Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I'm in! I didn't join the VDGG party until the past five years or so. They are the dark side of progressive rock that I really like. The early records are certainly classics, but I find myself drawn to the GODBLUFF-STILL LIFE era of the band. Either way, this is an essential purchase. The last batch of reissues are just too expensive now.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Getting the four 3 disc sets is less than half the price of the box. If you just want the surround mixes, that's the way to go. I do want the video bluray too though. Going to be a tough decision.

J_Surround and uzn007 like this.
  3. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Q: Is the link broken, for buy or listen, or is it just me?
    No one else seems to bother about it, so wondering :-/

4. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

Will this box sell on Amazon eventually?

5. riskylogic

6. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

The boxset is much cheaper at Burning Shed, which has copies with a signed postcard.
    I usually have reservations with Burning Shed because they take the money in advance with pre-orders and their delivery fees are excessive but I think I will make an exception this time.

PS: Given the price I assume the single albums will have the 5.1 mix on DVDs, not Bluray discs.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  7. riskylogic

I was all ready to place an order with them, but shipping is 47 pounds. I'm hoping there will be a US supplier.

8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

LOL... Just when I was getting excited.

And I couldn't find it at Burning Shed either.

9. riskylogic

Found it a Burning Shed under Peter Hamill

fRa likes this.
  10. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

LInks in post 255 works fine :)

11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

uzn007 and four sticks like this.
  13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Ordered!

Thank you so much for providing the links!

:bdance: :pineapple: :bdance: :goodie: :tiphat:

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  14. Thanks for the links. Just ordered from Burning Shed. 140.77 pounds shipped to US (w/signed postcard).

Can’t wait! This is my most anticipated release of the year.

15. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

I'm teetering on the fence over whether to splurge on the full set or grab the 4 individual remixes. Do we know if the original stereo mixes are going to be newly remastered, or just a repressing of those horror show remasters from 2005?

16. The press release from universal says all discs are remastered from first generation tapes.

The Charisma Years

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Progatron likes this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

18. According to the Burning Shed listing, the Blu Rays include 5.1 mixes, stereo remixes and also original mixes. Fantastic.

19. Mr Matchbox

Mr Matchbox Forum Resident

I'm interested to know how they are packaging the discs in the box. It doesn't look like the discs are getting individual sleeves which is a shame given VDGG had some great cover art. Hopefully the book will have some good quality cover photos in it.

vivalapsych likes this.
  20. Mr Matchbox

Mr Matchbox Forum Resident

Actually I can see from zooming in the discs are going in two large sheets of fold out card, similar to the Tangerine Dream sets. Can't believe they've made the discs all white as well. It's not going to draw your eye to the disc you want. Still enough complaints, it otherwise sounds like a very nice set.

uzn007 likes this.
  21. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

OK, I ordered from udiscovermusic for $270. Then saw the Burningshed offer for $203 and placed an order. Now I can't figure out how to cancel the udiscovermusic order. When I look at my order history on their site, there's no option to cancel, and they never even sent me an email once I placed the order - only paypal did. Not sure what to do.

22. viennesewaltz

viennesewaltz Forum Resident

Some initial reactions to the 'Refugees' remix on a PH/VdGG facebook group: "very heavy-handed, and Hugh's beautiful counter-melody in the 'West is where all days will someday end' section has been murdered..." "Just listened to "new" Refugees. Massacred imho..."

23. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Worrying. According to the blurb everything had been listened to by all the band members....

24. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

That one's on there somewhere. I actually have the single.

25. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident

Not quite sure what this is about as the track was not remixed for this particular collection - let alone who would have heard it yet?

izgoblin, NorthNY Mark, SRC and 3 others like this.