Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

No.
    I just sent a 300plus-page book to the printer...

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Plus people rarely read the text of on-line publications, even when they try.

Mychael likes this.
  3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Haven't seen that one before, looks nice, couple of Melba Montgomery duets too, easily his best singing partner, two terrific voices!

4. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

George Jones – Why Baby Why (2017, Gatefold, Vinyl) .

Is this the one?

Svein Arne likes this.
  5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

baptistbusman likes this.
  6. Svein Arne

7. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I know that R&B isn’t my main interest, but I think I’m going to pre order this just to get the sweet price.

To the US they will take off around $50 VAT and shipping will be around $50 so $225 is basically the out the door price. And it says they are only pressing 1500 copies, so it will be a good investment.

8. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally found Bob King's Songs That Tell a Story for a doable price. Three complete albums on one CD, two solo and one with full band. His amiable voice made him well-suited to folky material. It's nice to have some true-blue 100% Canadian-made classic country, rather than the usual case of Canadian vocalists trucking down to Nashville.
    Quick self-correction, his complete Sun/Phillips International recordings have been compiled along with some of his mid-60's Jewel sides on this Charly CD: Frank Frost - Jelly Roll King

10. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Just started work on a new Bear Family box set. According to the author, »slightly bigger than the Sun Blues box«...:wave:

11. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

I'm not curious at all but can you tell something more?:shh:

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Mychael and jvs52 like this.
  13. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I just had my first experience buying a Bear Family box set through Amazon. I've bought Bear boxes for years, but had never gotten one from Amazon. In the past, I'd read horror stories of the atrocious packaging, so I was somewhat concerned since I hate dings and imperfections on items that I buy brand new. I bought the Buck Owens Act Naturally set, and it arrived in 2 days. It was in 2 boxes, and the inner box had a corrugated container that looked as if it were made just for box sets. It's in perfect condition. I still haven't opened the actual cd set, but cosmetically, it's perfect.

Now, if I could run across some of those occasional great deals, I'd not be hesitant to make additional purchases. Unfortunately, I don't seem to see the deals pop up like I did a few years ago.

GodBlessTinyTim and Reader like this.
  14. GodBlessTinyTim

The comparison makes me wonder if it's another Sun-related set, but I can't think of many more 10+ CD Sun projects. Perhaps another label like Chess? Hmm...

MerseyBeatle and RSteven like this.
  15. Svein Arne

16. Svein Arne

Must be the box about this record campany Rich-R-Tone record company.
    Molly And Tenbrook - YouTube

17. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Chess has been done before, how about Excello?

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  18. Svein Arne

SUN recods in the 60s.Stereo recordings lots of newly discovered records.In the early 60s SUN records also had a record studio in Nashville.Maybe it was bought by Monument records?o_O

19. Svein Arne

See here the SUN sessions in the 60s:1960s Sun Schedule - www.706unionavenue.nl

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  20. Svein Arne

21. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I bought the Bear Family Charlie Rich boxset a few weeks back off Amazon, only because it was $50. Odd deal that popped up and lasted maybe one day or something.

I will say that, that boxset is very hard to follow why the tracks are listed in the order they are. Regardless, a good set and interesting articles on him.

Surprised there has never been a follow up set on him, although I imagine the cross-licensing may be a pain. Ace did a couple nice discs on him a few years back. The Koch discs from 1994 are ok quality.

22. Svein Arne

Th 2 cd sets with Charlie Rich could not be made other way then they are.Both are complete recordings for different recordlabels.Smash recordings complete and RCA recordings complete.
    Charlie Rich - Too Many Teardrops - The Complete Groove & RCA Recordings - Ace Records

RSteven and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

Disc one is released material while the other two are originally unreleased, but beyond that the order does seem pretty random. As Svein said, Ace has compiled his complete RCA/Groove and Smash output. There is a CD with his complete Hi recordings, but it's out of print and expensive: Charlie Rich – The Complete Hi Recordings Of Charlie Rich (2000, CD) . This near-complete set from a few years earlier is much cheaper: Charlie Rich – Charlie Rich Sings The Songs Of Hank Williams Plus The R&B Sessions (1994, CD) . As for his 70's Epic hits, Bear almost never deals in that type of countrypolitan fare.

24. Svein Arne

Charlie Rich on The Jimmy Dean Show - YouTube
    Charlie Rich - Mohair Sam - YouTube

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  25. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting those. Charlie's version of RIVER STAY AWAY FROM MY DOOR is my favorite song by anyone. This live performance confirms what a cool cat that he truly was. He was a jazz/blues guy at heart, and it's a travesty that many only know him for his Billy Sherrill produced countrypolitan output.

The Killer, baptistbusman and RSteven like this.