UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Curve - Clipped EP on 12" for £1

I had this back in 1991 when it came out and know I loved it. I can't remember anything thing at all about what it went like. I haven't played it yet.

2. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

You sound just like my mum! :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  3. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

ooh, Curve.
    that's a cracking ep.
    whenever i come across anything by them on cd in a charity i feel like jumping and hollering with joy.
    such a brilliantly visceral sound.

MC Rag and Man at C&A like this.
  4. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

this to the power of many tens.

hence when i set up ireallylovemusic over 20 years ago i wrote a little 'mission statement' about why i had set the site up, (was a thing back then), that said the following :

"
    over the years i have scoured the second hand racks and built up a substantial collection of odds and sods. amongst the collection is a variety of styles the likes of which amazes even me. i refuse to pay the extortionate prices that the high street insist on charging and whole-heartedly recommend the little hidden away back street shops. personally i would prefer to spend £15 on 6-7 cd's of all sorts of stuff as opposed to the latest major-label hype. amongst the collection i have recently come to realise that many of the releases are absolute classic albums which don’t deserve to get forgotten.
    "

and i think its fair to say given my posts in this thread, very little has changed for me in such regards.

LivingForever, BeSteVenn and AveryKG like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I remember and loved Coast Is Clear, Fait Accompli and Missing Link. I also remember being disappointed in the album though it probably sounds great now! Looking forward to playing this because it will come back to me almost immediately.

mark e likes this.
  6. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Today's foraging.

[​IMG]

Already had the Herbie Hancock one on (50p), and it's excellent.

7. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

I hadn't realised Herbie Hancock did the soundtrack to Death Wish, which reminds me I've been meaning to get a copy of Jimmy Page's soundtrack to Death Wish II for ages. I'd always thought it was quite rare (well, the CD is) but just had look at Discogs, and the 1st UK pressing has 46 copies for sale.

Rossman and minibreakfast like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

For the last few days I've been in two minds as to whether to go to RSD, I sold some records to a local shop so I'd have some cash, but didn't decide to go until this morning, I arrived just after 9am and found 200 people ahead of me, both my brother and I wanted the Prince LP, but by the time he'd finished work there were another 100+ people in the queue, fortunately the nice person in front of me had already said they'd grab me an extra Prince, so job done my brother decided to head for the Gloucester Road. We were still queuing when he returned, but luckily managed to get him a Prince LP, he then showed me these which came from a charity shop 5 minutes from my house, they just been put out at £1.50 each, but the person on the till thought that was expensive so charged him £1 each.:laugh: I think standing in a queue for four hours may not have been the best plan, at least someone phoned me to say he was bringing some records to the boot sale tomorrow.

[​IMG]

9. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Went up to Scotland today, to Langholm, eight miles north of the border. In the Eskdale Community Shop CDs were 50p each or 3 for £1. I came away with a few US releases.

The Revelers, self-released CD, with four autographs on the inside cover. Described by Discogs as "Cajun/swamp pop band from Lafayette, Louisiana"
    Oyster Band - Little Rock To Leipzig
    Sheila Chandra - Weaving My Ancestor's Voices
    Freddie King - 20 Hits Blues
    Eddie Money - Playing For Keeps
    Alan Reid and Bob van Sante - Under The Blue (Scottish folk)
    Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals - Live From Mars

Jagger69, Rossman, Dave S and 5 others like this.
  10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Eddie Money on CD is a rare find. The only one I've ever seen in the wild was a scuffed up Greatest Hits.

EG.

Jagger69 and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  11. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Popped into an Age Concern shop earlier and picked up a WG 1986 CD of the first Queen album for £3.00 :yikes:
    Wouldn’t normally pay that much for a CD from a charity shop unless it was something special but a) I really do like that album and b) I knew the mastering on it is much better than the 2011 reissue, so sod it :D.
    Anyway, £3.00 is nothing really is it ? Especially as I’ll be playing it a lot, not just sticking it on the shelf for years.

Saw the obligatory Dido vs Robbie crap

MC Rag, Rossman, Gavaxeman and 3 others like this.
  12. AlmostHeavenWV

I left another two of his CDs in the shop.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

After the RSD trawl, went in a neighbouring charity shop and got a Grandmaster Flash/Melle Mel 3cd anthology for £2

I wins.

14. minibreakfast

Boot sale CDs, £1 each:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid - digipak. Disc rather scuffed.
    New York Dolls - New York Dolls.
    Sparks - Extended: The 12 Inch Mixes 2CD.
    Daft Punk - Random Access Memories. I already have it on LP, but nice to have a CD copy too.

pantofis, MC Rag, garrincha and 7 others like this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Today was how boot sales used to be, I suspect it will be back to the usual slim pickings again next week, but for now you can enjoy my haul, I also picked up a Marantz CD5001 CD player which appears to be fully functional and a few more classic era soundtracks which I seem to have mislaid, sorry for all the pics, but I didn't have a chance to lay them out in situ as my driver was moaning.

CDs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

More records:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

19. minibreakfast

Crikey! All bases covered there Mart!

MC Rag and Rossman like this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It was a good day and I'm particularly pleased with the Morricones, you don't even find them in shops, I think I missed some more nice CDs, but I chose to concentrate on the vinyl, I also got a foreign picture sleeve 7" of the Melodians "Rivers Of Babylon" though I think that's hiding with the missing soundtracks.

21. AlmostHeavenWV

Hope you had enough bags with you to carry all that lot!

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I always have the bags, it's convincing people to help me carry things back to the car that's harder, though I did manage to, it's why it pays to make friends with your fellow booters, you never know when you may need a hand, or a loan.:laugh:

23. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

A good selection there - would like to find that Sparks one!

Rossman, minibreakfast and Dave S like this.
  24. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

So no finds today then. ;)

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I did see The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly soundtrack at my local YMCA. Almost bought it.

Rossman and Dubmart like this.