“I can’t believe I once thought that...”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Before typing this out, I am NOT this person anymore.

Growing up in the 80s in a very small town, most of the music I listened to was metal. Bands like Depeche Mode were in my eyes... sigh... music for homosexuals. I won't even type out what it was commonly called by people then. Even completely censored it's offensive and ignorant. By the time I graduated high school my opinion had completely changed. A few years after that Depeche Mode became one of my favorite bands of all time. I still regret I ever thought those things and I know I have grown as a person, but it was such a horrible belief and I can't believe I ever thought that.

2. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

There was a time in the late seventies that I was convinced Stevie Nicks was the guy playing the guitar and Lindsey Buckingham was one of the women in Fleetwood Mac....

3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I think like most people I assumed that the name "Kurt Vile" was a stage name and a pun on the name of the German composer Kurt Weill. "Kurt Vile" is in fact his real original name.

Jarleboy, Patanoia, 1983 and 12 others like this.
  4. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

How about Soft Cell, Bronski Beat and Culture Club? I don't think there's a ban on homosexuals liking them yet.

bob60, Blank Frank, rodentdog and 2 others like this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

This particular homosexual can't stand Depeche Mode. But then I don't like most metal music either.
    Nor do I like much of the music gay men are supposed to like.

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

No clue why but for a long while I thought Madonna was from the UK...^^

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

When I was 4, I thought that "Dandy" by Herman's Hermits (& the Kinks) was about a brand of soup crackers!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  8. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

When I was in High School there was this guy that would continually accuse most bands I liked of either being homosexuals or nerds or both.

9. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Me and my buddy used to wrack our brains trying to figure out the 'joke' title the band always referenced. It wasn't until the good 'ol internet came around that we learned what it meant.

PhoffiFozz and john lennonist like this.
  10. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

A LOT of people thought this. At one time in the 70's there was a promotional photo sent out that had them mislabeled.

goodiesguy, ARK, ODShowtime and 2 others like this.
  11. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, I used to always pronounce it like it must have been referring to people who manufactured dyes--I basically ignored the apostrophes.

12. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

By the way, which one is Pink? :D

CantonJester and john lennonist like this.
  13. Bowie1979

Bowie1979 Forum Resident

This is a very recent one:

I had always dismissed Tina Turner from knowing her overblown 80s stuff and massive hairdos. I properly listened to her early Ike & Tina stuff recently and it’s fantastic passionate, soul music.

14. GuvnorsWhiteJacket

GuvnorsWhiteJacket Lord Julian's Consort

I used to really dislike Dusty Springfield. I now think she's brilliant.

WillieDaPimp, zebop, bob60 and 5 others like this.
  15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

When I was a kid- and we are talking 1973 or so- I was under the impression that the Who and the Guess Who were related in the same way that Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship had been.

16. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

Not me, but this is the first thing that came to mind...

My girlfriend thought that Weezer started in the early 2000s and "Beverly Hills" was their first big single, and appropriately thought they were awful. Then I told her about who they were in the mid 90s and introduced her to The Blue Album and Pinkerton, which she's now a huge fan of. She had no idea they were the guys who sang "Buddy Holly" and "Say It Ain't So."

Jarleboy, goodiesguy, ARK and 2 others like this.
  17. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I use to think the same thing.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  18. SatchelJose

SatchelJose Forum Resident

When I was a kid (like 5 or 6), my parents used to listen to Rod Stewart a lot. For some reason I was convinced he was black woman. It wasn't until I was like 9 or 10 I finally paid attention to an album cover and was shocked.

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

For some reason, back in the '70s lots of older people I knew thought that Led Zeppelin was a person, not a band.

I used to be under the impression that Ric Ocasek was the only lead singer in the Cars. I couldn't distinguish his voice from Ben Orr's.

20. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

When I was a kid,I always saw the commercials for Beatlemania. I thought the Beatles were a knockoff of the Monkees.

Then 1980 happened.

21. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Before I knew better I thought Tom Fogerty was the lead guitarist and John played rhythm in CCR

22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

When I read the first sentence of this post, I started to think "oh man, this guy's about to have his mind blown..."

ARK and ODShowtime like this.
  23. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

Can you name any of these metal bands and how you came across them in a small (American?) town at the time during the 80s?

24. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

...that the Beatles had "nothing" for me that was all that rewarding.
    ...that I actually thought the coffee cup stain on the back of Aerosmith's Live! Bootleg was real!

25. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

There was a genre of music that came out in the early - mid '80s....HIGHLY produced dance pop that I thought I liked. I bought vinyl from that era by the Thompson Twins, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Culture Club, David Bowie (Let's Dance) It remains pretty pristine vinyl 40 years later because...I can't believe I thought I liked that crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.