George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Unless it doesn’t. See the Ozzy See You On He Other Side box, the Beatles in mono, The Rolling Stones in mono and Bowie Five Years….many others.

These days if you see something you think you’ll really want find the best price available and get it NOW.

omikron, Sargon and bhazen like this.
  2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Absolutely wouldn’t be selling the CD’s.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

30% off didn’t work. Not enough in the cart??

4. It's not indicative of the vinyl (since it's obviously not the source of the YouTube track), but it's very relevant to the CD or the Blu-ray, or both, depending on if there's a difference between the BD and the CDs. We've all heard Blu-ray audio that was better, the same, or worse than the CD mastering of releases.

I was NOT expecting this kind of mastering...

...nor this kind. Without fail, the YouTube stream of a track always matches to its lossless counterpart, as compression/limiting does not change with a lossy source.

@Spencer R question is "What's the source?" because we really don't know since the set comes in multiple formats. But that's not a $150 dice roll I'm willing to take...and I was extremely happy about the news of this release.

In 2021 when nearly every legacy release is mastered with dynamics intact, and because streaming platforms now set their own loudness parameters - no matter if the recording is dynamic or not - it is 100% inexcusable for a legacy release of this magnitude and price to be dynamically compromised.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

You are definetly crazy.

6. solent

solent Forum Resident

I would have preferred a disc devoted solely to the jams rather than a few mixed in with the outtakes. Unedited and unreverbed versions of OUT OF THE BLUE and PEPPERONI definitely exist because I listened to excerpts when they were briefly published on Spotify to satisfy copyright last year.
    Just how much reverb will be left on the remixed (previously specterised) tracks like AWAITING ON YOU ALL? Does anyone know if the remix will be ‘clean?’

7. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

You'd be an absolute fool to drop $1000 for that box set. Sorry :shrug:

8. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

I was hoping for a whole disc devoted to an isolation of the electronic sample used in "I Remember Jeep;" I've heard the whole thing is is over 25 minutes long. ;)

Uncle Miles likes this.
  9. What outlets might that be?

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You clearly missed the part where it was indicated that the Uber set comes with the special "Mushroom and Onions" mix of "Thanks for the Pepperoni", the "Doors Off" mix of "I Remember Jeep" and the "Turquoise Mix" of "Out of the Blue." These versions differ by as much as a minute from the earlier versions and aren't available elsewhere.

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Until you sell it to a bigger fool for $2,000.

gkella, omikron, Gavaxeman and 10 others like this.
  12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Looks like Early Takes (Vol. 1!) is about halfway taken care of with the new set. Maybe I'm incorrect but it looks like there are six tracks from ATMP on there.

Sargon and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Exactly - the records companies for the Beatles and solo will continue to underestimate what their target audience will buy and are obsessed with giving us small bits in an attempt to protect their legacy and keeping everything in-line with the physical media releases.

Please continue to release these deluxe editions as you see fit but ALSO provide us with access to EVERYTHING in a hi-res format online that we can buy as individual tracks or packages.

Trust - we will not think less of the artist or the label and we will pay...a lot!

14. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

I'll stream it and be happy with my OG press...But for all that indulges in this release have fun!...Its all what you value!

Crimson Witch and Pianoman99 like this.
  15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I know I'm 11 pages behind, but yes those dimensions were wrong. Amazon now shows:
    7.72 x 1.57 x 7.8 inches

16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Everybody who complained come back and preorder!!

Sargon and jmxw like this.
  17. positively4th

positively4th Forum Resident

As an example, bullmoose currently has it for $135
    - George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (Super Deluxe)

I’d keep an eye on importcds.com also.

Several folks have found and posted coupons for udiscovermusic and some other stores for 20-30% off.

Amazon will also likely drop the price before release and when you preorder they give you the lowest price before it ships.

Uncle Miles likes this.
  18. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

So is it official now? All uber box sets must come with marbles?

Doggiedogma likes this.
  19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Only for the people who have lost theirs.

20. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

By definition, the 8 albums won't fit into a crate that's not bigger than 12" length and width. My guess is the white box with the figurines is smaller with action figure sized George (no kung fu grip though) so it can fit in the crate. The 14" cardboard box was a shipping container so all the lucky reviewers can have a gnome of their own?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Sargon, gaels7592, dsdu and 1 other person like this.
  21. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

Considering the original mixes are drab, I'm really looking forward to the new mixes! I've been really enjoying the new ones for The Beatles and John so far, and certainly for ATMP and the Run of the Mill outtake too.

This might be blasphemy to some of you, but almost all of them have become my go-to when I listen to the songs or suggest them to new people.

22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Correct.

23. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

Actually, dedicated to the late Neil Innes, it's the "Cheese and Onions" mix.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

:eek: With the mono mix available, how could you?!

25. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff Thread Starter

Good catch! Thanks for sharing that!