George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff Thread Starter

Despite repeated pleas not to post anything, we still have people who can't bother to follow a simple request.
    Well, I hope you're happy.

Thread locked until the official announcement.

This is why we can't have nice things.

2. Peter_R

We're back.
    Same rules still in effect for now.
    Questions?
    Send a PM.

3. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Has anyone seen Amazon listings?

4. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Yes for the UK, but they are still unavailable.

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As I said in that other thread (because a little humor is needed when your bank account starts to dwindle):

I just found an old wooden milk crate. I wrote All Things Must Pass on the side of it. Then I threw in my original 3-LP set from 1970, along with a couple of cheap gnomes, some beads, a bookmark, some Indian incense, and called it a day...

;)

Hope everyone gets whatever options that they want.

6. Arnold Grove

Also from that other thread:

4 of the bonus tracks are listed as being "previously released". So I compared the timing of those 4 tracks on Early Takes versus the ones on the new ATMP set. If the timings listed are correct, then in all instances the versions on Early Takes Vol. 1 are longer than the versions on the 50th anniversary sets.

Maybe Dhani and crew did some editing. Hmmm....

On the NEW set:
    All Things Must Pass 4:38
    Awaiting on You All 2:29
    My Sweet Lord 3:21
    Run of the Mill 1:53

On EARLY TAKES Vol. 1:
    All Things Must Pass 4:48
    Awaiting on You All 2:40
    My Sweet Lord 3:33
    Run of the Mill 1:56

7. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Preordered from uDiscover, had a 30% coupon, 5CD for $111 shipped. Very excited for more unreleased George! My favorite thing about this box is that you can assemble a complete alternate album from all the different takes (minus the jams, but you can just include the new unreleased ones for that). I love doing that with expansive boxes like this.

Wingsfan2012 and Bern like this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Okay...who upset Dhani?

9. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Nice sleuthing! Maybe the Early Takes tracks were slowed down to make the album seem just a little less short. ;)

Bern and Arnold Grove like this.
  10. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

You rang?

12. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

UD20OFF code gets you 20% off the Uber box on UDiscover US site...sadly I couldn't use it as I would be charged US$396 postage (I kind not) to New Zealand and get whacked 15 % Tax...some disadvantages to living way down here...

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Probably no difference, some timings include gaps between tracks, some don't.

qtrules and planckera like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Not sure about that. Some of the time differences are more than 10 seconds.

15. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Yes, they are completely available on the German website of Amazon

16. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

Isn't there a bit of chat/count-ins etc on the Early Takes versions that might be excluded here?

I'm disappointed that there's only a demo of I Live For You and not one of the proper studio takes. Unless the demo(s) are the takes we know and were overdubbed later in the sessions (piano and steel guitar, I don't mean the 2000 overdubs). But I don't think so.

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That seems unnecessary to me. After checking, you can squeeze the full Early Takes songs within the new times, but harmless fun like pre- and post-song comments from George, Ringo, etc. seem to have been sacrificed. To me, that’s a really enjoyable part of these early takes, as heard in the recent Beatles reissues. I sure hope SOME of these comments have survived in other bonus takes.

crossroads69 and slane like this.
  19. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

20. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Does anyone know if the book in the 8LP or 5CD is hard bound or just a soft booklet?

21. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing. The image of the 8LP set seems to suggest it is hardbound. It looks like a solid spine to me.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  22. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

I gotta say, I’m loving the green. Anyone have even an inkling what the dimensions of the 5CD/BR might be? It’d be great if it matched Imagine and POB.

23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Well the target markets are 50-60 year olds already familiar with the original mixes. Including those doesn't make sense at all.

24. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

It's great to have the working version of Run Of The Mill but the finished version is way better. That descending guitar line is competing with the horn arrangement not complimenting it. It reminds me - forgive the comparison but I think arrangement-wise it is valid - of the early acoustic versions of Ob-La-Di. In those you get the descending 'la-la' vocals and what became the horn line in the later choruses appearing on top of each other. When those two ideas got spread out through the song, everything fell into place. And those descending lines remind me somehow of the comment that Norman Smith made about the guitar runs in 'Please, Please Me' - 'for God's sake George, just play it in the gaps'. So maybe that was a George trope that he got successfully talked out of. Whatever, they finished up with a most beautiful recording of a wonderful song!

johnny moondog 909 and Peter_R like this.
  25. Peter_R

Just a reminder that there is a shipping thread to post for all those nifty details...

Wingsfan2012, Ern and crossroads69 like this.