Objectively, what do you think is the best album of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lettheflamesbegin, Jun 10, 2021.

1. lettheflamesbegin

lettheflamesbegin Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know this is a very loaded and difficult question to ask but I wanted some thoughts.

I'm not asking your favourite, but what you think could qualify as the best album ever made, taking everything into account?

For me I would go with Hounds of Love. It's the closest to perfect in every way of any album I have heard, despite not being my personal number one.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Like you this is not my personal favourite album but after 50 years I still enjoy it when I play it. It would be very easy just to say one’s favourite.

In this instance the music is exciting and fresh and there’s not a moment of it that is unnecessary, nor does it outstay its welcome - Led Zeppelin IV I’d say is a good contender.

3. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

And then with another part of my brain and heart I’d have to say Kind of Blue… yep

Rich-n-Roll, Sop_e, Bemsha and 28 others like this.
  4. Weirdomusic

Weirdomusic Forum Resident

That's not difficult at all: "Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band.

5. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

Thriller....though there are many I like much more.

6. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Out of the ones I’ve heard - and I don’t even like the bloody thing - Sgt Pepper. Why ? Beatles. The whole concept of the album as an art form. It’s influence.

7. Gary the Aggie

Gary the Aggie Forum Resident

If I use the metric of not being able to resist singing along to every single song on the album, I’d have to go with Costello’s “Imperial Bedroom”.

If by “all things considered” we’re considering impact, acclaim and all that, it’s gotta be “Pet Sounds”, or one of several from the Beatles, Stones or Dylan.

8. Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon is an album where everything works perfectly from start to finish. It also keeps surprising even after 25 years of listening. The closest thing to a "perfect" album I can think of.

__Patrick__, EdwinM, sjaca and 92 others like this.
  9. AL01

AL01 Eh?

A couple years ago I would have said Dark Side of the Moon.

But now, without an ounce of doubt, it's Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely.

10. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Sorry, but there's simply no way anyone can answer this question objectively. Soon there will be 100 albums listed as "objectively the best of all time". There are so many great albums that I can't even say I have a favorite album.

11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Had it a long time ? Check.
    Played plenty? Check.
    Still play it often? Check.
    Every song memorable? Check.
    'Bridge Over Troubled Water ' ? Check!

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

13. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

No such thing because this is entirely subjective.

14. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Applies to many people that were in my life:

Wish You Were Here -
    Pink Floyd

[​IMG]

__Patrick__, MMan1, bluesky and 23 others like this.
  15. Emperor of Mount Victoria

Emperor of Mount Victoria Forum Resident

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman

16. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It's a nonsensical question.

The variety of answers you're receiving so far make it fun that you asked, though.

Nycademon, riskylogic, wrat and 14 others like this.
  18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The Best Of The Beatles.

19. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

London Calling is the most impressive in terms of scope, songwriting, energy, production, musicianship, originality--it just checks all the boxes.

I would put Bob Dylan many miles ahead of any other artist in a "greatest" list but the truth is even he has never put out an album as complete and as perfect as London Calling, even if he's written a dozen songs better than any of the tracks on that album. I will often find myself listening to London Calling from start to finish even where I only meant to listen to a single side or track. The energy is just addictive.

Any album that doesn't have a single track you can put on at a party can't possibly be the best album of all time so post-Syd Floyd need not apply. You can't expect people to be on mushrooms all the time.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  20. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I don't think it's objectively possible to pick a "best album." I can't even pick a favorite, but to try to pick an "objective best"? Not possible.

21. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Electric Ladyland

barfko, caravan70, highway and 21 others like this.
  22. kevinkasson

kevinkasson Forum Resident

Agree with a lot of the comments above about not being able to pick a "best", but still I'd still choose In The Wee Small Hours.

Not just because it has great music, but in a lot of ways it was the first and defined what it means to be an "album".

23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

On the one hand, there is too much music in the world, too many different kinds of music, and too many albums to ever really say.

On the other hand, the greatest album of all time is obviously Van Halen I

24. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

25. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Not my favorite album of all-time, but it may qualify for the best: Yes "Close to the Edge". Perfection in every way.