“I can’t believe I once thought that...”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

What do you find hard to believe now, When you look back what you thought when some artist or album was new to you...

For example, when I had never heard The Beach Boys before, I got Pet Sounds (first one from them), I didn’t know which of them on the cover was Brian. I always thought it was Al for some reason, since he seemed to stand out the most and looked the most “surfer” like among them haha

2. cjh

cjh Forum Resident

I used to heavily dislike the White Album, back when I only had the 2009 stereo versions. Now with the 2018 remixes it’s my favourite album probably.

DK Pete, Fred1, bhazen and 8 others like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

For decades, I thought the lead singer on Venus by the Shocking Blue was a guy.

4. cjh

cjh Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I used to think this bloke on the cover of their debut was the lead singer of Arctic Monkeys

5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I used to think Roy Orbison was blind, because I never saw a photo of him without his dark glasses. Apparently this was a common misconception.

The penny dropped when I heard him interviewed and he spoke of being out riding a motorbike.

moople72, dougb222, cporcp and 66 others like this.
  6. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I thought that ABBA only produced silly and bland pop songs. Some years ago I started playing the drums and learned that their songs are not that easy and simple. As a drummer you have to pay attention especially to the bass and I think that Rutger Gunnarsson was great. His baseline on „Knowing Me, Knowing You“ is sick:cool:

7. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I didn't really consciously recognize the pun of the misspelling of the name The Beatles. I knew it was based on The Crickets but I didn't really recognize the cleverness of the name, And I was a language teacher. Probably in my thirties when I "got" it.

1Watt, Timos, deredordica and 10 others like this.
  8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I watched an interview Roy did where he explained the dark glasses.
    In the early days at a gig they were doing the overhead lights were bothering him so he asked his band members if anyone had sunglasses, only one member did but they were very dark. They quickly became his signature.

deredordica, Jarleboy, Sean and 2 others like this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I used to think that, as well.

My biggie is: Until I was in my mid-30s, I thought Bob Dylan was some sort of washed-up hippie, and now I can't imagine life without his music.

10. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

When I heard about Oasis as a small child, I assumed they named themselves after the (recently closed) Oasis Leisure Centre in Swindon near where I live. The scary thing was that by sheer chance this was actually the case. As a four/five year old, I got the name of this leisure centre mixed up and often called it the Aosis whenever I went swimming there.

11. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

i use to think Led Zeppelin was terrible. Now they are one of my favorite bands.

12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Me, approx 1990 in my late teens "I'm not listening to David Bowie, he makes dull boring songs"

:sigh:

deredordica, Fruff76 and Talmi K like this.
  13. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

Much like why Bono usually wears his tinted glasses.

ARK likes this.
  14. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I once believed that Garcia's voice was Bob Weir's and vice versa

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

For decades, I thought the lead singer on Jackie Blue by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils was a girl.

16. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

When I first heard Yes Virginia by The Dresden Dolls at the age of 6 (2006, in fact I know the exact date due to a World Cup match, and where this was - stuck going clockwise around the UK's M25 on a very hot day) I thought the singer (Amanda Palmer) was a male with a relatively high pitched voice - it was only when I found out what it was about 8 years later that I realised the singer was female.

Jarleboy and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  17. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

I can’t believe I once thought that...Wet Wet Wet's debut album is a good record.

Uuan, mradmack, Woodville and 5 others like this.
  18. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I first heard of The Pretty Things through some short feature about them with B&W clips on Entertainment Tonight (ET), and was skeptical that they might be a made up put-on like Spinal Tap or The Rutles. This was in the mid'80s I guesstimate and I was not quite the wide ranging forager of past sounds I would become. :shake:

Uuan, cporcp, deredordica and 4 others like this.
  19. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I did until just now.

20. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

Same as me. At his Sound and Vision concert in Budapest I became a fan.

Woodville, skisdlimit and OobuJoobu like this.
  21. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I never knew The Beatles were American until I read it on SHF.

22. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I cant believe that I thought that Hot (Hit) Space by Queen was bad!

23. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

I used to think that a lot of music other people like was crap and they had bad taste.

24. capt.co

capt.co Forum Resident

Funny, for me it was the other way around!

(I'm just kidding. I was never a fan...)

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

yesstiles, TonyACT, vinylrec and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.