What's the Best Indiana Jones Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Oatsdad, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Agree.

I looked at my review and saw it included a lot of complaints, but in a "whole is more than the sum of its parts", I still think it's a largely enjoyable movie.

It gets way more crap than it deserves!

Pete Puma and Doctor Worm like this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Really no worse or less-believable than the raft scene in Temple - I mean, watch that again. It's totally ridiculous.

I haven't read that book, or anything about these rejected scripts, but in these movies there are always dialogue scenes where Indy is talking to another character about previous exploits where he was chased out of a country/kingdom or on some other high level espionage type pursuits. Has anyone ever compiled these together? Do any of the rejected treatments possibly cover these adventures? The guy was literally doing some archeological skullduggery all over the world but the movies only cover these 4 exploits.

4. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

TOD was my least favorite.

5. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

are there versions of Raiders of the Lost Ark where they completely removed the fly? I mean it's kind of weird when it's there one minute, and gone the next

6. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

They said they shot the drop of the raft scene from the plane for real, with dummies on the raft. So I'm not entirely sure why it's ridiculous. The only thing we're not sure if could really happen is if the wind resistance on the descent and the cushioning on landing would be enough to leave the occupants uninjured.

Seems like people have Indiana Jones on the mind now, as a story about this recent interview is making the rounds today on various news sites.

Karen Allen On The Time She Actually Punched Harrison Ford In The Face

Over the last few years that scene has gotten attention because when the two are discussing their past and Marion’s says, “I was a child.” And Indiana Jones says, “You knew what you were doing.” I’m curious what you think of that, because there are some sinister undertones there.

Yeah, I guess you could say that. I think I say I was 16. I don’t know. That’s always what I imagined is she was 16, he was 26. And he was her father’s student. And it’s left very mysterious.

It is.

So we don’t even know what it is. I mean, they could have kissed a few times, and she was just completely bowled over, and he could have just not wanted to get involved with someone so young. And maybe my father would have been furious at him. I mean, what’s great about it is we don’t know what the circumstances are. So she obviously cared deeply for him. He may have cared for her, too. But, in the end, decided it was a dangerous situation and he didn’t want to be involved. I mean, I guess, when something is as vague as that, you can color it any way you want to color it. I’ve tended to color it, sort of, that it was quite innocent. When she says, “It was wrong and you knew it.” I mean, I think maybe he led her on in some way. But when she says she was a child, I think she meant she was 16. Something like that.

I mean, you are the source on this matter. So that’s why I’m really curious what you thought about that.

Yes. I don’t think of him as a pedophile. That’s the direction some of these people are going.

7. Bobby Buckshot

Nah. They dropped out of a plane onto a mountain and slid down over a waterfall into a river. It's ridiculous and cartoonish but enjoyable within the supernatural motifs of these movies. These elements are crucial to the stories in each chapter. We're not watching a documentary with IJ movies.

8. Oatsdad

On Twitter the other day, I saw someone refer to "Temple of Doom" as "balls to the wall non-stop action".

I don't understand that notion, as huge chunks of that movie pass with little/no action.

Really, after the opening sequence, we get little action until the final act!

AndrewK likes this.
  9. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

To me it is clearly not Temple of Doom (too much of boring gratuitous horror) and not Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (just meh). So, either #1 or #3, I like both, but of these only the #3 was made into a game :)

10. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

If Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was made into a movie, it would be my favorite. The music is awesome!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Rocker and JediJones like this.
  11. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Hands down: Raiders of the lost ark.

Named my son Indy because of it.

12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The one with the most ripped out body parts, of course.

13. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

The Blu-ray 4K 4-movie set was released yesterday.

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Raiders cause thats the OG. Its so good. Face meltingly good in fact. ;)

then Crusade. It stands on its own.

Then Temples because Short Round. ;).
    Never saw the other one.

15. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

Tree of Life likes this.
  16. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

The first is still the best to me, even though I had to watch it over and over again while working in the electronics department at a JC Penney store to earn my way through college.

JediJones likes this.
  17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

What movie out by 1984 had more action than Temple of Doom? I still think it's one of the most action-packed movies of all time. Even look at other action classics like Terminator 2, there are long stretches of people talking to each other. You can't take 'non-stop action' literally. It's just talking about it having a lot of action relative to other movies.

twicks and CDV like this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Raiders first as it should be. Then Temple Of Doom - so sue me, I enjoy the Anything Goes sequence. I need to re-watch the last two to see if I misjudged them as I've never seen either since the first time and they sort of left me cold.

twicks and JediJones like this.
  19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I love that game! Used to play it all the time when I was a kid. It would definitely make a great plot for a movie!

I wish they'd do a PS4 remaster of the game, like they did with a few other old LucasArts titles (Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, etc).

CDV and JediJones like this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Raiders for sure. Near perfection and never missed a beat.

But I love Doom too. Way underrated. Some of my favorite action segments in the series are in this sequel. But I think it misstepped when he hit/pushed the kid. That felt wrong. And for some reason the jump from the airplane on the rubber raft actually makes me cringe and roll my eyes despite everything else that happens in the film.

Crusade is sort of Raiders lite. It hits everything correctly, is a lot of fun and is a satisfying watch but the action segments don’t reach the heights of the first two. Both Doom and Crusade need stronger endings.

Skull is a major disappointment. I can’t help but think about the rejected scripts before it and wish they went with any of them.

I’m also surprised they never gave a cameo to Tom Selleck in one of the sequels as a wink. He could have shown up as an alternate Indy type that meets a bad fate. Maybe even be his brother. I would have enjoyed that at least.

Kyle B and twicks like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Always seemed silly that the same people who cheered the raft scene in "Doom" whined about the fridge scene in "Skull".

Face it: if these movies lived in the real world, Indy would've been dead during the opening sequence to "Raiders"! :laugh:

razerx likes this.
  22. Bobby Buckshot

Exactly. Don't forget how Indy and Willie jump out of a window, drop through several awnings, roll off a couple more and then are picked up by Short Round in the car! These unbelievable feats add an element that makes these movies fun. The fridge in Skull is right in line with all of those other sequences. It's the rest of Skull that makes it the worst of the bunch.

twicks and Oatsdad like this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The whole atomic test town sequence is great. First class clowning by Ford.

MichaelH and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  24. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

3 which has the killer tank sequence in it, should not be missed, that is how to shoot an action sequence.
    Has there been a thread on poorly made action sequences ?
    A movie with Val Kilmer comes to mind which in a gunfight seems to jump around with no rhyme or reason.

25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Raiders Of The Lost Ark wins for me. I almost chose Temple of Doom mainly for the fact that my sister almost fainted a number of times watching that one lol. Guess which scenes caused that to happen. :D