One Format Masquerading as Another

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Summer of Malcontent, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The CD of Spiritualized's Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space was packaged in a bubble pack to play up the medication angle. There's also a version split into twelve 3" CDs and packaged in two six pack bubble packs.

Lost In The Flood, Rupe33 and c-eling like this.
  2. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

7" Lotus

[​IMG]

mBen989 likes this.
  3. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Packaged as a 78 rpm album, CDs are mounted on cardboard 78 reproductions.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  4. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

[​IMG]
    The Rhino Beg Scream and Shout! box (one of the best boxed sets ever) came in a 45 case and the discs were mounted to black plastic 45 recreations in picture sleeves

hugh . g., scottc and DISKOJOE like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

c-eling and footprintsinthesand like this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

This John Wesley Harding 12" is made to look like a 7".

[​IMG]

Mylene and c-eling like this.
  7. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

That is so cool.

ARK likes this.
  8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

System of a Down - Steal This Album

[​IMG]

mBen989, ARK and RageRomano like this.
  9. MrChad

MrChad Forum Resident

10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The Beach Boys - US Singles Collection 1962-1965

CDs are packaged to look like the original 45s.

[​IMG]

mBen989, ARK and c-eling like this.
  11. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Is pizza a format? It is a disc anyhow. Jazz ist anders (CD, 2007) by the German punk rockers Die Ärzte is packed in a small cardboard pizza box.

[​IMG]

c-eling and MrChad like this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

This Time Life Doo-Wop box is made to look like a box of 45s. Not so much the disc themselves, but the box.

[​IMG]

13. I had a Radio promo-only CD compilation of some sort from about 1989 or 1990 back in college, that came packaged in a mini pizza box too (complete with faux grease stains on the bottom of the box).

Can’t for the life of me remember the name of it, but I’m sure it’s probably on Discogs — if anyone can remember what I’m talking about.

EDIT: Here ‘tis! On my phone, or I’d post the images directly, but look at all 4(?) of the images here…

Capitol "Leaning Tower" Pizza - Twelve Hot Slices (1990, Gimmix, CD)

Saintbert likes this.
  14. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

There seem to be quite a few pizza box releases. One could end up with nice and eclectic musical collection just by concentrating on those, just like there are many and varied flavours to pizza itself. Here's Horse The Band's Pizza (2006): Horse The Band – Pizza (2006, Vinyl)

The math rock, death metal vinyl EP has songs like "T.M.N.T" and "Crippled By Pizza (Pizzarrhea In The Pizzeria)".

15. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

But an album that did have 3 sides to it... on one single platter!
    (for those who don't know: The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief - Wikipedia )

16. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Just out of curiosity, what's on that EAR disc? Is it just an excerpt from the Mesmerised album, or something unique?

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The idea of packaging a CD as though it were a vinyl is not totally silly. I think there are many people like me who miss the old vinyl packages, with full size photos, gatefolds, liftouts, and lyric sheets and other text that you can actually read without needing a magnifying glass, but who don't miss the vinyl medium itself. I have said for a long time that CD retailers made a big mistake when they decided to dumb down the packaging in the belief - justified for a while - that people would be so pleased with the superior quality and convenience of CDs that they would not care about not having that nice gatefold or full size liftout poster.

stevenson66g likes this.
  18. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alternate takes, apparently (obviously much shorter than anything on the album!)

Here's the "CD booklet" insert:
    [​IMG]
    I had this disc for at least ten years before I had a turntable that could play it properly without automatically lifting before the end.

Maggie likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sod 'em! :)

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's great!

ARK likes this.
  21. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Thanks for that! Really cool. I've always been partial to that album and was only vaguely aware of the existence of this record!

22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I found a 12 inch gatefold c.d Japanese. version of "LAYLA AND OTHER ASSORTED LOVE SONGS".....NO vinyle...just the c.d. in a plastic/foam slipcase and full sized(12') booklets/lyrics......at the time The cashier nor I could ascertain if it was a c.d. version as the only info(obi) was in japanese.....glad I picked it up as I've never seen this kind treatment!!a great great album.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and you've seen the light. ; ) it's not fun especially for those who are NOT into vinyl...no point to us in this package.

Haristar likes this.
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

To be fair, no one should be listening to this (otherwise excellent) album on CD. :hide: Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well some of us have no choice...; ) and I'm good with CD all the way...no pity party here. Thanks for your concern for us...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.