George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The thing of it is that the young people today have no point of reference like we older people do. The sound of the original mixes are firmly cemented in our brains. I suggest that most non-music junkies like us even pay any attention to mix differences unless they are drastic house mixes or something, so it's easier to fool them. Look at Giles Martin: he really wasn't too familiar with the mono mixes, and even with the stereo mixes, he had no emotional or nostalgic attachment to them.

True. I'm a boomer when I want to be, and a millennial when I want. :)

2. Thanks! I'm confused though. It said in the announcement that the Uber set was exclusive to George Harrison's website. More lies?

3. Grant

I think it's more that we older people are disappointed that the younger generations won't experience the music and sound the way it was meant to be presented, or the way it actually was presented. That magic will be missing.

Tord, Musicisthebest, Floater and 2 others like this.
  4. Grant

It's still early, so there will be more confusion, and a period of adjustment. That's probably why this forum was asked that we don't upload images until everything was set in stone. For all we know, they may still change some things. As far as i'm concerned, nothing is final until it's released to the public.

stevef, Peter_R and SteveM like this.
  5. You shouldn't worry. Most of them are far too busy on their phones to even know, let alone care about most of the music which existed before last week.

stevef, Floater, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  6. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

Does anyone know which tracks from Early Takes, Vol. 1 will be on this new set?

7. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

I can completely relate to this. I first really got into the Beatles through the 87 cds which were the only things available to me at the time. Revolver was obviously such an amazing album but I was always terribly disappointed with how weak the stereo mixes sounded. When I finally got a mono LP years later, it was like a revelation! The same thing happened with Are You Experienced. It loses so much power from having the drums hard-panned to one channel. Unfortunately, the inferior stereo mixes are still the default releases for these albums.

The Quiet One and Pianoman99 like this.
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

So do we now have it on good authority that the 5-cd SDE is packaged in a 7 x 7 in. box (actually a slipcase)? That's certainly an improvement on a 5 x 5 in. cd-sized box. But it does raise the question of how the cd's, shown in paper sleeves, are housed in a 7 x 7 in. box. A case of further Harrison ingenuity? The mystery deepens.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

4 tracks are duplicated from EARLY TAKES Vol. 1:

All Things Must Pass
    Awaiting on You All
    My Sweet Lord
    Run of the Mill

The timings for the tracks differ from a few seconds to more than 10 seconds. So the new set may have edited out any false starts/chatter and/or did some other, very slight editing. Thus, the versions on the new set and those on Early Takes may not match up perfectly.

crossroads69, Aoide and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. Grant

Which makes one wonder why these record executives, producers, and engineers keep thinking they are going to gain new customers with remixes (almost) no one ever asked for.

11. Arnold Grove

They probably just sit in a recessed cardboard "window".

But until someone actually gets all of the sets in their hands, or unless the George estate releases a video showing an unboxing, there is a lot of guesswork with regard to the actual packaging involved.

12. Who said anything about "new customers"? I wouldn't kid yourself. These sets are for us who have them already

13. After 40 years of listening to the same copy of ATMP, I'm actually excited about new mixes. I felt the same way about the Beatles 50th releases. The original mixes won't get lost, there are literally millions of copies of them out there the world over. Used record stores will be selling them for generations.

14. Grant

I'm not kidding myself. These record people always use that same tired excuse for remixing. Actually, it's to keep themselves in a job!

The Quiet One, SteveM and a customer like this.
  15. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I get your point. But then it ought to cost half the price of the one we see here.

Tord, stevef, babyblue and 1 other person like this.
  16. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Run of the Mill (2020 Mix), scores DR7
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this is a case like the last two Beatles remixes where the Blu-ray and vinyl ditch the limiting, but I can't say the mix choices are my favorite regardless..

SRC likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Yes. If the 3-CD set can be sold for $30, then a 5-CD/1 Bluray set should certainly be only 2 or 2.5 times that amount ---say $75-80. Since the 5-CD version does have a 56-page scrapbook and a poster, then that would be more understandable. The problem is the $150 price tag.

babyblue, musicfan37, Tord and 7 others like this.
  18. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I'm actually now beginning to feel a nostalgic fondness for this rendition of the album. Anyone else?

[​IMG]

19. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

:rolleyes: I hope this was sarcastic.

20. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

But this is part of the new marketing strategies. Quite disgusting if you ask me.

People will say "you don't have to buy it". Correct, but I don't like that the average working man cannot afford to buy the demos. Would George have approved this? Living in the material world....

BlueJay and Lewisboogie like this.
  21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

My point was it should have been more inline with the Joni Mitchell set @ £65 - heck even up to £75 seems fair.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

After thinking about it overnight, I canceled my Amazon pre-orders of the 5 CD/Blu Ray box and the 3 LP set. Because I’m going to vote with my dollars against current trends in super deluxe reissues. As with the recent Tom Petty Wildflowers set, the jump in price from the basic CD set to the “deluxe” set with all of the bonus/outtake material is just too high. Unlike the Lennon/Plastic Ono Band box, which features a really beautiful hardback book, the “book” in the 5 CD/Blu Ray box here appears to be skimpy.

I’m still interested in the demos and outtakes, but am going to wait to hear them on Spotify before committing to buy them on physical media. I’m still interested in the remix, but am going to wait to hear the full album remix on Spotify before committing to buy it on physical media. I’m just not super impressed by the teases of the remixed main album we’ve heard so far, I don’t the remix here is going to be as good as the White Album remix or the Lennon solo album remixes. Once I’ve heard the full album remix, maybe I’ll order the 3 LP remix album if I like it. But the 2017 LP reissue of the original mix is so good that that will probably continue to be my go-to way to listen to this album.

23. I've never had a problem with it, in the first place.

Mister Charlie and superstar19 like this.
  24. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

A friend of mine who also ordered the Uber box said she's going to put a glass top on it and use it as a coffee table. Not a bad idea, actually.

mrjinks, MrSka57 and supermd like this.
  25. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Guns and Roses aren't the Beatles.
    Like the McCartney 71-73 box and the Woodstock Back to the Garden crate if you can swing the price and are on the fence I'd order it ASAP.