wpc, the Torii Jr sounds closer to the Zen in sound quality and presentation than the 45wpc Muzishare does to the Torri Jr., if that makes sense. Steve Deckert has an updated version of the Torii Jr now that's supposed to sound a bit better. I will probably pay the $500 to have mine upgraded at some point.

As for the Muzishare, my next step is to do some tube rolling. I tried some vintage RCA 12au7's and 12ax7, but ended up preferring the Muzishare tubes. Next I think I'll try Gold Lions in the preamp section.

14. SandAndGlass

Absolutely. I can not find a single fault with the Jr. It does everything well. The EL34's have the bass of KT88's in it. It was a perfect sounding amp, very linear. I just did not seem to have the love factor for it.

The Mini Torii is a dynamic single ended pentode design that sounds fabulous through my vintage restored and upgraded Altec Lansing A7 theater speakers.

I had accumulated a dozen tube amps and I had to pare down the collection. In doing so, I parted with my Line Magnetic 518iA 22-Watt SET, that is an endgame amp with the Altec's. I choose to keep the 3.9-Watt Mini Torii and for something close to SET quality but with more power than the Line Magnetic, I kept the Audio Note Kit EL34 based L4 Kit amp. It has NOS power tubes. I still have the Torii Jr. Though.

Here is a close up of one of the A7's. The Yorkville UCS-1 commercial horn sub is to the left. That's a Decware EL34 based Zen Torii Jr. sitting on the top of the sub.

[​IMG]

15. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

@rischa & @SandAndGlass

Timely conversation about tube amp voices. I have a Line Magnetic LM-218is SET amp (little brother to your former 518, SandandGlass), which ended up being my first tube amp not for guitar. I was almost sold on the X7 until pausing to do a bit more research on the right amp for me; that ended with the LM-218ia.

In short, I love all 80lbs and the luscious tone of that 845-based tone machine. After getting the LM, which was powering my Polk LSi15 speakers, I decided that some Omega speakers were on order to see if there was more magic in going with easier to drive and more refined speakers. That led to a pair of Louie's Omega Outlaw Super 3XRS with built-in active 8" subwoofers... those are spectacular speakers!

But like you both, I was curious about the tone of other tube circuits; and like you, Rischa, I was also interested in another amp with a bit more power to try with other more demanding speakers (like my Polks). Having a lovely SET amp, I was also interested in an amp that played in ultra-linear mode.

Enter a new-to-me Cayin A-60T that I just arrived a couple of weeks ago -- a 6L6-based, 35-watt, push-pull amp that can switch between ultra-linear and triode modes. I have enjoyed this amp for the past few weeks, listening exclusively to it while my SET amp sat idle. Switching between UL and Triode on the Cayin has been fun. If I didn't already have a SET amp, I would think that the triode mode on the Cayin is really nice (smooth and liquid); as expected I quite enjoyed the UL mode for more rocking music and larger ensemble music, yet it gives up little in terms of imaging and soundstage compared with the Line Magnetic.

However, like Rischa, when I plugged in the LM amp yesterday I was reminded the ease with which that amp sings: effortless, smooth yet detailed, and an amazing sense of space and presence in the room. Of course the LM was 3x the price of the Cayin when new, which certainly speaks well to the quality of the Cayin's performance.

Alas, having to choose between two cool and capable tube amps is a nice problem to have. As Rischa says, one cannot have too much of a problem with more "rack jewelry".

...now I just need to get into some tube rolling with the Cayin's 12ax7 and 12au7 frontend to see how that evolves.

-Chris

jonwoody, Archguy, Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.
  16. Newtothis

Newtothis Member

I'm having the same problem. What did you do?

17. Newtothis

Newtothis Member

Never mind, I figured it out as well.

U-Raptor likes this.
  18. Slowestrider

Slowestrider New Member

Line Magnetic's 210A is more line with the X9. I am lookin at the 201A and leaning more toward the X9 for it has better spec. Different decision surely provide very different sounding even with the same 300B tube. Have you heard the 210A before? Mr. Lee stated 845 is better sounding but one can judge from youtube sounding. I am looking at this thread for hoping to gain more insight into Muzishare products.

19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Made some progress tube rolling...

As mentioned up-thread, a couple weeks ago I put the little 2wpc Decware Zen back in my system. It's my reference amp and I needed a refresher as to where my priorities are. With my brain and ears freshly recalibrated, I hooked the X7 back up on Friday with the intention of rolling until I find the tube compliment that gets me closest to the Zen.

I started with what I have on hand and have already made good progress toward that Zen sound using a pair of RCA 12au7's with the Muzishare 12ax7 in the preamp section.

I tried an RCA 12ax7 with the muzishare 12au7's, but that was a total bust. My RCA 12ax7 reportedly tested NOS, but who knows maybe it's a dud.

On order is a Genalex Gold Lion 12ax7. I'm hoping this adds a little transparency to get me even closer.

Anyway, glad I was able to carry the X7 forward after a little reset.

h1pst3r88, PooreBoy and Archguy like this.
  20. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

I have several of the Gold lions (used in my DAC, LM-218, and Cayin A-60T )-- it's a really nice tube. I have a decent stash of 12ax7s and the Gold Lions are often the tube I grab.

Archguy and rischa like this.
  21. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I picked up a JJ 12ax7 from a local guitar store today for 15 bucks. HUGE improvement over the muzishare 12ax7. I'm getting deeper bass, clearer treble, heaps more detail, better imaging. Nice. I honestly wasn't expecting much from the modest JJ, but, wow, puts the muzishare tube to shame.

Looking forward to trying the Gold Lion when it arrives.

Andy Saunders and Archguy like this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My McIntosh C2600 preamp came with JJ 12ax7 rebranded as McIntosh. They are very good. McIntosh claims that they are very reliable and that is the main reason they use them.
    I think that the Gold Lion are even better. I noticed a significant upgrade in warmth, resolution, and overall sound quality when I updated from the JJ to the Gold Lion.

Archguy and rischa like this.
  23. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

JJ 12ax7 with Muzishare 12au7's is definitely the way to go over the JJ with the RCA 12au7's. Man, the RCAs just can't catch a break with the X7.

I've ordered some Gold Lion 12au7's to try with the GL 12ax7. I will bend this amp to my will yet!

24. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

DAMN this little JJ is pulling its weight in the X7. I always thought JJs were guitar amp tubes? -- guess I'm easily impressed! I could live with this sound for the rest of my life and be a happy man.

5-String, h1pst3r88 and timind like this.
  25. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Picked this up locally today. Hope it's worth the money.

[​IMG]

5-String and superstar19 like this.