Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds (2020)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sixtiesstereo, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I made no comment on the "best option".

I commented on the fact you spread literal "fake news" about the movie.

What's not to understand? You made false claims! :wtf:

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Final trailer

groundharp and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I saw the original trailer so many times, it feels like I saw it already.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when or is this out yet?

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ha ha - yeah!

That's been the case with a bunch of movies that got delayed and delayed and delayed again.

You'd need a supercomputer the size of a basketball arena to count all the times I've seen the "Black Widow" trailer! :D

JohnG and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. JohnG

‘yeah that’s another one. As soon as the movies reopened here on LI which was about July 2020, I started going once a week again so I’ve been seeing these trailers (their aren’t many to show until now) over and over. A Quiet Place 2 was another.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

New Deadpool film. Lol :D

8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Don't know about Netflix, but Free Guy is showing at my local theater today August 12. Is it December yet?

EVO Cinemas

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Vickie and I will be seeing this tonight in Dolby Cinema.

jpelg, vince and Juan Matus like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Saw it tonight. Enjoyable summer movie. It's not particularly deep or thoughtful, but then again it's a film about life inside of a video game.

Veech, vince, TheVU and 3 others like this.
  11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I haven't seen it. Looks like an extremely dumbed-down, one-dimensional version of Ready Player One. From the director of the Night at the Museum series and Steve Martin's Cheaper by the Dozen and Pink Panther. Not Steve's finest hours. Looks like a waste of time when the concept has already been done to classy, pristine perfection by Steven Spielberg.

12. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

But Ryan Reynolds is so damn likeable.

It's rare these days I want to go see a movie just to watch an actor. Back in the '80's it was Gene Hackman and Robert Duvall but that was because they developed a track record of choosing to be in movies with really compelling story lines that didn't always come across in a movie trailer.

Chris DeVoe, jpelg and Juan Matus like this.
  13. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

What’s funny is my main thought was after leaving the theater was,

well that was a cute little movie.

A fun summer CG fest, with some heartfelt messages littered throughout.

From comments above. Reynolds really only has so much screen time left. Look at Farrell. His schtick finally got tired for audiences. Everyone has their limits. It would be advantageous for both Reynolds and Farrell to pursue more dynamic work. I was just thinking the other day about how Stranger Than Fiction was Farrells best.

Reynolds is still on top of his game, but a striking departure would be very welcomed.

14. bulletinwbw

bulletinwbw Forum Resident

Very excited for this. But not ready to visit movie theaters yet.

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Makes sense to make a little PG-13 affair, sandwiched between "Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard" & "Deadpool 3"!

16. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Did they use Baba O'Riley in the movie?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

We saw this yesterday at the movie theater. 1PM Tuesday so there were maybe ten other people in there with us. The theater is new, having opened about two months ago. It's a smallish kind of "boutique" theater with seven screening rooms each seating about 120 or so people. It was the first time I had been to the movies in a year and a half, maybe more. I like playing video games and enjoy watching Ryan Reynolds do his thing.

So considering all of the above, I had a great experience. The movie itself is hectic, lots of snappy dialogue with a lot of trademark Deadpool/Reynolds quick quips. Quite a few times everyone in the theater LOL'ed. Visually it's bombastic but it's meant to emulate a video game environment. There is a ton of stuff going on in the background and would be worth getting on blu-ray (or watching again on streaming) just to hit pause/replay to catch the many easter eggs. Oh.. and I :love: Molotov Girl.

It's light popcorn entertainment with some commentary on the state of AAA game developers vs indies. There are some neat cameos
    Chris Evans' bit is short but perfect
    and the visual FX are nuts. Free Guy checked a lot of boxes for me. If you enjoy this kind of thing I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Chris DeVoe and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

Not that I heard. It has become one of the most used trailer songs.

groundharp likes this.
  19. JohnG

Saw it Tuesday, it’s a winner! Even the wife loved it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Decent enough flick, and Jodie Comer was wonderful, but all the video-game jargon left me scratching my head and depressed for all the people who understood it.

Andy Smith likes this.
  21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

It shows effectively what a shallow world the folks who immerse themselves completely in video games live in. Laughable pathetic figures. The movie doesn't beat you to death with The Message, but it's fairly obvious what the writers intended. Also, like you, a lot of the gaming references went straight over my head. I'm the wrong generation for all that rubbish.
    That said, I LOVED the film. The soundtrack is uplifting.
    Wish there'd been a Wrexham gag though....

22. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The box office hold was incredible. Making a strong case that simultaneous streaming is killing box office. This has no streaming and has a second-weekend hold like a pre-pandemic movie.

‘Free Guy’ Holding Up Against Pandemic With $17M+; ‘Paw Patrol’ Arrests $13M+: Box Office – Deadline

Disney/20th Century Studios’ Free Guy is holding up significantly better than expected, bound for an estimated $17.2M, easing an amazing -39%, after a second $5.2M Friday, -50%, for what will be a 10-day total of $57.2M.

Steve Carras and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I saw this last night with my 14 y.o. daughter in an Imax theatre. We both really enjoyed it for what it was: a fun film with great effects, relatable characters, no heavy handed morality tale, a minor romance which didn't take over the movie and actually funny jokes that weren't overplayed.

Since we are both medium-core gamers, we understood the premise and the references, but to be honest you didn't need to understand gaming to appreciate the story.

I have no real opinions of Ryan Reynolds, I enjoy his films and don't overthink his performances. In this one he played an NPC (non-playable character in a video game), and did a pretty good job of it.

The others leads were good, and I quite enjoyed Taika Waititi.

Having seen comparisons to Ready Player One, I would agree to a point, except RPO was too much of everything, and relied on an already mythical real world to justify the premise of the story. Free Guy worked better for me, because the fantastical elements were all in the game itself, and the real world was as real as ours is. The story of Free Guy was simpler, and in being simple didn't need to have such gravitas to carry the plot and make it relatable.

Ready Player One was certainly enjoyable, but I struggle to want to rewatch it. Free Guy we're already thinking of seeing again.

This is my opinion, but I would recommend it for anyone who plays modern video games, especially younger audiences.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Actually it wasn’t bad ( truly bad).

25. Chris DeVoe

My wife and I don't play video games, and I'm sure there's a ton of stuff that flew right past us, bit it was still a perfectly enjoyable film. I have a little bit more knowledge of the video game world solely through geek cultural osmosis, but it's not necessary to be a gamer to enjoy this.

"Catchphrase!"

citizensmurf likes this.