CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

So far, I’ve only had time to play the original album out of the LP box. It’s the best copy I’ve played. I do have a nice original too. I would say this copy sounds more detailed and lacks the noise issues of even a pristine looking original.

Peachy likes this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yes. Neil always does.

3. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Who ever has purchased this deluxe 5lps box set, is the original remastered lp, AAA, cut by Chris Bellman? I think I read somewhere or on here that it was. I think the other lps were digital remasters. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

4. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

A rush of blood to the head last Saturday resulted in the 5LP set arriving today. Number 985. It’s a nice presentation. Cranking the LP now. Magnificent.

5. czyhorse75

czyhorse75 Forum Resident

Where do you find the numbering?

6. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

It’s on the bottom right hand corner of the black envelope containing the photos.
    I have played the album and will get round to the outtakes and others over the next few days. The LP is stunning. Wide open clear sound, very quiet with barely a pop or crackle. Bellman’s cut is given a great canvas.
    Considering where I am in relation to California, delivery was very quick. I still haven’t received the redemption code for NYA. Sent email queries on this, hopefully that will be sorted soon.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The “Our House” demo that leads off the bonus tracks is magical, even if Graham goes slightly off key in places. Has this been released before on one of the other demo releases? Probably, I don’t know, I just like having all of this Deja Vu material in one place. This release reminds me why I care about these guys in the first place, despite all of the acrimony and “missed opportunities” along the way. They made the most of this opportunity in 1969/1970.

supermd, Matthew Tate and bonus like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

hell, just about everyone always does. at least everyone i've always bought and listened to.

9. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

Playing on a White Falcon doesn't make you sound like Neil. There's much more than guitar, amp and tone.

Here are a some references where you can hear Neil playing very similar, if not identical guitar parts on other recordings. I don't recall hearing Stills doing those bits, sounding like that.

1. Every Day we Live (lead guitar in the center)
    The intro guitar solo is very similar to Neil's guitar solo at 2'10 on this live CSNY take :

3. I'll be there (lead and only guitar)
    I wasn't so sure on this one, but there's one guitar lick in particular that pretty much solves it, in my opinion. It's at 1'53 on the new outtake, and at 1'51 on this version of 49 Bye Byes played at Woodstock : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovLo8i3Ero

7. Ivory Tower (electric guitar in the center)
    Very same lick at 2'17

8. Same Old Song (lead guitar on the left)
    Classic Neil solo at 1'15. Sounds a lot like his intro to "Everybody's alone" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n87XLSBks_w . Different tempo and key but pretty much the same melody and feel.

Since you say it could all easily be Stills, feel free to point me to guitar parts of his that sound identical to those examples.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Chief, themarkster, Simon and 3 others like this.
  10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yes, the original LP has CB in the deadwax on both sides. As I understand it, it is also AAA. It doesn’t matter what it is though as far as I’m concerned. It’s the best sounding version I’ve heard.

The remaining LPs are apparently cut from hi res files. They don’t sound digital to me. If I had been told these were all AAA I would have believed it.

11. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

OK - the LP set is really excellent buuut bit of a bummer over here - the actual album LP I've received has hairline scratches all over it, and a particularly large scratch that runs from the end of Almost Cut My Hair through to the conclusion of Woodstock, producing a very audible clicking. Not good.

I've written to Rhino for a replacement - given the price of the set (as exquisite as it is), and the shipping, this isn't acceptable. I'm hoping it won't be a hassle.

The other LPs have no scratches at all and are quiet as. Which is weird as they come in plastic sleeves, whereas the album LP is housed in a poly-lined paper one.

As noted above - all of the extra material sounds fantastic, AAA or not. Bellman strikes again!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

This is extremely frustrating. I agree that Stills is probably playing in all of these cases.

I’m looking at the different dates on the tape boxes in the booklet, and cross checking those against dates in the CSN box, but it doesn’t add up to Neil playing on those songs, but doesn’t exclude him either. It seems that when they were initially getting together in July and August, maybe Neil recorded on Stills songs. We know they were in the studio and recorded “Helplessly Hoping”. Could they have recorded more with Neil? Maybe, but it’s speculation.

There is a tape box pictured with 10/15/1969. It has “Helplessly Hoping” there along with other Stills songs. Neil was on at least one song. But we have nothing else to go on.

The decision to not include any dates or information at all is confounding.

csnfan, supermd, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  13. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

I agree with your analysis. My only different take is on Bluebird Revisited. Compare the intro of Neil Young's Emperor of the Wyoming with Bluebird Revisited and tell me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was thinking that as I have the Classic Records 200g from 2005, cut by Bernie Grundman, the last thing I need is a 5 LP box set of a Bellman cut that will probably be very similar together with some demos, cut from digital, that I will probably listen to once. Especially at $250!

Earlier this week, I watched one of those idiotic "unboxing" videos.

Just for curiosity, I checked how much it would cost to ship this massive thing all the way to Japan. It gave me a $15.97 option.

*click*

[email protected] You submitted an order in the amount of $265.97 USD to Warner Elektra Atlantic

goddam it. . . . .

15. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

I hope it was my idiotic unboxing video, as I try to be the most idiotic of all

16. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

Yes very possibly, but to my ears none of those guitar parts was blatant enough to be tagged "Neil". It's not undoubtedly Steve's either.

Damn the lack of documentation, but let's concede that Neil didn't just show up one afternoon to record 1 song and 2 guitar solos then went away. He probably stayed a whole day :)

ARK, marmalade166 and Simon like this.
  17. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm being sarcastic of course. I suspect it was not yours - it was very straightforward, a couple of minutes long. But, I will certain watch yours. What is your channel?

19. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

A children's book written by someone whose children are no longer speaking to him. On another note, the illustrations are by Hugh Syme, otherwise known for his Rush album cover artwork.

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Surprised his children’s book wasn’t called Our House With My New Mommy Young Enough To Be My Daughter.

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I just finished the first time through the 5 LP set. You’ll be glad you did. If this music resonates with you the set will make you happy. Just don’t think about what it cost. Who knows if they’ll actually do a second run. I’d rather just have mine for sure.

ET3311 likes this.
  22. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Shameless plug: https://www.youtube.com/thatshelf

I may not get the attention of some, but at least mine namecheck this place in thanks to those that genuinely have helped navigate all this nonsense.

ET3311 likes this.
  23. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Thanks for the thorough analysis. I’m 60/40 on Neil playing on “Everyday We Live” and “Same Old Song”, leaning toward Neil. Stills can play in this style. But he doesn’t. The sound here is the Crazy Horse sounding Neil lead guitar playing. Would Stills have tried to emulate Neil? Seems unlikely, but seems like we’ll never know for sure.

The guitar playing on the others sounds similar to the playing on the Stills/Dallas Taylor instrumental version of “Cinnamon Girl”. We really know nothing about that recording. But it sounds like Stills doing an arrangement of the song to possible demonstrate how to the others how it might sound with CSNY (Hammond, drums, bass, lead guitar). Stills’ playing is similar to Neil’s playing in places, but then he throws in some his signature touches that are unmistakably Stills. Mostly it sounds like Stills doing his Chet Atkins style.

lp_zep, marmalade166, csnfan and 2 others like this.
  24. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

You may well be right. Where can the instrumental Cinnamon Girl be found?

I understand Neil answers to fan questions on his archive website. Would he have access to the kind of documentation that would tell on which songs he played? Unlikely, given the vague credits attached to "Ivory Tower" when it was first put on his archive. Or he just doesn't care.

25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

lp_zep likes this.