Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Randy Scouse Git

This is an interesting version of the song. It certainly doesn't sound like the original. The slow approach works I think.

The backing/wordless vocals work very well, and the transition to the 'heavy' bit works well. Trying to make this Nirvana style? Not quite but somewhere in the ballpark.

Very interesting.

4/5

Guy Smiley, D-rock, jeremylr and 4 others like this.
  2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Randy Scouse Git" --3.5/5

On paper, this subdued-verses-into-modern-rock-choruses take on "Randy Scouse Git" seems like a recipe for disaster, but surprisingly I like it quite a bit.

The album does start to settle into less interesting territory here, with all the self-covers and a couple of questionable song choices, but IMO it never seems to dip below "really good". I'm not sure that this is a highlight of the album for me, but that's because there are at least five or six tracks I think are better. This is a much stronger album overall than I remember it being -- I probably haven't played it more than once since 2011, and listening to it this past week has been an unexpected treat.

Guy Smiley, D-rock, jeremylr and 4 others like this.
  3. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

kind of Coldplay-esque IMO

D-rock, pablo fanques and HitAndRun like this.
  4. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Randy Scouse Git - 3/5
    I like the very different direction this cover goes, but only so much. It definitely is quite different than the one that is forever associated with the Monkees. I would just play this one once in a while.

HitAndRun, D-rock and The MEZ like this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Randy Scouse Git" 4.85/5

6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Randy Scouse Git:

1-0
    2-1
    3-2
    4-3
    5-2

The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  7. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Johnny B. Goode:

Another fitting choice in this scrapbook of Micky's life, and another decent reimagining.

The most enjoyable thing for me is to hear Micky providing all of the vocals himself and he shows that he still had quite a range at this point.

Interesting that this is Micky's own arrangement.

3/5.

8. Turk Thrust

jeremylr, JJR, RobRoyF and 1 other person like this.
  9. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Johnny B Goode - 3/5
    Very lullaby-sounding - it reminds me of something that might be on Micky Puts You To Sleep. Funny how an early rock song does not sound like rock n' roll at all with this cover.

JJR and HitAndRun like this.
  10. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Johnny B Goode

I won't have time to read Dave Harris's comments until much later in the day. But, interesting to hear that Micky sung this song during his audition for The Monkees.

This is a good arrangement, with the acoustic guitar and backing vocals really adding to the familiar arrangements. The percussion is interesting too. And the bass makes me think 60s and Chip Douglas. The whole song acousticises the original, while still having a nice driving rhythm.

A nice take on the song and a bit of a bonus that Micky arranged this himself.

I will disagree with RobRoyF, and say that I think this still retains quite a lot of Rock and Roll flavour. 'Enhanced rock and roll'?

4.1/5

Bobby with a dollar, JJR and RobRoyF like this.
  11. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Agree to disagree :) It sounds like Simon and Garfunkel - very easy listening. It just doesn't sound much like rock to me.

Guy Smiley, JJR and HitAndRun like this.
  12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Johnny B. Goode - A no-brainer to include on this collection. The song has great meaning to Micky and Monkees history, and the acoustic arrangement works for it, adds a Folk/Blues element to it. Very nice. 4/5.

13. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Johnny B. Goode" -- 3/5

Honestly, the world did not need another version of "Johnny B. Goode" -- but kudos to Micky for at least doing something different with it. Yeah, it's an important song to Micky, and it's the song he auditioned with in 1965, but this is the low point on the album for me. Still gets a '3', but it's the least interesting track. Once again, the execution is better than the expectations I had for it. At least it's better than the Starship version with Michael Lloyd.

Guy Smiley, JJR and HitAndRun like this.
  14. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Micky has taken a few songs and recorded/released them a number of times or in this case, taken a very famous song and did another version of it that even has his biggest fans initially asking why. But, so far, most of these have been better than we (based on what I have read here) expected. This is also a cool take and David Harris really gives props to Micky for this tracks sound. Obviously at this point, this is something that Micky likes to do and is comfortable with and certainly most of these songs and DSN, which is a full album of covers, really bring something new and worthwhile to each tune. 3.5 for this, many higher to come on DSN.

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and intv7 like this.
  15. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

3.5/5 for this

again, Not a cover I was itching to hear. But it’s a really nice production… Micky sounds good… And I like his different approach.

It’s a shame that Peter and Micky didn’t try to explore more work together. This reminds me of some thing the two of them could’ve cooked up.
    They probably could’ve produced a nice folk/blues album.

HitAndRun, jeremylr and The MEZ like this.
  16. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Playing catch-up here:

Git - 4/5

Johnny - 3/5

HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  17. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I would have increased my score a bit had I known at the time that it's Micky playing the acoustic guitar. But, I'll leave it where it is now that the editing window has gone.

jeremylr likes this.
  18. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

I've been lurking and liking for the past couple of weeks 'cause I'm kinda posted out right now but I had to rate this one. This might be my favorite version of "JBG". I'm tired of the original and burned out on all of the similar but slightly different cover versions. Micky's version gives it new life, a very different take on an old and worn out song. 4.5/5

HitAndRun, JJR, jeremylr and 2 others like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Johnny B. Goode"-4.75/5

HitAndRun and pablo fanques like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Randy Scouse Git 4/5

Johnny B Goode 2.75/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  21. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Johnny B. Goode:

1-0
    2-0
    3-7
    4-3
    5-1

The MEZ and HitAndRun like this.
  22. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Sugar Sugar:

Mixed feelings about this one...

The swing arrangement from Bob Birch and David Harris is fine, and Micky sings well in both the quiet and louder sections.

It's bizarre that the myth has almost become the reality with Micky singing this one, though. David Harris confirms in his comments that he suggested this song due to believing Don Kirschner's recollection of having offered it to the group.

3/5.

23. Turk Thrust

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Sugar Sugar - I'm also an Archies/Ron Dante fan, so I do like the original song. I know that 'Sugar Sugar' being offered to The Monkees is an urban legend mostly perpetuated by Don Kirshner, the song actually offered was 'Sugar Man'.

All that aside, this is a fun rendition of the song, soft and sexy. Micky sounds like he's having a good time singing it, and his 'sugary' ad libs as the tune fades out are hysterical, they're even funnier live. A playful reference to the 'fable'. 4/5.

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The actual song offered to the Monkees in 1967, 'Sugar Man'.

pobbard, RobRoyF and HitAndRun like this.