The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i forgot i owned 6/9/76. i'll get to that this weekend

SJR, ianuaditis, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

If you can sell the kids for a lot, do it and you can buy the Fillmore West Complete 1969 boxset at secondary seller prices. Win-win.

ARK, DrLunchbox, mcrichley and 4 others like this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Eh?

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:p

bzfgt likes this.
  5. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

no one but me here is watching the stream, live, with an actual audience, of weir and wolf bros at red rocks? nice stuff (i posted in the weir and wolf bros thread)

scribbs, trd and ianuaditis like this.
  6. yes. That was a good run all around.

6-8-1977 was also a fine show. And the last one I saw at Winterland.

7. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Interesting you mention that I'm currently listening to 6/9/77 from The Archive. Great show. I don't think I've listened to 6/8 yet from that run. Awesome you got to see that show.

Now listening to Slipknot. Love Jerry's sound on the solo. Has a nice gnarly growl to it.

8. The entire band is doing great work on that.

KCWhistle and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

You just had to say that.

ARK likes this.
  10. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Sorry, Bob.

11. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Does anyone use the playlist function in their streaming app (Relisten, Tapers Section, Greatful Dead Archives, etc..) to listen to the archive stuff?
    I've never gotten around to it but was thinking of dabbling.

-Something like a playlist anthology by venue (The best of the Fillmore, Winterland, even Dane County, etc...)

-Live acoustic anthology.

- Best band member moments. Personally I'd do Jerry.

-Best of the later years live...

-Best Donna PITB vocals :nyah:

-Live rarities.

Does anyone else have ideas?

12. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

All the banter.

ARK, rockinlazys, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Just reiterating that 6/9/77 is a GREAT show as many of you already know.

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Was BW again going for that wet farts guitar tone he fancies with the Wolf Bros?

Phoenician likes this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This arvo’s listening is Winterland June 1977: Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 09/06/77.

It’s the final show from the Winterland 1977 run, and they really saved the best for last! This one is legendary.

This whole show is a highlight! Both sets are quite frankly, ridiculously great and rock-solid all the way through. There's a real energy here, and the band are just switched “on” from the get-go. Some very brief highlights . . .

1st set:
    • A superb, hard-jamming Mississippi Half-Step opener;
    • A sweet and buoyant They Love Each Other just bounces along—riding on a wave of positive vibes;
    • Super-clean, rockin’ versions of Deal and Loser, with some wicked Jerry wizardry;
    • The 1st set-closer is a wildly exciting and thrilling The Music Never Stopped that features a rippin’ climax that just keeps on peaking and peaking. Hot schiit.
    2nd set:
    • The whole lot ... really! After bangin’ set-opener Samson And Delilah, the sequence from Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower (almost the definitive version of this trifecta?) > Estimated Prophet > St. Stephen > Not Fade Away > Drums > St. Stephen > Terrapin Station > Sugar Magnolia, U.S. Blues, One More Saturday Night is an epic, almost greatest hits-like set, that rocks and swings like a mofo and is quite frankly, frikkin’ outrageous.
    Jesus wept!

That’s ‘77 Dead done now until September (DP’s #15 — Englishtown).

I: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Jack Straw, They Love Each Other, Cassidy, Sunrise, Deal, Looks Like Rain, Loser, The Music Never Stopped.

II: Samson And Delilah, Funiculì Funiculà, Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower > Estimated Prophet > St. Stephen > Not Fade Away > Drums > St. Stephen > Terrapin Station > Sugar Magnolia.

E: U.S. Blues, One More Saturday Night.

[​IMG]
    1977/2009 Grateful Dead Records ‎– GRA2-6011

laf848, Jamcoy, Erik B. and 17 others like this.
  17. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Best ever :righton:

KCWhistle, ianuaditis and SJR like this.
  18. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Yesterday's listen: Dave's Pick 38, 9/8/73

It came up in my rotation, but it was interesting to listen to this release for only the second time.

It's a bit of an up-and-down show, though it ends strong. The Eyes is the thing I find most interesting--the jamming starts out as a trainwreck, with Jerry, Bobby and Phil unable to agree on when the big chord change is supposed to happen. Kind of amusing, actually! Keith then takes control with some very inspired playing, leading the jam right into the hot zone from there.

The first-ever WRS is a little tentative and not yet the amazing creation it would become in 1974.

It's a nice show, but I'm still not quite sure why Latvala would have been so high on it. Eh, you can't really go wrong with 1973.

[​IMG]

19. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Dank ass show, we just checked it out from the library.

20. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

This on vinyl?

21. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

No.

22. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

This is one of my absolute favorite songs. I know it’s a cover but I love the interpretation Jerry brings to this timeless song. It has awoken me from many a spiritual, mental block when life has me locked in a tent searching for answers.

23. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

Damn.

24. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Dang.

25. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

First g0-aroud with DP12. I guess I dont get a chance to ease into this one huh? Second set action right off the bat. JUICY

[​IMG]