“I can’t believe I once thought that...”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I can’t for the life of me remember what it was but I had a 12” single with a coffee cup ring mark on it that I was convinced was an actual stain ! Could I get that off ????? No because years later I found out it was part of the design :hide:

DesertHermit, ARK, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  2. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I bought Hansen’s ‘Middle of Nowhere’ record because I really liked Mmmbop

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

When Can't Buy Me Love was released I thought it was Can't Bobby Love. I also once thought My Girl was Magic. Don't forget that we heard all these songs on AM radio, and often on one with fairly low fidelity. Of course once these songs were played a few times I picked up on my mistakes.

One interesting thing I've discovered about myself over the years is that I can hear minute distortions or aberrations on a recording yet I often can't make out what people are saying. Oh I hear it alright, with all the little vocal nuances, so its not a matter of my hearing. I just can't make it out. This happens all the time on TV shows. I'll even rewind the program to listen over and over again to some phrases and I come up blank.

I recorded a live show that was release in 2003. On it, the performer utters a word that I heard over and over again and I had no idea what he was saying. Finally when it released I asked others, and it was extremely obvious to all of them. Once I was told what it was I now hear it correctly every single time and can't figure out how I ever had any trouble with it.

PhoffiFozz, ARK, Ginger Ale and 5 others like this.
  4. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I once thought in the late 70s - early 80s (around 9-12 years old) that
    A) The Grateful Dead were a heavy metal band (i had only heard of them but never anything by them at this point)
    B) That the bands Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd were named after their lead singers
    C) The rumor about Rod Stewart getting his stomach pumped
    D) That the guys in KISS were for real devil worshippers
    E) That The Who and The Guess Who were the same band

PhoffiFozz, Jack Lord, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

In the very early stages of my Led Zeppelin fandom I had Jimmy Page and Robert Plant mixed up. I still kinda think Jimmy looks like a Robert Plant and Percy a Jimmy Page.

jeffd7030 and eric777 like this.
  6. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Yes. I even returned the first copy to the store for an exchange of a new copy. Of course, the other couple copies there had the coffee cup stain in the exact same spot. I couldn't believe it!

At some point, it must have somehow ocurred to me that it was part of the album design... :laugh:

Let's just say my early love for rock and roll apparently zapped me of any developing intelligence.

Come to think of it, that intelligence is still rather elusive.. :help:

7. Duncan Day

Ha ha :D. At least I didn’t try returning mine ! Brilliant:)

ARK and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

My girlfriend's head exploded when I told her Frank Zappa didn't do drugs. She was flabbergasted after all she had heard.

goodiesguy, ARK and dubious title like this.
  9. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Does anybody remember "Sing Something Simple"?

OneStepBeyond, nikh33 and willy like this.
  10. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

Spot on

john lennonist and ODShowtime like this.
  11. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

This reminds me...when "Mmmbop" came out I was probably 7, and me and every other kid I knew thought they were girls. Pretty sure I had a crush on the drummer :laugh:

12. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I used to think the same about Simon & Garfunkel, now one of my favorite groups:)
    Of course, I didn’t listen to anything old at that time, just “new 80s” songs

LouChang, Jarleboy and Duncan Day like this.
  13. Duncan Day

I felt the same about McCartney/Wings, even though I liked a few singles. There was no way I was going to spend money on old hippy crap like Ram.

Uh .......:D (Looks across the room at the dozen or so deluxe edition McCartney CDs on the shelf)

tteal and Ms. Daisy like this.
  14. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Anyway, here's my couple of contributions...

The first time I heard "Praise You" Fatboy Slim, I thought it was E of The Eels singing.

And, later, the first time I saw the video for the same song, I was in a shoe shop where the screens were showing it, and as I thought they were security cameras, I thought the dance performance was happening in the lobby outside. I was disappointed when I walked out to see it properly.

15. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

I used to love that song 'Sound of Silence' by Simon Garfunkel.

16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I use to think Van Morrison was American.

AnotherBoss and Radagast like this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I always get a kick out of the story Adam Mitchell (co-writer of the song "Creatures of the Night" with Paul Stanley) tells.

He mentioned how shortly after the release of that album, he was watching TV one morning and a preacher on a program was using Kiss as an example of how morals will disintegrate and doomsday will be upon us all. He then said that the song "Creatures of the Night" is "devil-laden" and clearly trying to spur on forces of evil.

And Adam said "I stopped and said to myself, 'Dude, that's just a song I wrote with Paul here in my kitchen'". :laugh:

yesstiles, Jarleboy, Skydog7 and 5 others like this.
  18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I can't believe that I used to think that Sonny Bono was a joke...and that Cher could sing.

19. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

Hey! I liked Mmmmbop when it came out and I still do, but I never bought the CD. I had the Dust Bros remix on a CMJ comp. Call it a guilty pleasure.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Late 68/ early 69 - told a kid in school I didnt think Deep Purple were very good. Then summer of 69 I heard their 3rd album and have been a fan since.

21. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

I think my post is being misinterpreted. What I mean is, I was raised on and listened to metal and rock until I was around 16 in the early 90s. Bands that were heavy on synthesizers and drum machines, aka not metal or rock, were often considered by a lot of ignorant people (myself included in my early teens) as music created by and for homosexuals. Some of the bands that I scoffed at back then are now amongst my favorites.

22. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

Haha, then you will love this! From the August 2, 1975 issue of Billboard magazine.

[​IMG]

23. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

...it was Mike Love playing baritone sax on the solo of "I Know There's An Answer" on Pet Sounds. I kid you not...

Lightworker likes this.
  24. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

I used to think George and Ira Gershwin were man and wife and Henry and Sidney Cowell were brothers. :hide:

25. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

I thought Tony Joe White was black when I first heard "poke salad annie".
    I thought Dusty Springfield was American
    I thought Harry Nilsson wrote "without you".

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    TheDailyBuzzherd and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.