New to 5.1, can't get a DVD with DTS Digital Surround to play in 5.1 rather than stereo*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geordiepete, May 25, 2021.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's probably just this title, as they are all authored individually and differently. You never know, though. My advice would be to test another KC DVD, preferably not from the same release year.

Geordiepete likes this.
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Revised thread title to address some confusion. Please continue...

Geordiepete likes this.
  3. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer Thread Starter

I got the recent LP of Lark' Tongues this Christmas, but it was terribly noisy even after several careful wet cleanings, so I ruefully returned it and replaced it with the 40th anniversary 2-disc set. Love it, save for what seems to be an authoring problem with some set-ups that should be fine but aren't.

4. Geordiepete

Thank you!

5. Geordiepete

That's quite relieving to know, as I was really wanting to get more from this series of releases, but of course worried by this issue! What with my noisy but new copy of the Larks' Tongues 2013 (original 1973 mix) LP that I had to return, then this apparent disc menu authoring problem, I've not had the best luck with this title! Love the music, though!

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Plan9 likes this.
  6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

IS there one? Jeez, I gotta look at mine, I'm traveling though. I have the whole set of first stuff in 5.1, have played like 3, we didn't have issues. That was on an Oppo UDP-203 however.

Geordiepete likes this.
  7. Geordiepete

The blu-ray is Disc 15 of the big box that the 5.1.

8. heapbag

heapbag Active Member

So I felt compelled to register and offer my input as it was through Googling the same issue that I found this thread.

I recently purchased both ITCOTCK & LTIA 40th Anniversary editions. I loaded up LTIA into my PS5 that I have hooked up to my AV Receiver and same as you, when I select DTS 5.1 it will only play in 2.0 Channel. However, ITCOTCK was able to play DTS 5.1 on my PS5 no problems!

I also have a dedicated UHD Blu-Ray player (LG UBK90) hooked up to the same receiver, and wouldn't you know...LTIA played in glorious (albeit lossy) DTS 5.1.

So I wanted to let you know, that in my case (and most likely yours) for some reason the PS4/5 and Lark's DVD-A do not co-operate well when it comes to playing in 5.1. But like I said, the debut album funnily enough worked. Why is this the case? I have no idea, but others on here (smart people from what I've read!) chalk it up to sometimes certain players with certain formats just don't play nice!

Anyways, hope you don't stress too much over this. I do have the 40th Anniversary Editions of Poseidon, Lizard and Islands shipping to me in the next few weeks. If I remember & the thread isn't too old I'll offer my findings on how well those respective DVD's play on my PS5.

Cheers

Plan9 and Geordiepete like this.
  9. Geordiepete

Thanks, Heap, and welcome to the forum!

Would be good to know which of the others don't work in DTS 5.1 with the PS4/5.

Rather than keep on fiddling with cables and settings, I've left the issue in the capable hands of the disc-authoring expert at Burning Shed/Schizoid Shop, who is looking into this.

10. Geordiepete

Still waiting (since May) for DGM's DVD/blu-ray authoring expert to get back with a fix.

11. Geordiepete

The chap who authored this DVD is now in touch with me. We think a way of my getting the high-res files to play 5.1 on my system is for him to send me them then I home-stream them from my Mac using Plex to the Plex app on my PS4, passing through my 5.1 receiver, to my surround speakers.

He needs to know what high-res codecs Plex will transmit that will then play on my system. I searched online but am none the wiser if DTS-HD MA will work that way. I do know FLAC 5.1 files work that way for me, as I have some of those, but FLAC is a container, not a codec. Any suggestions here?

12. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

My concern would be if your system will play the files gaplessly?

Geordiepete likes this.
  13. Geordiepete

Never had a problem with that, using this set-up, with my mono, stereo, or 5.1 files in MP3, AAC, or FLAC.

C.Ludwig likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If the disc is DVD-A, you really need a DVD-A player to take full advantage of the content. Sony doesn't make DVD-A players.

Geordiepete likes this.
  15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

They sure do.

Geordiepete, greasepaint and C.Ludwig like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I know for years they did not. That's a major attitude change out of Sony. How about some model numbers on some Sony players which do DVD-A?

17. Geordiepete

That's not the problem, sorry, but I've said that a few times throughout this thread. To reiterate, however, the Larks' Tongues 40th anniversary DVD also has DTS Digital Surround, which should play on a PS4 Pro, unless there is, as in this disc, an authoring problem, which there is, as that option only plays stereo. The DVD author gave me a complicated explanation about why that didn't work—something to do with some big company pulling out, or changing the system—but my point here is that he confirms that it is a DVD authoring problem.

That DVD authoring engineer is now about to prepare the files for then send me a one-time download link to a high res surround version and he needs to know which codec to use. The advantage of him doing this is that not only will I have the surround sound music the disc was supposed to have (which on the PS4 would have been DTS Digital Surround only), I will also have this in a high res format. Probably he'll send in in DTS HD Master Audio, but I don't want him to waste his work-time preparing those files if it is known they won't work.

This page on the Plex site, however, suggests I can use Plex to home-stream the files from my Mac to my PS4 and receiver to hear them in 5.1. Not being expert by any means, however, on surround sound systems, I still can't be confident that would work, although I can hear my Dark Side of the Moon 5.1 by going through Plex to the PS4 and 5.1 receiver.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    McLover likes this.
  18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Geordiepete likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thanks for explaining.

20. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Buy an Oppo player

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. Geordiepete

The guy who authored the DVD sent me the working files, so problem solved. While the authoring was fine, generally, Sony had changed something in their system which meant it wouldn't play properly on a PS4. Not had this problem on any other disc, so don't need to pay a few hundred dollars for an Oppo, great as they may be. I wouldn't turn one down, just don't need one.

McLover, Plan9 and Sevoflurane like this.
  22. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I could not do without mine, mainly because of SACDs which is a WONDERFUL format if you are interested in surround sound....which I am
    I have an Oppo DVD player (will play HDCDs and also foreign DVDs, DVD-As etc....) and then one of the last Oppo Bluray players with the higher end audio processing units in it, forget the number... also handles SACDs....

C.Ludwig and Geordiepete like this.
  23. Geordiepete

Thanks. Actually, I do look at the used stores now and again, but they are still a bit costly for something I don't need to play my music. I tend now to go for surround sound albums in bluetooth format (and sometimes DVD). Not looked too much into it, but SACDs always strike me as costly, perhaps even compared to blu-rays. Maybe an economy of scale is at play, when we compare a new SACD with at a great blu-ray concert, with video too, which has been mixed int0 5.1, sounds great, yet is not very expensive. Anyway, SACDs and Oppos are on the periphery of my wishlist but haven't stimulated the keen desire nerve yet.

24. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

This forum is a bit old school....mostly 2 channel stereo guys who may dabble with SACD 5.1 once in a while.

An economy of scale may be in play when it comes to Blu-ray. Well, you also have the home theater/movie guys in the pool with the music guys (might help subsidize things a bit).

If I told these old school guys that I am submerged/soaked in sonic nirvana right now to a Atmos/Auro 3D native mix on "Blu-ray audio" (16 dollars) on my Auro/Atmos setup....... and it btchslaps the living daylights out of stereo or even 5.1 SACD, these guys (who choose to disbelieve or ignore technological advancement) wouldn't believe it or wouldn't understand what I tried to tell em. :D

Geordiepete likes this.
  25. Geordiepete

Sounds like your having fun! All those guys in the pool isn’t quite my party style, but enjoy! (Place gentle banter emoji here.) Yup, blu-ray is in the main more affordable than rarer SACD and just as great quality. I've not entered the Atmos hot-tub yet, but would like to try. However, since I bought my first 5.1 speakers and receiver this year, I don't think a replacement receiver and some more new speakers will pass muster with Mrs Geordiepete. Still, I do also really love hi-res stereo on headphones, though have been enjoying some 5.1 titles when the wife and three kids are out and I have the house to myself.