One Format Masquerading as Another

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Summer of Malcontent, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Oh tell it to Gomorrah...

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Wasn't there a soul box on Rhino that looked like a rack of 8 tracks?

c-eling and DISKOJOE like this.
  3. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

The 18-CD Gainsbourg... Forever boxset (2001) has a five track CD of Serge Gainsbourg's 1958 demos that looks like a magnetic tape in its own case (the disc is partially transparent).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2003 reissue of the boxset omits this little bonus CD.

Rooster_Ties, jackfruits and Mylene like this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

There's a whole series of DVDs that are packaged to look like VHS videos

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Turns out this is a complicated thing. I've just been reading the George Harrison thread about the new box set, and one of the main complaints is that the CD/BR set is... gosh... in a CD sized box. They seem to want a much larger box instead.

I offer this set, from 2013, as an abberation in my collection:

[​IMG]

This ships in a 12" Vinyl sleeve, with the 5 CD's sitting in card slots. And it's not even a gatefold sleeve! As you've stated, it's really unwieldy, and a big swing and miss for me.

When it comes to standard CD's, I must admit, the pinnacle for me are the Japanese Mini-LP's. They're wonderful, and I really enjoy them. Since we're talking the music business here, when they shifted away from Jewelcases and went to digipac's, they clearly decided not to follow a uniform route, and instead we get a mish-mash of form and factor, some good and some bad. If only they'd decided to go the full Japanese Mini LP route..... That said, I got a CD of Justin Townes Earle's "The Saint of Lost Causes" today, and that ships in a nice Japanese Mini LP package (it's not an import version, just the standard one).

Michael likes this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Man, I wish you hadn't posted that. Look at beautiful it is! I want!!!

MrSka57 likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

A label called Club Dial reissued Serge Gainsbourg 10" albums as CDs in 10" replica sleeves.

8. Michael

yes, and another mishap is the Jethro Tull Aqualung Box with the vinyl and the CDs inserted in to the LP cover of the album! Damn it! literally...just keep them apart LP size packaging with Vinyl and CD size with CDs...Oh WOW! so simple! everyone is happy and we move on to the next problem release...I have to laugh though...they want the ATMP LPs in LP size packaging (as expected) and the CDs in LP size packaging??? HUH?...

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Michael

yes, pointless... but are they DVD size packaging?

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Mill Creek puts out a lot of this stuff, and even Blu-Rays that are packaged to look like VHS videos

Mylene likes this.
  11. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I have this, along w/the Beg, Scream & Shout 60s Soul Box set.

Mylene likes this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, what should drop through the letterbox but a copy of MarianneFaithful's "She Walks in Beauty". I guess I ordered the Deluxe Edition (so says the sticker).

Since CD in a hardback book of 20 pages or so. Each page (or two facing pages) has a painting (very nice) along with the respective poem. Not sure of the form factor, it's a little smaller than a 7" single. I'd say, it's a 6" single.

13. Elvis Presley's Follow That Dream label has been selling CDs in 7" tri-fold sleeves for about 15 years now, which emulate the old 7" vinyl single or EP picture sleeves.

14. The problem with the GH ATMP box being discussed is not simply the size of the package but the cost of it when considering how skimpy it is and how little extra content (if any) there is accordingly ie. books etc

I don't think most people would care it's only CD sized if it had a book with it and was half the price!

15. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Love both of those sets, and I love the fact that they border on "pop art" pieces! They are nice enough to be displayed.

It's OK that they don't fit in my standard government-issued CD bookshelves authorized by the American Psychiatric Association to keep my fun-destroying anal-retentive tendencies in check... :p

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm not a Beatles, or associated guy. But I do feel your pain. You see, I am Black Sabbath fan, and the current series of "Deluxe Editions" are slapdash efforts at in incredible price in the UK - their home. I've not bought any of them due to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.