Ryan Adams Big Colors

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trainwrecker, Apr 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident Thread Starter

RYAN ADAMS BIG COLORS

[​IMG]

Big Colors is the soundtrack to a movie from 1984 that exists only in my soul. It’s a cliché inside a watercolor painting of neon blue smoke rising up off summer streets in the night.

It’s the most New York California album I could cut loose from my musical soul, and for me as both a guitar player and songwriter, this is the zenith point dream time.

While I won’t be able to match this album for its depth and broad color forms in the future, this is the sound of my soul and a door to a place I’ll be returning to again.

The treasures in our past are the shamanic visions of the future when the destination is dream zone 3000. This is that.

I’m only dreaming in Big Colors now.

[​IMG]
    Big Colors - Vinyl With Exclusive Bonus 7"
    $24.98

Ryan Adams Big Colors - Vinyl With Exclusive Bonus 7"

Digital Download Included.

Tracklist

1. Big Colors
    2. Do Not Disturb
    3. It's So Quiet, It's Loud
    4. **** The Rain
    5. Manchester
    6. What Am I
    7. Power
    8. I Surrender
    9. Showtime
    10. In It For The Pleasure
    11. Middle of the Line
    12. Summer Rain
    Bonus 7"

• Side A: Anybody Evil
    • Side B: The Opposite of Love
    Important notes:

• This item is a pre-order and has an expected ship date of August 18, 2021
    • This ship date includes any non-preorder items that you may have included with this order, unless you make 2 separate orders.
    • If you're ordering multiple pre-order items, ALL items will ship on the later ship date, unless you make separate or

[​IMG]

Big Colors - Vinyl With Exclusive Bonus 7" - Official Ryan Adams Store

[​IMG]

2. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I like that song.

LeeGriffin likes this.
  4. CD and streaming on 11 June.

5. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Um....K.

Trainwrecker likes this.
  6. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

That's a really good song.
    Much better than anything on his previous album Wednesdays.
    At least to my ears.

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ll admit I was underwhelmed by what I heard of Wednesdays.

I basically like two modes of Ryan Adams: alt-country-sounding Ryan Adams, and jangly chorusy guitar Ryan Adams. This one looks more promising.

ralphb and Record Rotator like this.
  8. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

It’s no Cuts Like A Knife but I find it pretty catchy.

9. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

HAHA!
    That joke is soooo old. Concert-goer: "C'mon, Ryan, play Summer Of '69!" :)

10. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I listened this morning. Interesting production and mix. I was at one time a major fan and would be frantically preordering whatever limited bonus version was available. Still don’t have the last one. I went back and listened to a bunch of older songs of his today that really light me up. Reminded of the amazingness of the group of Cardinals, and what they brought and created, and how much his collaborators have brought over time. The more recent records, just don’t connect with me. I miss that feeling. I’m glad the new music is coming out though for those that do enjoy it.

11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Me too, although I lean more to the jangly chorus mode myself. Really like "Do Not Disturb", so I'm looking forward to this.

12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Strongly agree with your sentiment. Ashes and Fire was ok, but that was it. Ryan jumped the shark.

Interpolantics and neilpatto like this.
  13. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

The song Ashes and Fire is the last one for me that really hits home. I am still interested in what he does and will check it out, just don’t feel it.

WHMusical likes this.
  14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I thought Prisoner was great.
    A&F was for moms.

Paully, rob303, Jimmy Jam and 2 others like this.
  15. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus.

I agree with Pawnmower on this. Ashes & Fire lacks an edge most Ryan Adams albums had until then. It is mellow and soft. The only songs I really like are ‘Dirty Rain’ and ‘Ashes & Fire’. The others are quite replaceable.

In my opinion Ryan reinvented himself with his selftitled record and the 7 inches, which cumulated in Prisoner, his best record since 2005.

I’m looking forward to Big Colors. I wonder it will be departure from Prisoner or a continuation.

The MEZ likes this.
  16. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I’m a sucker, er, completist. I own everything by Ryan and I’ll buy this too.

The MEZ and Heart of Gold like this.
  17. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Do Not Disturb? Seems to me he has disturbed a few women. Is that what the song’s about?

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

A very urban, 80s sound. Unlike anything else I’ve heard from him (I think!).

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘When You Cross Over’ is a wonderful track off of Wednesdays. If anyone hasn’t heard it, I highly recommend.

20. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I like this new single more than what I have heard from Ryan in the past 10 years about. Nice hook in the chorus, so I could have done with another hearing of the chorus in the song.

Does anyone else think he sounds like Ben Gibbard in the chorus of "Do Not Disturb"?

Record Rotator likes this.
  21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Overall, I think I like this batch of songs better than what was on Wednesday.
    Wednesday might have higher highs, but lower lows. Big Colors seems more consistent.

Interpolantics and Trainwrecker like this.
  22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Title track dropping as a single at midnight.

dtuck90 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Holding out for reviews on the vinyl. The Wednesday pressings seemed to be mostly crap. I wish he'd use Chris Bellman like he did for most all his past albums

rob303 likes this.
  24. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Got the CD this weekend (I guess the store got it early - will get the LP in August), and it sounds like crap. Typical modern mastering - hurts my ears. Produced and mastered by all the same people that did Wednesdays. I understand that Wednesdays is more laid-back, so it doesn't sound that bad - but I have both the CD and LP, and the LP (even though a sub-par pressing) sounds better than the CD; the LP is more dynamic. So I'm hoping that the LP of Big Colors is better than the CD.

The difference with Big Colors is it is a rocking electric album - and when it rocks out - it is barely listenable. Doesn't sound as if it's clipping - just sounds distorted and hurts my ears. Maybe Ryan wanted it to sound this way?

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How is the rest of the album music wise? I appreciate the audiophile perspective, just wondering what you think of the songs themselves....

Forty links likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.