George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff Thread Starter

If you haven't got this book yet, you may enjoy it while waiting for your order to arrive:

FeinsteinBook.jpg

2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

“There were no drinks or drugs or guns,” says Leckie.

As the sessions dragged on for months, and Harrison fixated on countless guitar and vocal overdubs, Spector grew bored and unhappy, leading him to indulge in drinking; at one point, he fell, and Voormann recalls seeing the producer with a cast on his arm.

Harrison and Hicks wound up mixing so many tracks — 110 — that Harrison hints at possible future releases as well, although he says he will adhere to a strict quality-control code.

^^^ So... 40 more tracks in the can for possible future releases, eh...? :shh:

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I guess we can post photos/videos now? Here is the cover in hi-res.

[​IMG]

raveoned, Haristar, stevef and 18 others like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I got this book for Christmas but haven't opened it because I want to experience it with this box set. I'm salivating over here!

Sargon, Nogoodnik and Peter_R like this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

All Things Must Pass is forever!

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Whatever their merits as a band they have sold about 100 times more records than any solo Beatle in the last 30 years.

7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Go with the 2010 HD download if you can. Best the album will ever sound it seems.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I ordered the 5CD+BD for the BD only. The CDs are useless to me. But unfortunately I realize having to buy an overpriced set with a bunch low-rez CDs I’ll never play (rather than having standalone hi-rez download + BD-A options) is often the cost of admission these days for getting a surround mix (and some hi-rez material, if you’re lucky).

And put me down for being glad the package is only CD sized. The last thing I need is another oversized box which has no purpose other than to take up space I don’t have.

9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I've done some research for you to help you case them out.
    1. Zeal Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 15950 Middlebelt Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48154

2. Community Choice Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 15420 Farmington Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48154
    3. DFCU Financial
    • Bank
    • 37373 7 Mile Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48152
    4. Independent Bank
    • Bank
    • 37601 5 Mile Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48154

5. Fifth Third Bank
    • Bank
    • 33246 Plymouth Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48150

6. Michigan Educational Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 14921 Middlebelt Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48154
    7. Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 20595 Farmington Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48152
    8. Catholic Vantage Financial
    • Bank
    • 36111 5 Mile Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48154
    9. Vibe Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 16825 Middlebelt Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48154
    10. Chase Bank
    • Bank
    • 32203 Plymouth Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48150
    11. TCF Bank
    • Bank
    • 33200 Plymouth Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48150

12. Community Choice Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 34930 Ann Arbor Trail
    • Livonia, MI 48150

13. Parkside Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 36525 Plymouth Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48150

14. Zeal Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 17250 Newburgh Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48152
    15. Lake Michigan Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 19025 Newburgh Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48152

16. Christian Financial Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 33036 7 Mile Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48152

17. Chase Bank
    • Bank
    • 37458 6 Mile Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48152

18. Community Alliance Credit Union
    • Bank
    • 37401 Plymouth Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48150

19. Bank of America
    • Bank
    • 30055 Plymouth Rd
    • Livonia, MI 48150

10. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

Agreed! The serious GH fans (I think a fair number of people!) don't start and end with ATMP and many would be all in for all his albums. I absolutely would.

11. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

I knew some hardcore GnR fans in the past (not sure where they all went?) and none of those guys were the collecting type. I think it was a valid point.

DELLOTRON likes this.
  12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Pretty soon they're going to have to put the dimensions in the press release/promotional pieces to prevent Amazon costing them sales by posting false random placeholder sizes.

supermd likes this.
  13. Paul Guerrero

Paul Guerrero Well-Known Member

I have been waiting a long time for a remix of this album. But judging by ‘Run Of The Mill’, I doubt I’ll enjoy what’s to come. ‘Run Of The Mill’ Take 36, however, was very cool. So looking forward to more outtakes and demos instead.

I just feel the track is too bassy now and the vocals too forward in the mix. I didn’t like most of John’s Ultimate Mixes because of the boosted bass. I had hoped that Dhani would have more sense than Sean.

I’ll continue listening to both versions and see if I change my mind.

The early 2000’s remixes of ‘Plastic Ono Band’ and ‘Imagine’ were more successful to me than the most recent mixes - particularly on ‘Gimme Some Truth’. Although, the more recent remix ‘How Do You Sleep’ was pretty good and better than the earlier remix.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Sargon, Lewisboogie and DK Pete like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Let’s hope it’s just the mastering, rather than the mix itself being squashed. At least then, there is hope for the hi-rez downloads/vinyl.

But I suspect the new mix itself is most or all of the issue, not the mastering.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Even worse...

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Possibly, but dwarves and elaborate pieces of wood for $1000 are in the same ballpark. There are people who can't sleep at night unless they have everything, this is for them

* I could buy a car for $1000 maybe not the best one but it would work!

Doggiedogma and mark winstanley like this.
  17. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

Beatufiul. I personally would've done a natural color pic (not that awful 2000 nonsense) but this is great too!

supermd likes this.
  18. That would be worse! We know that the original mix is dynamic enough. So, when you get down to individual tracks in the mix, and the engineer seperates them out in a nice console, and now you're running them through analog EQ, they might go through a summing mixer, etc., the opposite should happen.

Gross and/or purposeful negligence on the engineer's part, especially these days, is not acceptable by any measure.

And it shouldn't be acceptable to anybody on this forum whether their system is $150 or $150,000 dollars.

I mean, I'm not going tell anybody what to accept or not; that's not my place, but I feel if this turns out to be a shoddy product, for such a magnificent album, those involved in the product should suffer for it. I'm crossing my fingers that the BD audio will be okay.

Anthrax, MetalGuruMessiah and DK Pete like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Or maybe make it a bigger product to get a bigger bang for your buck.

crossroads69 likes this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I would have loved to have a natural color version of the cover.

I do like this subtle green color, though.

Sargon likes this.
  21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

that doesn't solve the problem.. box can be 12 x 12.. if amazon lists it as 5 x 5, it's false advertising and apparently hurts sales.

supermd likes this.
  22. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I agree, especially for albums like LITMW, Extra Texture, and Brainwashed

23. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I like the way they've added back a hint of green on the trees. Ties in nicely with the green and black splatter vinyl. They certainly got this one right.

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I hear you, but I’m adding onto that, saying that making it bigger, like 10 x 10 or 12 x 12, will cause more people to buy it. I am pretty close to just getting a much cheaper digital version, and I have read many posters here who are doing the same, or even streaming it, instead of purchasing the 5CD/BD set. They lost a good amount of sales by making this a skimpy physical product. Because, really, the only reason people were even looking at the dimensions on Amazon is because the photos accurately show it being much smaller than most of us assumed it to be. Making it obviously bigger than the size of a CD wouldn’t have caused very many people, if any at all, to look at the dimensions.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  25. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

i loathe it, why wash it out like that?