George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am disappointed in the packaging as well for the CD/BD set but considering how often I listen to the Beatles and John Lennon surround sound discs I still have to have it.

Wingsfan2012 and Fabsmith like this.
  2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Considering how disappointing the 5cd packaging is I’ve gone for the £38 24/192 download from Qobuz. I don’t usually preorder downloads but I can see this being a pricing error and being more expensive on the day.

If there ends up being some good reductions of the 8 LP set I’d consider that as well

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  3. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Won't happen. Apple is a four headed monster, and a couple of them are against this madness. Luckily ;);)

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Those same generations will also be able to avail themselves to the same products we have had for the past fifty years. I have one in my basement, and would be glad to will it to your grandchildren, if that's what keeps you up at night.
    The argument that suddenly a revision of a product comes onto the marketplace, and immediately causes fifty years worth of manufactured previous versions to become invalid, makes absolutely no sense.
    Explain to me once again how that is going to happen, considering there have been five decades for the original, highly-popular product to circulate around the world, rack up sales that indicate one-in-three people our age stand a good chance to have one in their basements, libraries are full of them, used record stores can find them in a pinch. Best of all...the people who most likely own the originals...are closer to dying...thus, returning their own original copies, to the second-hand marketplace sooner than the newer versions will, by attrition.

And, at these stated prices, there is just no way in coherence, that the newer ones will outsell the originals still existing that hippies were willing to pay seventeen dollars for back in 1970. The upcoming Zombie Apocolypse or Alien Invasion notwithstanding, there is still such a high statistical chance of five decades of old rekkids still surviving, you simply can't make the argument that all the new superdeluxeoutrageousbookletpostermatchingtieandhandkerchief editions are going to somehow erase the possibility of finding what it is you claim we are going to lose.

By the way, if your grandkids want my Genesis original mixes, just have their lawyer contact my lawyer, and I'll make sure history is not disrespected by them hearing the wrong mixes of those as well. :rolleyes:

5. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I preordered the 5 CD box set. Really looking forward to hearing the fabulous music inside.

End of the problem :nauga:

6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I missed a lot while at work today, (did manage to get my preorder in on Amazon)
    But is it for real the 5 cd box set is the size of a regular cd (I’m thinking Dylan’s bootleg 2cd sets size wise?)
    Man...if true I don’t know how else to say it but that is craptastic. They seem to be really impressed that they managed to include gnomes and what not but seem to have put as little effort as possible into the packaging of the edition that most fans will probably wind up getting.

Sis+erRay, Cledwyn, Gavaxeman and 2 others like this.
  7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Yep! My thinking as well.

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

That’s a really good price at Qobuz for the set!

dtuck90 likes this.
  9. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I don't think the majority will look in a library for that album. At least not future generations. They will mostly stream, download or get hold of the officially availble product, which then will be the remix. What they will hear on the radio, will mostly be the remix.... and so on. But maybe you are right and shouldn't worry about it.

When I introduce "Pepper" and "Abbey Road" to my 9 and 5 year old kids, I pick the original stereos. But maybe that's just me.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Tord and The Quiet One like this.
  10. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

The Estate is milking ATMP for all it's worth because none of his other solo LPs
    are going to attract collectors of SDEs.

Sis+erRay, Gavaxeman, Sargon and 3 others like this.
  11. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I think this is probably pretty close to the truth. ATMP is George's one big iconic album. And for good reason. But he has so many other records and good songs afterward, just not many other albums with big name recognition for a huge box set. Hey don't flame me I love ALL George...I'm just looking at it from the perspective of casual George/Beatles fans, not hardcore ones....

That's why I think a career-spanning outtakes/demos set is next, and it sounds like Dhani and Hicks mixed an extra 30+ tracks, any number of which could be on a future George box set.

MrSka57 and Pianoman99 like this.
  12. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

I’d easily buy the Cloud Nine, Brainwashed and Live In Japan SDEs

13. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

The Summer25 code is for 25% for anyone, the 30% code was one they sent to my email for one time use so I used it for the 5CD/1BR set for ATMP and the upcoming "Eric Clapton" album box. Nice price on both and free shipping.

14. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yeah, if they offered 40% with free shipping I would pull the trigger!

15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I’d easily buy them all, George, like John doesn’t have a vast catalog to begin with so might as well make special editions for each of them. (“Special” editions, not Uber!)

16. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Anybody know ?

17. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

UBERS for all! :D

Yes! UBER Dark Horse and Extra Texture! :righton:

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The info blurb for the 5-CD set says it comes with a 56-page scrapbook.

But the info blurb for the 8-LP set says it comes with a 60-page scrapbook.

Maybe they needed a few more pages to fit all the info about each vinyl side and about the steps/extra work involved in making the vinyl LPs.

boggs and mrjinks like this.
  19. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Ha! I walked by there once. I was too sheepish to stay longer than it took to snap a couple pictures of the big gate, but maybe next time, I’ll pick up a leaf. :D

20. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Well, I never purchased this album on CD, so I was considering buying it. But $150 is too much for what you get.. MAYBE at half that price would get a sale from me, but really I'm pretty much over big box sets. I don't have the space or money anymore. I'll stream it like the rest of the recent box releases. I've found I play them more this way.

MrSka57, Rorsontherun and Shawn like this.
  21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

22. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

It took it down to $888 and then I went to put in payment info and the next window read "The UD20OFF discount code has already been used" and it went back to regular price(?).

Thanks for the information though!

23. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Third and last time, sorry, but any thoughts or educated hypotheses on the sound of the remix? I wished they had released one full track online from it, not just the trailer. Is everyone excited and buying stuff just assuming it will sound great...based on the trailer? Based on previous experience with GH stuff in recent times? Sincerely curious.

24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

A full track has been released already - the title song.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

They have released two full tracks from the new remix, All Things Must Pass and Run Of The Mill. Both are available on Apple Music and could be on other streaming sites as well.