The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

‘Mr Pleasant’ made #80 as a single nationally in the US in 1967… is it possible that it was a bigger hit in some regions? (Such as New York maybe?) I don’t know that much about the US charts, but you do read about songs just scraping into the Billboard hot 100 while being top ten hits in particular states or regional charts.

CheshireCat and mark winstanley like this.
  2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Mr Pleasant"
    This one i had to grow to like. First heard it around the age of 12 or so and I think it was just too music hall/dance hall music for me at that age. I've since grown to really like it and appreciate it in The Kinks' canon. Not my favorite but a definite Klassic Kinks' song.

"This Is Where I Belong"
    A fine mid-60s Kinks' song. Nothing that really stands out but still a solid track. I don't think I'd go out of my way to listen to it but definitely wouldn't skip it either.

CheshireCat, mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  3. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: This is the exact same take as the Kinks single, only with Ray's vocal track replaced by whistling. I believe it was a U.S. only release. Hopkins' piano is featured so prominently on the track that much like "She's A Rainbow," he was pretty much the co-star of it. The idea to put it out as a single in this manner was inspired by the recent unexpected global success of "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman," which turned out to not be a trend, but an anomaly. Note that the flipside of this single, a Hopkins original titled "Nothing As Yet," is extremely rare and has not made it to YouTube.

4. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

I have to confess I always loved that song, as cheesy as it may be.

FJFP, sharedon and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Very true. Where I grew up--Indiana--bands I didn't care for--REO Speedwagon and Styx--were massively popular and had constant airplay several years well before they had any kind of national exposure. So much so I assumed they were celebrated at a Led Zeppelin-like level. But when I went to college a guy from the East Coast lived in our dorm. I couldn't believe he had never heard of these bands.

6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Agree 100%. It was the gateway for me in 1983. Nice Mr. Flash avatar. :righton:

7. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

Throughout the 1970s, REO Speedwagen, Mahogany Rush and about a half dozen other bands were what were known to folks like me (who grew up in big coastal cities), as "perpetual opening acts." Whenever a major act like The Who or Led Zeppelin would be headlining, they would often be the show openers. I vaguely recall "Ridin' The Storm Out" getting some FM airplay here in Los Angeles, but the band was never forefront in anyone's mind.

mark winstanley and croquetlawns like this.
  8. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Musically, this is perfectly constructed. It's about the yin and yang of D major and D minor. The bridge begins with an E7 chord that takes us into the key of A, which makes the transition back to the verses in D (major and minor) very easy. I would not be a bit surprised if Ray got some inspiration from Kurt Weill's "Bilbao Song," which a man of his propensities certainly would've been aware of:

:kilroy: All I have to say is that this should've been on "Face To Face" instead of "You're Looking Fine" (which should've been the one that was relegated to obscure B-side status). Both musically and thematically, it would've fit in perfectly with the rest of the album.

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm falling behind regularly now, but tonight I'll be caught up.

"She's Got Everything" - I was surprised to see this song come up a couple years early. I am curious about how this ended up as a b-side to "Days" when they had a lot of material in the can at that point. Ray wanted VGPS to be 20 songs and they go back 2 years for a b-side? This song is just addictive. Not just the riff or the do-do-do's, but the entire structure with the piano, the bouncing start/stop nature of it all.. Always dug this track. I wish I could remember the first time I heard it, though. I enjoy the Romantics version as well, but nothing beats our Kinks on this one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  10. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

This Is Where I Belong

Like a few other posters I first heard this on Kronikles. What a wonderful album that turned out to be. Was a bit pricey at the time on account of it being a US import but well worth the money. Anyway, this track is one of my favourite Kinks tracks of the 1960's. I think I have three versions - two stereo and one mono. I always play the stereo 2014 version as it has a great sound. Is this Ray telling us, now he is married, that he doesn't need to wander anymore as he has now found domestic bliss and a happy home where he feels he belongs? By the time the song was recorded he had been married about 18 months and his first child was about a year old. Or, perhaps he is singing about a place rather than a romantic relationship?

Whenever I play the Face To Face album this always gets included. It's also on my Kinks Sixties playlist.

The MEZ, SeeDubs, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  11. Some interesting thoughts about the lyrics to Mr Pleasant up there, just to say I don't really see this as particularly mean spirited, that is it's no more mean spirited than Well Respected Man, Mr Reporter, Dedicated Follower Of Fashion or any number of Kinks songs from this period. Ray Davies has a sardonic streak in him as wide as the Thames, it runs through his material alongside a well of more empathic emotions. He was a rounded songwriter by this point, able to express a number of perspectives. Mr Pleasant reads pretty much like a sequel to Well Respected Man to my ears, mercilessly targeting the bourgeoise goals of the protagonist and the trappings of the well-to-do classes. Not an outlier by any means, in my opinion.

12. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

That's a really good cover!
    didn't know Frank Black covered it as well. Will have to look into that as well!!

Fortuleo, mark winstanley and Adam9 like this.
  13. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The Kinda Kinks website has a few papers by Mark Teenhan on how the first few
    Kinks singles performed on the US charts:

Other Important Kinks Items

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Mr Pleasant
    Most enjoyable. In recent months, I get extra special enjoyment from watching them mime this on Beat Club. Such a fun and silly performance. Not sure if the trombonist is an actual musician or just a band friend, but he's hilarious. Most of the time you learn with Kinks songs that if something seems good, just scratch the surface and things ain't so shiny. (and often it's the opposite...if things are bad, there's always hope for life to get better).

This is Where I Belong
    Immediately I hear a Dylanesque vibe, which I'm sure others will comment on (haven't read everyone's take just yet). I'm diggin' it! Quality b-side! Kinks can do wrong at this point.

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I had to go back and watch it. You’re right. Very humorous.

16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

That website is a treasure trove of info - including lyrics and chords.

Fred1 and mark winstanley like this.
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Glad you enjoyed! The guy miming the trombone is Dave Lee Travis, British DJ and one of rhe co presenters of Beat Club at the time. (Presumably an attempt to give the German show an air of London hipness or something). Definitely not a musician’

18. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

I never considered the lyrics to Mr. Pleasant as being mean spirited. I thought it was another arms length observation piece. He’s worked his way up, he’s well-liked, he has succeeded in material concerns; but is he happy at home (and what of Mrs. Pleasant?). I think there is some sadness and even empathy. No one sees the real man, only the happy facade.

This Is Where I Belong is a favorite of mine for no apparent reason. I just never tire of it. Here our character has found his place and is content. If there’s a subtext, I’m ignorant of it.

As with other US fans, I first heard both of these tracks on Kronichles. I had no idea MP was a single in the US! I’ve never heard it on the radio.

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Mr. Pleasant" - This song has never done anything for me. It's "pleasant" enough -- see what I did there? But yeah, it's just fine. Don't love it. Don't hate it. Surprised they deemed it single worthy with all the other great stuff they were cranking out at the time. I definitely wouldn't consider this the best of the Kinks.

"This Is Where I Belong" - Now this! I've always had a thing for this song. LOVE the sound of this thing.. the message in the lyrics. It's the only Kinks song I learned to play on guitar. One of my all-time favorites!

The MEZ, SeeDubs, CheshireCat and 6 others like this.
  20. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Concurred. Dave does an excellent job! :righton:

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  21. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

A winner Ray with Pixies frontman Black Francis

22. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Francis without Ray, a little faster

23. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

I first heard this from Bill Lloyd on one of those Mojo Magazines free CDs The Modern Genius Of Ray Davies recommended if you can find it.

24. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Well at least the back up vocalists and the horn player are inspired

mark winstanley and FJFP like this.
  25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great post!
    As for the character that was Monica, Ray did meet and talk to her and I think this happened somewhat adjacent to a/the Village Green?

mark winstanley and FJFP like this.