“I can’t believe I once thought that...”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Who among us didn't think the Grateful Dead were scary when we were kids? I guess people who were never kids during the Dead's existence.

Anyway, first time I saw the Touch of Grey video with my mom, about 5 years old or so, some random weekend morning on MTV, I was freaked out and wondered why my deadhead cousins liked this weird scary skeleton band.

And the wookie invasion for Hershey 85 didn't reassure me. I remember them all over Hershey Park Drive... and route 39 for that matter.

ARK and Ginger Ale like this.
  2. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

I can hear it.

ibanez_ax and Suncola like this.
  3. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

It was Madonna singing backing vocals on Feargal Sharkey's 'A Good Heart'. Was Boy George!

4. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

This one mystifies me, not just because even in pre-video days it sounded like a woman to me, but she’s singing “I’m your Venus”, fer criminy sake.

Now if anyone thinks the “Jackie Blue” singer was a woman, I’m on board with that!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  5. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I still know people who believe he was.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

I am very curious to know whether you are expressing wonderment that someone in a small American town would have been listening to metal bands in the 1980s.

ARK likes this.
  7. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Did Roy have glaucoma as well?
    Answer from Wiki: Shyness and stage fright. With that golden bullhorn voice, who knew?
    Bono has glaucoma.

8. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

When I was young, I thought life in the times of black and white photography and movies was actually black and white.
    I asked my mother in the 70s when "color happened"...she mentioned the first color TV set they bought in the 1960s...and...voila! For a little while longer, I assumed life on Earth was without color until the 60s.
    In many ways...I was correct.

9. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

I thought the exact same thing: the result of watching Abbott & Costello movies as a kid.

ARK and Vinyl Socks like this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

So did Calvin.

[​IMG]

11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

We all thought that.
    :hide:
    (Just kidding :)).

12. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I can't think of any major misconceptions I had relating to music. I do remember being confused whether The Police were British or American. They were kind of both although mostly English.

Bebstrel likes this.
  13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

In grade school, I just figured that it was given that any music sold in stores was basically going to be of the same standard of excellence in musical quality and appeal from artist to artist and song to song, or it wouldn’t be available for sale. (Like gasoline or something.)

That was before I started buying music…

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Jarleboy, Bebstrel and musicfan37 like this.
  14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

In grade school (again) I used to think that ‘It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll’ was the best Rolling Stones song thus far.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  15. Someone In A Tree

Someone In A Tree Crow-flowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples

...all-digital recordings were the absolute best.

When I first started buying CDs, I viewed an "A" in what "should be" a DDD chain as inferior. Why would they record or mix it in analog when the miracle of digital was available?!?

Jarleboy, PhoffiFozz, ARK and 2 others like this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

In my opinion, ABBA started out a bit light but became more and more serious as their progressed. Just the album covers give an indication of this. The early album covers were bright and sunny, but by the last album (The Visitors) the cover was extremely dark with the four members as separated as possible while still remain in the picture. It reflected the songs contained within the album, with a song like "The Visitors" displaying extreme paranoia and fear (understandable considering the song's subject matter).

I think that most of the songs in their last two albums were far from being bland. As an example, to me "The Winner Takes It All" is a heartbreaker of a song and their masterpiece.

17. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

One possible reason is that the original recordings are analog is that they were recorded at a time when digital recording wasn't available. I could be wrong, but I think that just about every recording done before 1980 would be an analog recording (hopefully from the original master tapes). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

18. chaz bragman

chaz bragman Forum Resident

Honestly, if you're not English, why would you think it's pronounced any other way? Sorry but, hey, Robert Plant, this is annoying. Give one of your most radio-friendly songs an unpronounceable title based on an obscure English joke and then make fun of Americans for saying it phonetically?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"Obscure English joke" or not, I find it hard to imagine how any English speaker, even American English, could fail to get the double meaning in the title, given the songs reggae beat.

20. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Took me decades and reading it online to understand it.

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I guess the other thing that puzzles me is: Didn't you ever hear it announced on the radio? Assuming the announcer got the pronunciation right, and I would think they would, that should have explained the title.

22. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I can't tell you how much I wish I didn't!

MGSeveral likes this.
  23. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

In the early '70s, a friend of mine (in good faith) convinced me that Jerry Lee Lewis and Jerry Lewis were the same man, and that I was stupid for not realising this straight away.

john lennonist likes this.
  24. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

When I was like seven or eight surf and hot rod music was popular and I thought all of it (except for a couple of instrumentals like "Pipeline" or "Wipe-Out") was done by the Beach Boys because all the songs had the same type falsetto vocals in them. Only later was I surprised to learn some of what I thought were Beach Boy songs were in fact done by people like Jan and Dean, the Rip Chords, Hondells etc. :magoo:

25. chaz bragman

chaz bragman Forum Resident

Nope, not once. If I had heard one deejay in the NYC area pronounce it correctly in the 70s & 80s it wouldn't have taken me twenty-five years to get it. I guess I'm just one of Peter Grant's thick Americans, it just never would have occurred to me that "D'Yer" means "did you."

Suncola, ARK and MJConroy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.