Objectively, what do you think is the best album of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lettheflamesbegin, Jun 10, 2021.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Johnny is a very tasteful, sombre singer and his voice goes well together with Trane. I imagine a 50s urban cocktail bar everyone I hear it, and it's a nice feeling.

sekaer and Kiss73 like this.
  2. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Objectively. To be the best it has to be well recorded and mastered. It has to be that artists best work. It has to connect with a large number of listeners. It has to be an album that has stood the test of time and connected with more than the generation who bought it at release.
    My own favourite is Born to Run, I love every track and think the song writing is sublime. I am not sure that the production allows it to be at an objective pinnacle.
    DSOTM is a great shout but it’s a guys album my wife and daughter find it boring.
    Various other albums are just about perfect imo. Blue, Tapestry, Revolver, What’s Going on and others have been loved by numerous generations of listeners.
    I will give my vote to Rumours, Polished to perfection, various songwriters and vocalists, super catchy pop songs, massive at the time and has stood the test of time. I’ve tried to be objective and I cannot think of another album more worthy on my criteria.

3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I maybe need to give it another shot. When I'm in the mood for Coltrane there are so many other goodies I would go to first.

DTK likes this.
  4. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Sounds like my Dad

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's not my go to Trane album either but it's perfect for an evening cocktail. The tune Lush Life, especially. And My One And Only Love.

Philo likes this.
  6. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Never Mind The Bollocks.

twicks and Duncan Day like this.
  7. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Nice enough, but “Objectively the best album of all time”? :shrug:

RickH likes this.
  8. George the Cat

George the Cat Forum Resident

You reach a certain age a realise there is no such thing.
    I mean how can you pick just one?
    I do not like doing favourites lists as my tastes change depending on my mood, even the time of year.
    Curious to know if compiling lists is a male thing, I’m betting women don’t compile favourite/best/whatever lists nearly as much.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  9. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Objectively, it's Knockers Up by Rusty Warren. Anyone who doesn't agree obviously never heard it.

starduster likes this.
  10. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Achtung Baby

Mainstream yet alternative.
    Diverse melting pot of Rock / Pop influences.
    Great lyrics.
    Fun , Sexy , Dark , Melancholy.

Some giddier U2 fans think U2 reinvented the wheel with this album. Obviously, they didn’t. Other albums released in 1991 include Loveless , Screamadelica, Nevermind & Blue Lines. These albums were far more revolutionary, but Achtung Baby has something for everyone.

U2 are probably the most divisive musical act ever, but this album is unimpeachable.

cwd and slashdot87 like this.
  11. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

My wife is good at to compiling "to do" lists (for me). Although neither of us enjoy it all that much.

:hide:

More seriously, I suspect you may well be right, and if you forgive the stereotype, the distinction perhaps is that {a certain type of} male focuses on useless but enjoyable lists ...

[Note - intended as tongue in cheek and not casual sexism]

Terrapin Station likes this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

An artist at his very peak, the songs are all brilliant and the playing and arrangements beautiful. Plus it all flows together like one great big suite. 99% of albums pale in comparison.

The suite thing gives it more gravitas. I don't automatically think an album has to have this to be the best, I mean London Calling is all over the place but is perfect as well, but at the very highest level it just tips the balance.

Plus it has something to say and is important from a historical cultural point of view. Not that that's a deal breaker but if it's still relevant after 40 years it has to be pretty special.

ARod, cwd, Adam9 and 5 others like this.
  13. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

Appeals to objectivity in art are redundant: all perceived standards come out of specific societal conditions. Subjectivity forever.

CaptainFeedback1, Mr. Bewlay and ARK like this.
  14. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Agree 100%, albeit you CAN (and do) have "critical consensus" a.k.a. the canon in literature (and indeed in popular music ... from which pretty much most of the suggestions here are from ...)

15. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

...or The Yes Album - not as perfect, not as polished (which is good), but my go to Yes album these days.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  16. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

In my top 5 along with Tommy & The James Gang Rides Again.

Svetonio likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I love What's Going On, I listen to it every year when I put up my Christmas tree. But there are some padded / filler sections on it on side two.

RickH likes this.
  18. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe

Hoover Factory likes this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Sticky Fingers

canadian73, Echoes Myron and twicks like this.
  20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My vote as well.

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i pick your bookends

donstemple likes this.
  22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

(in a jeff foxworthy voice):

if you're watching a dumpster fire while eating popcorn....YOU MIGHT JUST BE AN ARSONIST!

troggy likes this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I came here to post this. It has everything: visceral rock, tender ballads, trad blues, gutbucket soul, dark drug tunes...every song a total jam.

Chris Schoen and Tommy Jay like this.
  24. William Gladstone

William Gladstone I was a teenage daydreamer.

The qualifications for such a question are too objective, because things like albums sales don't necessarily mean it's good, just popular (though lots of tops sellers are definitely fantastic). So, for me, I'm going to provide my favorite album of all time, and even though countless others may be performed or produced or written better, they don't hit me on the same personal level. So, without further ado, I'm saying REM's debut Murmur. While influences can certainly be heard here and there, there's no other album (to my knowledge) that sounds exactly like this by them or anyone else, and I believe that while it was purposefully made to sound unique in a time when music was definitely in flux and lots of artists were going for that, it (mostly) transcends its time and therefore becomes timeless.

[​IMG]

25. Head Gardener

Head Gardener Forum Resident