George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Have you seen the original album cover? That’s even more washed out.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Perhaps in the next 24 hours we can get some accurate and confirmed measurements on the SDE box size. There seem to be several different ideas flying around. I agree, if the Harrisons (or Universal) lose out on sales because they foolishly opted for a smaller than anticipated box, they have only themselves to blame. They clearly didn't do their homework. How much more would it have cost them to bump up the size of the box and make the book a little sturdier? Probably very little.

3. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

true, but then they has the luscious green one, i guess they're trying to be different

raveoned and supermd like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

All you really need is to look at the photo. That says it all. It really is that small. Sad.

crossroads69 and Lewisboogie like this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They’re trying to remain faithful to the original, but tweak it enough to let you know it’s different. I would have really enjoyed the original photo, but in real/natural color, since it was taken in color and turned to b&w for the album cover.

BeatleJWOL, Sargon, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  6. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]
    Dhani, Look Out!
    [​IMG]

7. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I love it! New phone background

raveoned and supermd like this.
  8. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Yes, it could fill a box set void!

9. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Even with the updated dimensions, I’m hopeful yet doubtful that importcds’ price will take much of the sting out of the purchase for me. I don’t really think it’ll be under $100, but that would help. It’ll likely be between $100-110. With the US qobuz price at $70, I’ll be truly struggling to justify almost $40 for this packaging.

Edit: Oh, and the discs themselves.

Is there at least some cool spot varnishing in the new design? That may help.

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

What version of The White Album got anything like the most extreme versions of Flaming Pie and the upcoming ATMP? The White Album SDE is fairly compact and affordable.

Wingsfan2012, Lewisboogie and supermd like this.
  11. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I’m in for a remix of Dark Horse (paired with rumored tour DVD) and a less-slick 33 1/3!

Naughty Chord likes this.
  12. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

Some people gamble, some people fish, some people hunt, some people spend their money on guns, some like cars or motorcycles, some people go out to eat/entertain/party...i have friends who drop 1k on golf trips several times a year ....some people collect other things.

We don't know what things some people maybe give up to fund their hobby, but if they are passionate about it and it makes them happy...and they can make it happen....then they should go for it! I wanted the Uber and could justify spending the money by cutting a few other things for the next couple of months, but ultimately for me at least, i just know that I wouldn't often go through the trouble to dig into it and play anything and it would end up mostly collecting dust because but then I'd never be able to part with it either. I'd mostly just think about it?:shrug: I'm really all about that Atmos anyway for serious listening, other times I'll rely on the digital versions that I'll purchase (HighRes!) or rip.

It's a gorgeous and unique set and I'm happy for those who decided it's the one for them!

13. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

It is a beautiful book, and I am glad I got it.

supermd and Rorsontherun like this.
  14. Rorsontherun

Rorsontherun Forum Resident

I always wondered how would this book be. I also want to read Behind the Locked Door!

15. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the newly released take of Run of the Mill. Really enjoyed the new mix of All Things Must Pass (as well as the original mix). From the All Things Must Pass 5oth Anniversary YouTube trailer I thought My Sweet Lord was much too bass heavy, but I'm *very* wary of any and all audio processed through YouTube, especially from a trailer of clips. Tracks on Spotify seem to be much more representative of the final project (and at a higher fidelity), so it's a better resource for previewing music. In any event, the other snippets from the trailer sounded good. In general I quite like how the audio content is shaping up, in addition to the selection of content. Does anyone know which tracks from Early Takes, Vol. 1 will be on this new set?

16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

That Dhani always enjoyed a game of croquet:

[​IMG]

Wingsfan2012, omikron and supermd like this.
  17. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

You know, I have no intention of spending a grand on this thing, but I’m very happy some fans have not only the means to do so but a strong enough appreciation for this particular album to make such an investment.

Don’t begrudge someone for finding that much value in this set. Labeling someone a “fool” simply for not sharing your lack of appreciation for this or any other work of art is as ignorant as it is rude.

18. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff Thread Starter

Very well said. I think this could be described as a "teachable moment."

Wingsfan2012, Hawkman, obi and 11 others like this.
  19. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

It's the 3CD for me. With the discount, it's $20 shipped from UDiscover. Original remixed + 17 bonus tracks and a mini poster is the steal of a deal from these releases, and exciting to me. Thank you Dhani and Olivia!

I'll stream the demos, and that's fine.

I was prepared to pony up for the 5CD/1BR if it was around $100 with a big book, but $150 with a smallish scrapbook is too steep for me. Especially considering I got the White Album SDE for $83.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yeah, please use the 25% off promo code!

21. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

“Run of the Mill” (Take 36) sounds like something from Blonde on Blonde — all ramshackle and I love it.

Aoide, Yovra, stevef and 4 others like this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I can hardly care about what "the majority" will do...just so long as they don't whine about somebody "painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa" one more tired time.

They wanna throw away their money and complain that they didn't get the same product in the original form they could have had half a century ago...let 'em.

I for one am looking forward to what fifty years of improved audio technology can do in the right hands.

23. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Hey, lately I've been having trouble sleeping at night. Could you please confirm that I have everything? :yawn:

P.S. When you say "ballpark", do you mean Friar Park? Yes, both the dwarves and wood can be found there. Does this mean the crate comes with a baseball too?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  24. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

The original mix could use a little cleaning up.
    [​IMG]

25. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Well you're a rare one!

P.S. Is that your OLED tv/theatre room set up in your pic? Give it to me!