Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Thanks for the background information, @FredV

Sugar Sugar

This is OK, but somehow this interesting and original cover version misses the mark for me. Sugar Sugar is possibly the classical bubblegum song, and somehow this version loses some of what I find most engaging in the original.

Micky sings it really well, without over-doing it. The ad-libs are funny, mentioning fructose etc.

Nothing wrong with it. Just that as I listen to it I want to listen to it on the original.

3.6/5

That might seem high given what I wrote, but the original scores much higher in my estimation.

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The original sung by Ron Dante. It's a fun Pop song, and there's nothing wrong with that.

JJR and HitAndRun like this.
  3. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

We have heard some great remakes that have been significantly different and have really caught my ear. This one, I feel like HitAndRun, it misses a bit for me. I admit as well that I like the song Sugar, Sugar. I do find it unique, well done and interesting so a 3 it will be.

RobRoyF and HitAndRun like this.
  4. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Sugar Sugar - 2.5/5
    I don't really like this cover that much. At least as a cover, it is much different. Now the original Sugar Sugar is still quite a fun song and I have always enjoyed it.

I always thought it might have been a good song for Davy to sing, as I recall the Kirchner comment from many years ago.

5. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Sugar sugar 2.5/5

the .5 is for micky and the different approach.

But the end result for me personally is a two.

The original Sugar sugar only works for me with the original production in the era it was released.

Now, jingle jangle… That’s one I’d like to hear covered

6. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Sugar Sugar is 1/5

Was waiting to review the album as a whole but had to drop in on this one

It’s just an awful choice and production on so many levels.

Mainly that even though he must have known otherwise by that time, Micky still perpetuated the urban legend that the Monkees were supposed to do this one.

It it was just a meant as a joke or something to help market the album, I’d like to think that Micky is capable of something more clever.

Where was Chip Douglas this time to save Micky from making this mistake? ;)

On a related note, Sugar Man is actually not a bad bit of bubblegum and would have worked on Changes. I like it better than any version of Sugar Sugar

7. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This is pretty terrible. Mick should have been reined in a bit here

2/5

Guy Smiley, D-rock, HitAndRun and 2 others like this.
  8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

“Sugar Sugar” — 3/5

I don’t hate this. Another one that seemed like a disaster on paper, but somehow manages to work.

HitAndRun likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Sugar, Sugar"- a low 3/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Sugar Sugar:

1-1
    2-3
    3-4
    4-2
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  11. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Do Not Ask for Love:

A really nice arrangement and kudos to Micky for uncomplainingly recording all of the vocals on the album. There are probably some other solo recordings that we've discussed in this thread that sound like the Monkee contribution took about 5 minutes to record, but Micky's dedication to this project shows through in the quality.

Another worthwhile update and 3.5/5.

12. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Do Not Ask for Love - 3.5/5
    This is a lovely a capella version - this is one of my favorite Monkees songs written by Michael Martin Murphey and Micky does not disappoint. Micky's vocals on this are quite enjoyable.

I still prefer the 60s versions of either Davy or Micky, but this arrangement is quite nice.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  13. super sally

This version of Do not ask for live gets a 4/5 from me

I saw a short clip on social media a few years ago at one of those autograph signing conventions where Peter and Micky broke into singing this song together for a minute or so… Wish I could find it again

pablo fanques, HitAndRun and The MEZ like this.
  14. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

When I first heard this song on Missing Links 2 in 1990, I was completely blown away. Studying the liner notes, learned that Nesmith produced this in July of 1966. Thought how could something like this be left unreleased until 1990. A few years later, I bought a tape of rarities and heard all of 33 1/3 for the first time and heard it again. This is not in the originals class for me but I agree that Micky put maximum effort into this release and it does make a difference. Lush vocals are the key to this tune and a 4.

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Do Not Ask for Love - An excellent a cappella rendition by Micky. You really have to admire his talents as a vocalist. 5/5.

16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

“Do Not Ask For Love” — 3/5

Excellent a capella vocals from Micky — however this version doesn’t quite go all the way for me. Virtually any of the ‘60s Monkees recordings of this is much better, IMO. My favorite is the 33 and 1/3 version. This one’s still not bad, but it’s part of a stretch on the back half of this album that’s a bit of a lull compared with the rest.

HitAndRun and jeremylr like this.
  17. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Do Not Ask For Love

I agree completely with Turk's comment that on some tracks we've heard the Monkee's participation may have taken all of five minutes.

This is a nice arrangement of a nice song, performed very well by Micky. Adding something different to the album works well I believe.

4.3/5

RobRoyF, pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Do Not Ask For Love 4/5

HitAndRun, pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Love it - it's like a solo M.D. "Riu Chiu".

5/5

20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Do Not Ask for Love"- 4/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  21. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Do Not Ask for Love:

1-0
    2-0
    3-4
    4-5
    5-2

HitAndRun likes this.
  22. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Oops, 30 seconds late...

Do Not Ask For Love - 3/5

HitAndRun likes this.
  23. Turk Thrust

Today's song is I'm a Believer:

One of the better remakes of a Monkees hit that we've discussed in this thread. Micky's vocal sounds pretty effortless, as you would expect, and the country arrangement is ok.

It's interesting that, according to producer David Harris, the idea for this song was one of the main sparks that led to the album.

3.5/5.

24. super sally

Unexpectedly… This is a nice to have version. 3.5/5.

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I’m A Believer Remake - I love the Rockabilly groove on this version. It begs the question what if Buddy Holly or Eddie Cochran had recorded the song. A very fun take. 5/5.