The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Oh, Pye's grammar department was awful.

Day's
    See My Friend
    Deadend Street (on the Marble Arch LP)
    Shangrila (On the UK 45)

To name but a few.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Thanks. I tend to take Hinman as gospel but I know more info has surfaced since then.

FJFP and mark winstanley like this.
  3. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

The best album ever!

4. FJFP

No problem! It makes sense to base it off the main source, but I tend to feel Andrew's liners are usually pretty solid. Obviously this doesn't cover everything though!

I'd love a definitive list of recording dates. It would be fascinating to see how all these all-over-the-place tracks line up.

5. FJFP

I realised I hadn't looked at your schedule - now I understand! Love this rather jarring one :nyah:

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Doug Hinman has done yeoman work in his research on The Kinks, much, if not all, was done pre-Internet. Unlike the Beatles, whose every move was documented, what Doug did was more like putting together the wreckage from a plane crash.

7. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

You do understand I'd wondered if the Nazz copied the Kinks, not the other way around, yes? The Kinks' basic track, with that hook, preceded the Nazz by over two years.

8. Steve E.

Since we are doing 1966 alt mix day, I'm throwing this up here. Somehow I missed this existence of this??!!??? Was this posted earlier in the thread? It's an alt mix of "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" with a near-whispered vocal from Dave on the verses. It is believed to date from May 12, 1966. Hm! Does that mean the final vocal is also from May, and not from January 1966 (which is when the backing track was probably recorded)? Sunny Afternoon was recorded May 13, 1966, and the single with both songs was released in June 1966. It seems to have an alternate line in the chorus: "And I don't want to stay surprised like everybody else" huh? Am I hearing that right?

Freek999, Jon H., bato and 7 others like this.
  9. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I don't think 'See My Friend' was a mistake.

CheshireCat and mark winstanley like this.
  10. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

I’m glad you mentioned this as I think it is an important distinction. Most all of these “alternate stereo mixes” that are on the 2010’s releases of the 2CD Deluxe sets, the big Super Deluxe sets, and The Anthology are all new mixes done at the time these sets were being planned and researched. Sandoval did some of these and there were other folks who worked on some of the other sets including one Raymond Douglas Davies.
    I think of these modern mixes as “Remixes” whereas anything actually mixed back in the 60s at the time of recording as “Alternate Mixes” for any song that had more than one
    stereo mix (or very less common a mono mix) even if that Alternate was not released until years/decades later.

11. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

Now would be a good time to mention something. Below is a photo of the U.S. only "Great Lost Kinks Album" compilation. Click HERE for more information on it. I'm bringing it to your attention, because it contains two Arthur era rarities that never popped up on any Sanctuary re-issues, "Til Death Do Us Part" and "When I Turn Off The Living Room Light." If you wish to include them when we get into 1969, there are multiple uploads of both of them on YouTube (HERE and HERE). Both songs are from "Where Was Spring?"

[​IMG]

12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Actually, both of those tracks appear on the Village Green Preservation Society super deluxe edition.

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Cheers mate

14. mark winstanley

Interesting...
    The catalog is certainly confusing when it comes to outtakes and such, with there having been, apparently, no records of any particular description kept....

Oh well, one way or another, we'll get to them all, wherever they may pop up :)

15. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

I first heard this off The Kinks Kronikles back in 1973. The album was on a double length cassette. It was kind of buried toward the end. When it started I said why have I not heard this before??? I always consider it a perfect example of classic early Kinks sound. Something you can't help but move to and have a smile put on your face. Your spirit gets lifted like the best rock'n'roll can do! Love it!

16. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

This makes me think of the consequences of Ray’s declaration of “I’m Not Like Everybody Else.”

The band’s biggest chart successes were actually when the band was just like everybody else, and could be appreciated and marketed that way e.g. in 1964-65 as another en vogue mop top English quartet playing uptempo boy/girl dance music, and in the late 70’s, early 80’s as another FM radio AOR arena-rock band. But 1966 to 1976 was the era of Ray playing by his own rules, following his own muse, and being the auteur. As result, the band simply didn’t fit a proven, successful marketing mold. Their record companies had to adapt to The Kinks rather than the other way around. While the music was the better for it, audiences who were more interested in trends simply decided to not pay as much attention.

17. FJFP

It’s “Friends” on everything else, and is Friends in the song.

18. mark winstanley

Totally.... I reckon if they had followed that route they would have faded away fast.

I understand this perspective, but I don't necessarily totally agree with it.... but that's for another day.
    "Totally" being the most significant word in that sentence

DISKOJOE and All Down The Line like this.
  19. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Not much to add on the alternate stereo mixes today - I'm not a fan of vocals hard-panned to one side, and we get some of those on the next album. The extra 30 seconds of "Fancy" is appreciated, though, and should have been included on the album version.

20. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I'm just going by what's listed in Wikipedia (HERE). I don't see them on any CD re-issue of the Village Green album. They really don't belong on one, because they were recorded in early 1969, and are both thematically and sonically more of the Arthur gestalt.

21. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

22. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  23. Steve E.

And/or here:
    The Kinks – The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society (2018, Box Set)

"Till Death Us Do Part" is a 1968 track w guide vocal, recorded for a movie of the same name. I seem to recall it precedes the last VGPS session by a month.
    This and "Pictures in the Sand" w vocal were forced out of print by Ray until very recently -- the Anthology, I think, was their return.

The "Where Was Spring" tracks -- two of them -- are from early 1969, the second being "Where Did My Spring Go?"

But we are getting ahead of ourselves.

24. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Oo
    thanks for that. I had wondered if I had it the wrong way around when I posted. I need to think a bit harder before I start typing.

Steve E. and mark winstanley like this.
  25. Er, are you sure Songs Of Leonard Cohen was 1967?