George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I'll probably spring for the 3 LP set to cover for my dad's original beaten and scratchy set. I would have loved to get the knick-knacks but my wallet thanks me for never getting into studio outtakes on vinyl. I'm fine with those digitally.

Any comments on the sound heard in the trailer? I'm surprised there's not more talk about it. I know a YouTube clip doesn't indicate final quality, but generally it is kind of what we are buying here - a remix.

2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

That is what I am doing, there are so many lavish box sets nowadays that unless it is a Prince box set which is always filled with unreleased treasure in spades, or Steven Wilson's very affordable-yet-content-filled box sets, I usually just stream

3. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

Look at that grass man :)

Uncle Miles likes this.
  4. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

That's the same picture of George that appears on my All Things Must Pass cassettes

They didn't use gnomes on that one

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  5. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Is the book/booklet included in the 5cd/br same in content as in the 8lp version ?

6. ........that even heavily discounted it's still over-priced?

;)

7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

To chase high-value collector $$$, they have disappointed a lot of fans who have waited years for such a release. I don’t think a better packaged 5CD/Blu set would’ve cannibalized any of the Uber sales. They are targeting very different type of buyers.

For the 5CD/Blu, I wish they would’ve taken the Abbey Road SDE or Plastic Ono Band SDE route with a nicer hard cover book. Let’s wait for some actual unboxing type videos to get better view of what’s on offer…

To be honest, I never play the CD discs included. They are ripped and it’s all digital from there. The Blu-ray does get used for surround but it’s a matter of time before I move to digital for that as well. So if the physical package doesn’t live up, then I have decided to go down the streaming route (would be first time for me for a Beatle related product).

And while disappointed about the physical package, I am still super excited about the music! The remix of Run Of The Mill sounds pretty good and I can’t wait for the full album experience. Not to mention two full days of demos and a “party disc” of outtakes :)

8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

How do you take advantage from Universal or Udiscover on the SUMMER25 or COMEBACK codes?
    It specifies that the Uber box isn't discounted using summer codes.

9. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

Can't wait for LIB uber-deluxe housed in a mini replica Savile Row building complete with rooftop beatle figurines for $999

Sis+erRay, Sargon, Bill813 and 2 others like this.
  10. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yeah I tried SUMMER25 on the Uber box for a lark on the UDiscover site, and it said "Looks like you didn’t reach the minimum order amount to use this discount." Wow!

11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I assume you’ve seen by now, but no it’s not the size of the MMT box.
    According to Amazon it’s 4.96" by 5.59 " .

12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Last night I didn’t even know this set was happening. Today I already have an order in for the 8 LP set. I do see how it could be perceived as overkill for one album. I have the deluxe LP boxes of 1999, SOTT, Wildflowers and now Deja Vu. All are awesome. Some albums are just worth the overkill.

Troyh and Naughty Chord like this.
  13. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I see your point. For us that product has been available since 1970 and there are options today. But what I am more dealing with is, how will a certain album be presented for future generations. Will there be times when average people will not really know how the original product actually sounded? Probably people would tell me not to worry about that, and maybe I am exaggerating, too. But still, I am a bit worried that, with all these remixing going on, people someday will grow up and think that this was how it sounded in 1969 or 1970 or whenever the album was released. If the originals remain available, I am fine with a remix. But if it gets hard to get hold of, I am not so fond of it. A good example for that are the Genesis remixes from 2007. They were ok, even if they were too compressed. And I enjoy them for what they are, especially the vinyl counterparts. BUT, I really must say that the originals have a charm that is deeply missed in those remixes. So a new listener that wants to get to know Genesis will probably download, stream or even buy the physical product. And all he/she will get to know are the 2007 remixes. I hope I managed to address my point.

Tord and The Quiet One like this.
  14. positively4th

positively4th Forum Resident

You don’t. Shop.udiscovermusic.com has a code UD20OFF that gives 20% off and was working earlier today though. Gets the big set down to $888 after tax and shipping.

Fred1 likes this.
  15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I decided to go for the 3CD deluxe.

Rorsontherun and Pianoman99 like this.
  16. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

For all the consternation over whether to pay insane prices, Amazon US now has $150 SDE at No. 1 and 8-lp set at No. 4. And I just wanted to check out Uber box on UDiscover (US) and it was gone. Just saying.

Uncle Miles likes this.
  17. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

Look at the dimensions on the box, 14 x 12.75 x 10.75. That's a lot smaller than the crate Dhani is sitting on. If you buy the uber box does it ship in two separate boxes (one for the figurines) ? Putting the figurines in the crates would be a tight fit. I wonder how the crates are numbered.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

Link?:D

19. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Meanwhile Sean Lennon is kicking himself for not doing another higher priced POB Box Set with John, Yoko and Arthur Janov figurines.

20. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I find it pretty funny how they're calling it the 50th Anniversary Edition. Maybe they just printed it off last year.

21. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Plot twist: Dhani is sat on a crate full of all the super deluxe sets. ;)

MarkO, Kim Olesen, FLF and 1 other person like this.
  22. positively4th

positively4th Forum Resident

Fabsmith likes this.
  23. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Me as well. The price jump to the next bigger configuration is too big, when you consider the poor packaging.

24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Or an Imagine set with a John action figure hugging a replica pig figurine.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

If they include all of Elephants Memory and the Mothers on STINYC, it's really gonna be pricey.

AlmanacZinger and Spencer R like this.