George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Just started an Amazon Music free trial so I could listen to the Run of the Mill remix.

It's good, but the differences aren't as immediately noticeable as with the All Things Must Pass remix, imo. I guess that's to be expected from the more acoustic sounding songs.

Lewisboogie and autumn daze like this.
  2. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

So, book wise, what am I missing in the 8LP vs. the Uber?

3. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I love the sound and tonality of the original stereo on a good sound system with fine speakers!!!

EdogawaRampo, blutiga and boggs like this.
  4. Pianoman99

Me too. Like I said I am not against remixes in general. This was not the point.

Dillydipper likes this.
  5. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I think this one was more in line with Hicks’ work on Imagine and Plastic Ono Band - trying to recreate the old mixes with more clarity essentially. My only problem with the 2020 mix is the drier, louder vocals means the double tracked vocal in the left channel is clearer and a bit more distracting. Otherwise, it’s such a wonderful song that the mix does it justice.

6. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Thinking about the extortionate price of the Uber box and the fact that it doesn’t have these 40 tracks and what little audio content is actually within it makes me sick to be honest.

Absolutely no chance of me buying any of the physical editions. I’ll stream it / rip it for as little as possible.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Bookwise:

The 8-LP set has a "60-page scrapbook" (I presume it is LP-sized).

The Uber set has 2 books: "An elaborate and expanded 96-page version of the scrapbook curated by Olivia Harrison, with unseen imagery and memorabilia from the era, handwritten lyrics, diary entries, studio notes, tape box images, a comprehensive track-by-track, and more; while a second 44-page book chronicling the making of All Things Must Pass through extensive archival interviews with notes is also contained herein. The elegantly designed books pay homage to Harrison’s love of gardening and nature."

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

Some? I thought only Run of the Mill from this set is available to listen to.

9. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

I don't suppose there's any info on the weight anyone has seen for the uber box? I'm considering buying it from New Zealand, but they want US$396 shipping! I was thinking of getting it shipped to a US address , as I have a 20% off code and trying to get it shipped but no idea what weight to plan on! Surely I can beat $396...

10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Well, I'm hoping the track-by-track at least makes it's way to the 8LP. :whistle:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Boomer is a state of mind.

12. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, the remix definitely has that Paul Hick’s sound, in line with his recent work for Imagine and Plastic Ono Band. But he seems to have had more free hand with ATMP bringing up instrument volumes (horns in Run of the Mill) or instrument positioning (horn in ATMP). The Lennon remixes have generally been very faithful to the originals except more prominent vocals and increased clarity levels.

13. Milu

Milu Well-Known Member

Not Paul Hicks again. :mad: He already ruined the surround mix for the original album "Imagine" 2018. "John Lennon Plastic Ono Band" as well. There are people who can do it better.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I didn't get the Plastic Ono Band set, but I thought he did a good job with Imagine.

BeatleJWOL and Rorsontherun like this.
  15. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

What are you talking about? POB 50 mix is great.

BeatleJWOL, pcain and joelee like this.
  16. You're lucky. No vouchers work here in the UK and we get charged as much for postage for Petes sake! How is that right?

Similar to the price gouging for The Beatles boxes over here, I'm not surprised there aren't that many active buyers of physical product for this band here anymore.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I do agree with you in terms of access. The books can to a certain extent work as standalone references, although a certain proportion does directly reference the musical contents of the discs. That is why I mentioned the Lennon books. In reality of course you need both but I think that the Lennon camp have at least tried to tackle the plight of those who perhaps cannot spring for the whole SDE set. Having said that, the Lennon sets are not over priced anyway, but for some the reading option is welcome. And the case of the Imagine and POB books they are worthy standalone and/or expansions to the audio sets. They are separate items that can be enjoyed as bolt-on extras. Some overlap but you do not feel in any way cheated buying both.

One of these days we will all agree that a project is perfect. Or more likely we won't!

18. gponter79

gponter79 Forum Resident

As I've mentioned earlier on one of these threads... try buying from the Abbey Road online store but sign up as a first time buyer for 10% off. The Uber box starting price with them is £859. I bought the 8LP set earlier for £164.

Imagine70 likes this.
  19. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Especially compared to the 3 Lennon sets, or even the 3 Beatles boxes. Heck, even the CD/BD +1 set was packaged and priced attractively.

Sis+erRay, babyblue and Lewisboogie like this.
  20. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Dark Horse too... the DE-LARINGITIZED mix!!! Also isn't there a prior attempt at the album somewhere???

bpmd1962 likes this.
  21. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Since George passed, the Harrisons’ public posture has been that of preserving control, demonstrating and reminding us, they are in control.

Just ten short tracks on Early Takes. A second volume that was teased but never materialized. A number of times they mentioned, during promotion, transcendent things they heard while compiling a release that they did not include. We will get what we get when we get it, and that’s that. They seek, it seems, to induce a Buddist Zen-state within us all. Awaiting On You All.

Well, for me it has worked. I no longer get angry about it. I am happy for what we do get, when we get it. I imagine many of the tracks on this release, bonus and otherwise, will be stellar, especially if the preview tracks are any indication.

I was not going to spend $150 for a CD sized box. But for 7.5 x 7.5, I will probably spring for the super deluxe. Seven and a half is big enough to feel like something special...

The only chance at future releases is if this one is successful. So vote with your dollars, yens, euros and pesos if you want more.

It’s a shame Dhani has embodied, foremost, an ethos of not releasing anything that might be possibly flawed. Reminds me of his father’s own sheepishness about the quality of his songs until the ATMP musicians assured him otherwise of their great worth.

Ironically, what has been released on Early Takes, and other bonus tracks they have let out over the years, are among the best George Harrison tracks ever. Scan not a bonus track with a microscopic lens. The feared barrel scrapings are already found on the albums proper.

Show us George dressed down, without pretense, without horns and walls of sound. That intimate side is what connects him to us.

Let the flood of a generous spirit take control, Dhani. And release, free of charge, 41 more bonus tracks on the website. Go to the window! ...Go to the window!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  22. DELLOTRON

DELLOTRON Forum Resident

I really really like (I truly) the new version of (and genuinely) 'Run of the mill'. It sounds lovely in every (hate this place) way.

Thank you.

23. Pianoman99

So if you have that scrapbook, does it mean that you don't need the booklet of the 5 CD version? Maybe they are also completely different... :sigh:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The scrapbook in the 5-CD set is 56 pages as compared to the 60 pages of the scrapbook in the 8-LP set. The scrapbook in the 5-CD set also may be smaller in measurements.

I presume most of the text content in the two scrapbooks with be the same, but the scrapbook for the 8-LP set has a few extra pages --- maybe containing text/photos related specifically to the vinyl mastering or other vinyl-related details.

25. Pianoman99

I am thinking more and more that I will skip the 5 CD set - considering its poor packaging. Or at least wait for a special offer someday. I do not necessarily need the Bluray immediately.

crossroads69 and MrSka57 like this.