INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Reference guide

1980 -1992

1992 Documentary

1993 Get Out Of The House EP

Nov 1993 Full Moon Dirty Hearts

Days Of Rust
    The Gift - video - ext. - bonus beat
    Make Your Peace
    Time - video - live
    I'm Only Looking - remix - video -Morales
    Please... - edit - club - dub - downtown - instr. - Letterman
    Full Moon, Dirty Hearts
    Freedom Deep - video -extended - live
    Kill The Pain - video
    Cut Your Roses Down - Sure Is Pure mix
    The Messenger
    Viking Juice - Butcher Mix

Born To Be Wild
    alt tracklisting
    Promo tour clips
    MTV Asia interview

Live in 1993

Oct 1994 The Greatest Hits
    The Strangest Party - live - remix
    Deliver Me - demo

Sing Something (bside)

Nov 1994 The Great Video Experience

Keep The Peace

1995 Original Sin remixes

Michael Soundtrack songs 95/96
    Under My Thumb
    Baby Lets Play House
    The Passenger
    Spill the Wine

Red Hill
    The Heads - The King Is Gone

Apr 1997 Elegantly Wasted
    Show Me
    Elegantly Wasted - radio edit - Shagsonic - dub - Gforce - Aspen
    Everything - video - May 97 - Aspen - Jaxx club - Jaxx dub
    Don't Lose Your Head - Leadstation - Radio Edit - Tonight Show
    Searching - Arias - Leadstation main - Leadstation Radio - Reece - Campbell - Leadstation Funk, video
    I'm Just A Man - live
    Girl On Fire - mix
    We Are Thrown Together
    Shake The Tree
    She Is Rising
    Building Bridges
    Shine

Let It Ride
    Never Tear Us Apart acoustic
    Need You Tonight Aspen

Live 1997

Live In Aspen

Tour Rehearsals

Michael

June 1999 Inxs with TTD

Dec 1999 Michael Hutchence (the album)
    Let Me Show You

Possibilities
    Get On The Inside
    Fear
    All I'm Saying
    A Straight Line
    Baby It's Alright
    Don't Save Me From Myself
    She Flirts For England
    Flesh and Blood
    Put The Pieces Back Together
    Breathe
    Slide Away

b-side Standing On A Rooftop

June 2001 Shine Like It Does Anthology

Precious Heart - vs Tall Paul

I'm So0 Crazy - vs Par-T-One

June 2002 The Best Of Inxs
    Salvation Jane
    Tight - mix - mix 2

Oct 2002 Stay Young 1979-1982
    Telefone
    Silent Night
    Breakaway
    Reckless Ways
    Pretzel Logic
    Feeling Good
    Miss Shapiro/You Really Got Me
    On A Bus
    Underneath the Colours ( Chicken Mix)

The Farriss Brothers - Live at the Alley Cat Wine Bar 1979
    Lucky Key Ring
    Jet Airliner/ Slipped My Disco

Oct 2002 Definitive

Dec 2002 The Years 79-97 cd and dvd

Apr 2004 The Remixes

Sept 2004 Original Sin The Collection

Jul 2005 The TV Show

Kick Deluxe and special editions 1989-2017
    Mediate live in US
    Never Tear Us Apart live in US
    Kick live in US

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD and The MEZ like this.
  2. mark winstanley

Apologies, I completely misread that for some reason. I have added the video to the reference list

3. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

It's kind of odd how they separated Mediate live from NYT on this release since both tracks were obviously performed together each night. Nevertheless, I'm impressed with not only Michael's memory, considering how many lyrics there are in this song to sing but also Kirk's solos and improvs, etc. This is a good live version.

Kick would start the show most nights on this tour. And while it's a very good live take, the only thing I don't like about it, is that Tim's guitar is undermixed. Regardless, Kirk is the instrumental superstar here. What excellent and complimentary sax parts!

Never Tear Us Apart also has Tim's guitar undermixed. But Kirk shines through and is once again, a very strong focus, not only through backing vocals but by playing one of the best, if not the best sax solos in music history. And of course Michael's lead vocal delivery is breathtaking...

Here's the Billboard Boxscore from the San Diego show...

INXS, P.I.L.
    Sports Arena
    San Diego, CA
    March 31, 1988
    Gross: $212,118
    Capacity: 12,121
    Attendance: Sold Out
    Ticket Price: $17.50
    Bill Silva Presents

4. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Yes,I agree it’s awkward to add a studio track to a live album, but at least love is a battlefield and wild boys are actually pretty great songs. Those two hold up well against the overall canon of the artists that put them out. INXS is a top-notch band, but this song is clearly a bit of a throwaway in my opinion.

twicks and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

Jesus Was A Man.

Jesus was a man
    He was better than you or I
    They didn't tell him
    No, they didn't tell him
    You didn't know

Hitler was a man
    He didn't know what to do anymore
    Everybody said someone else
    But we know that's a lie

Yeah,
    Gandhi was a man
    He took the millions and gave them more
    We all adore

I said it long ago
    Where the situation screams so true
    All of it was long ago in humanity
    So climb out of the cradle
    And show yourself to the rest of humanity
    Cause I told you long ago even though you knew yourself
    And all you thought was true,
    So true,
    Too true...

Pieces of you
    Little pieces, little pieces of you
    Oh, little pieces of me and you

Jesus was a man
    He was better than you or I
    No one told him, no one knew

Hitler was a man
    You know it
    In humanity to man

Pieces of you
    Little pieces of me and you

Ohhh, little pieces of me and you
    Ohhh, oh oh oh

My guitar doesn't work and I wanna play a lead solo!

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Hutchence
    Jesus Was A Man lyrics © Chardonnay Investments Ltd

The first thing that strikes me about this is the vocal, I don't like it. It sounds like Michael is trying to sound like Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil.

Lyrically this is pretty average.

I like the feel of the music. It has a smooth flowing feel, and I think it comes together well.

For the most part I think think this was wise to move from. Not one of their better efforts.

6. mark winstanley

The Trap.

Don't you worry don't you worry
    Everything's gonna be all right

Well life is the trap but it sure tastes good
    Afar from junk it ain't a fool

It's dark dark and lonely
    And there's no one no one there

All these days are better than of its fair
    Don't you worry don't you worry

Life is the trap it's cold to the touch
    You got diamond dreams it's cold to the touch

Days of abandon nothing is there

Loosing reason loosing reason
    Loosing reason loosing reason to care

Well life is the trap but sure tastes good
    Afar from junk than of its fair

Don't you worry
    Everything's all right

I can see why these are outtakes really. This track also hasn't got much of a lyric, and the music isn't bad, but is a little generic and doesn't really stand out as anything particularly fresh or special.

7. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Jesus Was A Man
    Definitely not one of their better songs. Nothing about this one has ever struck me as catchy, or even interesting. It’s interesting that this even made it to the stage at which MH did s9me vocals for it. Nothing about this song remotely songs like something they’d put in Kick. And at 6+ minutes instead of the usual 3:30 for INXS you can tell they were probably just playing around in the studio to see if any “magic” happened.

I agree. That’s why it seems tome they are just jamming around and trying out song ideas to see if anything clicks. This vocal style doesn’t work very well for MH.

The Trap
    This music track is clearly a pre-cursor to “Tiny Daggers”, but with a different set of lyrics before they arrived at the finished product. I like this one a lot, but I am happier with the final set of lyrics that ended up on the album.

8. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Jesus Was A Man (demo) partly sounds like Michael just came back into the studio from a night out on the town PLASTERED. This is because during the first 1/3, his singing is utterly embarrassing. However, for the remainder, he improves but doesn't seem to connect with the material as well as he probably should have. The musical arrangements are enjoyable and they eventually develop this uplifting Pink Floyd vibe by the 2nd half. If better lyrics / vocal melodies were written, I think INXS could've taken this track to a far more interesting place...

The Trap (demo) is semi-generic lyrically. And again, the pop rock instrumentation shows promise but is in desperate need of being feed better lyrical content in order enhance the quality but unfortunately, it just doesn't get there...

9. mark winstanley

Different World.

Looking for an answer
    You've got to start somewhere
    Sooner or later
    Well you've got to show something
    I wasn't feeling too good
    This is all I have
    Would you take it from me?
    The future's uncertain, but I feel no pain
    It's a different world
    But the heat's the same
    Head to New York City
    Do you know my name?
    Know my name

The places I'm needed
    What more could I ask for?
    Oh baby there's something
    One day I might get there

Out of the red
    And into the blue
    You know there's something
    Burning deep inside you
    And now I'm doing so well
    Look at all I have
    It's a different world
    But the heat's the same
    Head to New York City
    Yeah, you know my name
    Know my name

It's a different jungle
    But the heat's the same
    Head to New York City
    Yeah, you know my name
    Know my name

Looking for an answer
    Well you've got to start somewhere
    Sooner or later
    You've got to show something

Out of the red
    Into the blue
    Anywhere you go
    Burning deep inside you

And now I'm doing so well
    Look at all I have
    It's a different world
    But the heat's the same
    Head to New York City
    Yeah you know my name
    Know my name

It's a different jungle
    But the heat's the same
    Head to New York City
    Yeah you know my name
    Know my name

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Kellan Hutchence
    Different World lyrics © Chardonnay Investments Ltd., Inxs Publishing Pty. Ltd.

I'm not sure how we missed this in the regular discography, but this was supposed to be from Crocodile Dundee, though it doesn't seem to be listed.

This track is a lot more finished off, arranged and written than yesterdays tracks.
    This is a pretty good track, that leans toward the earlier style of the band, with elements of the Kick era in there also.
    We get some pretty good drums and a nice rhythmic instrumental break.
    To some degree this has a bit of a movie soundtrack kind of sound to it, it is slightly generic in some ways, but it is a pretty good song that is a nice addition to the extended version of Kick.

10. mark winstanley

Different World 12"

As was the order of the day, we get the extended version of the track. Thankfully it retains the heart of the song.

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Mystify, Chicago demo.

We have a drum machine setting the pace here, and the piano is essentially the same. You can see how the arrangement came out of this.
    Essentially this has most of the elements included, but we got some nice arrangements to set the song off and give us the finalised version.
    Michael obviously reconsidered his vocal delivery, though again, most of this is pretty close to the finished delivery.

12. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Different World
    Crocodile Dundee was a surprise hit in America. INXS had contributed this song to the movie, but I think this was not promoted as a single outside of Australia because they didn’t want a non-album single from a movie competing with Listen Like Thieves album sales. So that’s why the rest of the world saw it in the form of Kick Bsides. Soundwise, it seems to straddle the line between the LLT album sounds and the Kick album sounds. The shorter version and the 12” version are both great tracks and I always include them in any mid-80’s INXS listening session or playlist.

Mystify (Chicago demo)
    That piano lick is still here, even in the demo. Those goofy synth sounds around the chorus are thankfully left out from the final product.

13. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

I'll be back when we get to Switch. Taking a quick break.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Even though INXS were performing it during the 2nd half of the LLT tour, I'm somewhat surprised Different World didn't wind up on Kick because I think it's strong enough and pretty much fits the flow, since all of the parts embody a classic pop rock song - melodic, hooky & even a little funky. And I LOVE the 12" version's instrumental break, complete with Kirk's perfectly-executed sax lines. But then again, there's something about it that is slightly less special than the tracks comprised on Kick. But I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps it's not unique enough? It's a great song nonetheless.

Mystify (Chicago demo) is a abstract look at how this song partly wound up or even could've wound up. The foundation is basically the same but the embellishments and the rest of the instrumentation obviously weren't written yet. It's mildly interesting but not enough to endure that many repeated listens. Thankfully, we have the album version intact...

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Normally I’m not that excited about demos…for normal rock bands they’re basically less-good, poorer-sounding versions of what you already know. But INXS late 80’s & early 90’s productions were such lavish & technical studio creations that a whole set of INXS demos would be super fun to hear. I don’t know how many exist where Michael wrote and sung lyrics (finished or not) before a proper recording was made, but id love to hear more beyond “Mystify.”

16. mark winstanley

Move On (guitar version)

I'm pretty sure that @dirkster posted this when we looked at the song initially.
    As already stated, this is a shorter and more punchy version.
    Instead of the dancing keys at the start we get an almost ZZ Top kind of guitar intro, and I think the song works really well in this form.
    It's interesting that we have this b-side in a couple of versions, and I can only assume that they liked the song, but couldn't decide what form they wanted it to take.
    We have a nice lead break from the guitar in here also. It is s series of nice held notes, with a focus on the melodic structure and just a couple of little flourishes.

This could have probably made it onto a lot of their albums, but with the direction Kick took, this probably didn't quite make the grade.

17. mark winstanley

Never Tear Us Apart (soul version)

Here we have an opening that is directed by the guitar, and it has an almost folk ballad kind of feel to it. This is preceded by some studio banter, and it's a good way to come into the song.
    After the initial lead up riff, we get a short sax lead, and it is really effective, even if memory gets confused expecting the vocal to come in.
    Then we move into a section that was the bridge, set up as a verse...

One thing we get from this is that the band were certainly playing around with their arrangements a fair bit, and that's always a good sign.

I actually really like this version, but I think they chose the correct version to go with on the album.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  18. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Move On (guitar version)
    This could go on the album. It’s that good. The funny thing is that they didn’t even use this as the Bside. This “guitar version” is better than the version on the Bside though. In between Listen Like Thieves and Welcome To Wherever You Are INXS left off a couple album tracks that showed their rock side: “Move On (guitar version)” on Kick and “Waiting To Be Free” on X. Kick and X both suffered a bit from this and INXS seemed to get pigeonholed as a pop group.

Never Tear Us Apart (soul version)
    Not a remix, but an alternate arrangement that the band tried out. This take feels a little unfinished and unadorned; they probably would have added some little flourishes if they had chosen this for the album. We are so used the album version that this one feels “wrong”, but this is a nice version and I’m glad they included it on the set.

19. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Move On (guitar version) is similar to DW, in that it has almost all of the elements that a classic pop rock song should have, but there's also something about it that perhaps doesn't make it special enough to have made the cut for Kick. But I'm glad we have this version because it is a cool song.

Never Tear Us Apart (soul version) is kind a of cool look into the process of recording this track with an early arrangement that was only partly included in the final cut. I dig Kirk's sax improvs and it's definitely enjoyable enough but this version doesn't come close to topping the original.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    David Jakubowski likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

Need You Tonight (big bump mix)

Instantly the start of this suggests I am not going to like this. This incorporates just about all the things I dislike about remixes in the first minute and a half.
    It's sped up, it has the airless drum sound that is incorporated in a lot of these type of things. It has repetitive vocals edit, loops. It bears virtually no resemblance to the song.
    We get the first piece of actual vocal after about three minutes, but I am over it by then.
    That's really about all I have the patience to listen to.
    Probably good for a dance floor, but not something I would ever decide I wanted to listen to.

21. mark winstanley

Calling All Nations (kids on bridges mix)

This has some differences to the album version, but essentially I only vaguely liked the album version, so we aren't going anywhere different enough to change that much.

22. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I disagree with this track even being on this reissue. I object to its presence because it’s not a contemporary remix from the time frame the album was released.

And I don’t care for it much either.

23. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

This remix at least dates back to the original album release. It’s pretty straightforward, and is a decent mixup of the album version. It was meant for to be on one final single release from Kick, but I guess that single didn’t happen. The remixer is not obvious from the name “Kids On Bridges” but as far as I can tell it’s done by Nile Rodgers - producer of “Original Sin”. This one’s entertaining and on an “alt. playlist” of the album using remixes and Bsides I make sure to include this one.

24. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

The best thing about Need You Tonight's big bump mix & Calling All Nations' kids on bridges mix, is how some of the instruments & vocals are separated better and clearer than in the original mixes. But those are the only likeable qualities, since the bulk of these mixes are too poppy and mostly generic sounding...

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

"Pretty Vegas"

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Switch
    Released
    19 September 2005
    Genre Alternative rock
    Length 3:26
    Label Epic
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss J.D. Fortune Marty Casey Jordis Unga
    Producer(s) Guy Chambers

"Pretty Vegas" is by Australian rock band INXS. It was released in September 2005 as the lead single from their 11th studio album, Switch, and the first with new lead singer J.D. Fortune, winner of the Rock Star: INXS competition.

Australian maxi-single
    1. "Pretty Vegas" (album version) – 3:27
    2. "Pretty Vegas" (live) – 4:17
    Digital download
    1. "Pretty Vegas" – 3:26
    Weekly charts[edit]
    Chart (2005) Peak
    position
    Australia (ARIA)[5] 9
    Canada Hot AC Top 30 (Radio & Records)[6] 2
    Canada Rock Top 30 (Radio & Records)[7] 3
    New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[8] 7
    US Billboard Hot 100[9] 37
    US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)[10] 7

Year-end charts[edit]
    Chart (2006) Position
    US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)[11] 27
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Falling asleep at the wheel again baby
    You're drifting over the line (the line) yeah
    Your hands are tight but you're losing grip quickly
    Fix me, can you read the signs?

Thumbing your way to Vegas, dirty
    And dreaming of the other side
    Save your tears and laughter
    Because it doesn't matter what you find

It ain't pretty
    After the show
    It ain't pretty when the pretty leaves you
    With no place to go
    If you think you need it
    Here's the place to feed it
    But it ain't pretty

With everything that you do is wrong
    And you fell like you can barely survive yeah
    When those around you are crumbling downwards
    Buried in the sunset alive

And screaming like you're back from hell
    Save your dreams and occupations
    Cos' it doesn't matter what you sell

It ain't pretty
    After the show
    With no place to go
    If you think you want it
    Here's the place to get it
    But it ain't pretty

The party's over and the road is long
    The party's over and we're moving on
    The party's over and the road is long

So if you think you want it
    Then just come out and say it
    It aint pretty

Falling asleep at the wheel again baby
    You're drifting over the line (the line)
    You're hands are tight but you're losing grip quickly
    Fix me, can you read the signs

And dreaming like you're outta control
    Save your tears and laughter
    Because this is the ride
    And this is the show

It ain't pretty
    After the show
    With no place to go
    So if you think you want it
    Just come in and get it
    It ain't pretty

Songwriters: Andrew Farriss / Jason Bennison / Jordis Unga / Martin Casey
    Pretty Vegas lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

So this was a pretty well planned reintroduction to the band, September we get this intro single - October we get Live In Barker Hanger - November we get the Switch album.

Up til right now, I had never heard anything from Inxs phase 2 ....

The first thing that strikes me, is how startlingly similar JD sounds to Michael .... Like the guy studied his technique and delivery ... I'll be honest, that is going to be a distraction to me at this stage.

On first run through while writing that intro, I can say that the song comes across well, it is still very Inxs.
    I guess that JD Fortune is Jason Bennison going from the credits..... it's interesting that we have two outside writers to help Andrew write the song .....

Lyrically we seem to be looking at the use it up and throw it away nature of the entertainment industry, your appearance will sell lots of stuff, but when its gone you'll be dropped like a stone. It's a pretty solid lyric.

I can see why this did well on the big come back, this sounds like Inxs, JD is very similar in sound and delivery to Michael .... it is one of those situations where the general public get what they want.

This is a solid rocking track that delivers what the general public would have wanted.