Used modded Goldring GR 1.2 should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VaporCharlie, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaporCharlie

VaporCharlie Active Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I met this guy on holiday that has this place full of vintage HiFi equipment and he basically restores/exchange/sell for a living. Wish I could share some photos, really full of old glories.

He had like 100 TTs to offer and showed me his Goldring GR 1.2 used to listen to around 100 records but really mint by looking at it.

He replaced the RB250 arm with an RB300, added a Grado Red as cartridge and a Funk Firm red platter.

Want to sell it for 300€ and claims this is basically a good deal given the price of Grado Red and RB300 alone.

What should I do? I didn't know this TT...all I could find are basically some good reviews and the fact this is a P2 clone.

I really wanted to buy my first TT brand new, going Project Debut Carbon Evo or Rega P2/P3.

(Rest of my system is Sansui AU-D7 and Yamaha 650 speakers I both inherited).

Thanks in advance!

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Does it hum? I'm guessing it doesn't have a Rega motor, so it probably doesn't. If it does, it probably hums. This can be fixed or at least mitigated with a Hagerman Audio Humbucker. I own a Humbucker, it claims to reduce hum by 15dB. The claims are valid. I've had a Rega Platinum on my P3-2000 and it always hummed in the runout. The hum disappeared after installing the humbucker.

Humbucker

3. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Does this not answer your own question for you?

4. VaporCharlie

Well, no, because this is still similar to a Rega and seems a pretty good deal. Was asking what you people think about it.

5. VaporCharlie

I will go to listen to it later this day and check, thanks for the link!

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A 15 year old discontinued deck with the wrong arm and platter, (the original MDF platter was horrible), that's only played 100 records:confused: and can be had for approximately twice what it cost when new, my advice is walk away.

VaporCharlie and MGW like this.
  7. VaporCharlie

So bad deal? You mean when new it costed half this price? Thanks a lot for the kind help by the way.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm relying on my memory, but I think it was between £150 and £200 when new, also the one I had pass through my hands had a RB-251 arm with the 3 point mounting so if the one you are being offered only had a RB-250 originally it was an early example which means it is likely at least 15 years old and therefore how can the seller claim it's only played 100 records, definite BS, I'm not saying it's not an okay deck for 300 Euros especially with a platter upgrade, assuming the new platter is the correct height, but personally I'd be dubious about any claims the seller makes. My advice, have a listen if you genuinely like it offer him 200 Euros and he will likely sell it for 250 as I imagine he paid under 100. As the RB-300 has a high value on it's own I recommend you pay close attention to it's condition, not just visually, but also how it handles, changing the arm is another red flag for me, as a first time buyer I wouldn't want the seller to take advantage of your lack of knowledge, also try and demo a Debut Carbon and P3 before you hear the Goldring so you have something to measure it against even in a different system.

VaporCharlie likes this.
  9. VaporCharlie

Thanks Dubmart, much appreciated.
    I guess the 100 records is true because this TT was one of his personals and he has a whole living room full of them, no joke.

As for inspecting RB "how it handles", I don't know. I even asked if the Grado was correctly set to have the correct vertical and angle and all, he doesn't remember.

This would be a fine TT to thinker around and testing I guess, but yeah as someone who is procastinating buying a TT to find the perfect one that doesn't ruin records and all, I guess this is too much trouble for me...I also have no means to test a P3 and Project here. I'm basically on Holiday 4 hours from Home and so yeah, I feel this is done with too much hurry. No good.

It's just that I'm waiting years now to make my own system and so sometimes, like this, I get the hype of finally settling to listen to my records (years back I had a cheap 90s all in one and no way that thing will touch my records again).

Dubmart likes this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Buying used can be good, but buying new may be the best course for you and also close to home so you have support if needed, I can understand how tempting it is, but better to be patient and get everything right first time, also when you have the opportunity demo a Pro-ject, Rega and perhaps something more expensive, the correct choice is going to be whichever sounds best to you, regardless of anything written online.:righton:

VaporCharlie likes this.
  11. VaporCharlie

Much appreciated Dubmart. I still think I will go Project Debut EVO. But I will ask my local shop to try both Rega and Project... luckily the owner is a partner/distribution of both brands.

I will keep the old and used thing for buying speakers and amps. I fear less doing so. They do not directly damage records like a wrong TT could do.

In fact, as said, my TT will be initially paired with both vintage amp and speakers. Idk if they will suit a Rega or a Project but I guess I'm overthinking.

12. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Take your time. Don't rush yourself, especially if you're on holiday. Buy what you planned for - no impulse purchasing.

13. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Long discontinued, based on a Rega, probably parts made by Rega.
    If your comfortable with the price, the RB 300 + Achromat is well worth some dosh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.