The ' Rocky ' Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

About a year ago I picked up a ' Rocky ' box set from my local thrift shop.
    It was a cheap looking thing containing the first five 'Rocky ' films. The price was right though, only $3.

I saw ' Rocky ' when it first came out at a crowded screening in Toronto. The audience was enthusiastic and into it. And so was I. It was a bit cheesy in spots perhaps but I enjoyed it.

' Rocky 2 ' was a huge disappointment. A regurgitation of the first one. Totally predictable and lacking the charm of the first outing.

And that was it for me and ' Rocky '.
    Never bothered to go see any of the next three sequels.

And then I bought this box set.

Over the last three nights I watched ' Rocky 3-4-5 '.
    Geez Louise, these are awful.

2. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Rocky 1 is great and yea, 2 just drags out the predictable and the inevitable. But it leads to 3 which is a really fun movie. How come you do not like it?

4 and 5 were a waste of time. No argument there.

daca, andrewskyDE and KeninDC like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Not a Mister T fan and the rest of the cast including ' Rocky ' start becoming caricatures.
    But it goes even further downhill from here...

4. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Disagree. Mr T was brand new and was perfect for a new, more menacing opponent. Great reshuffling of characters as Apollo and Duke become allies. They flavored it well with the match against Hulk Hogan. And there is the obvious, but meaningful theme of becoming soft after procuring the trappings and luxuries of fame.

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

“My prediction? PAIN!”

Dyland, intv7, shug4476 and 9 others like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I saw each one at the movies and none of them let me down...IMO, the franchise is gold and I still like to revisit them now and then....all still killer for me!

7. Michael

Rocky Balboa was as good as Rocky 1!

8. Michael

you neglected the 2nd best one...Rocky Balboa...

JosepZ, 905, Spastica and 2 others like this.
  9. Some are better than others, but I like them all.

10. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I can do without 5.

11. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I was restricting my commentary to 1 - 5. The subsequent ones are a different animal.

But since you brought it up, I have seen Rocky Balboa and Creed and found them both quite good. I have not seen Creed II.

Michael likes this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Didn't see it. I may give it a watch though , heard some favourable things about it.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

it's excellent...let me know if you like it...I love it.

905 and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  14. Michael

Creed ll is very good as well... loved both Creeds.

15. Michael

R5...the story royally sucks...the fighting needed to be in the ring... Rocky fights in the ring...street fighting; that's left to other movies. Not Rocky!...I was disappointed in Rocky 5, but I still love it.

16. I think Rocky is real cinema. Very good. Not Lawrence of Arabia good, but still pretty damn good.

Rocky II, I guess I'm a little kinder towards that one than most, as it really seems like a natural extension of the first one. I mean, it was fantastic that the hero didn't win the fight in the first film, though it remained a triumph of sorts. Plus, the 2nd installment still has a very decidedly '70s feel. And he wins!

Rocky III, now we're in the '80s and Mr. T was bad ass. If you were a kid, like I was, it had a message: don't be lazy. Someone will come in and take your stuff. It's also a winner because it had three fights. One with Hulk Hogan and two with Mr. T. Sure, the franchise fell into more of the popcorn genre, but the nostalgia holds up for me.

Rocky IV, is another product of its time. I was still in grade school, and as a student they instilled in us to study hard, because we were competing with the Chinese and the Ruskies. It's not very well made, though, but the story was there, only poorly executed. It's not terrible, but after the first three films, you could tell they were running out of gas. Regardless, who didn't have the adolescent pumps for Drago's ol' lady? :whistle:

Rocky V, is...gee, I don't even remember what it's about. Something about a brain injury? Rocky retires and mentors some other slum kid with talented fists and legs?

I guess that means to me that there was Rocky I, II and III, then a coda. I'd like to forget the rest...and it looks like I have. :agree:

17. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I have to give Stallone credit. After 5 movies, I would think that character beaten to death, no pun intended. But he turns him into an aging, somewhat sad character and scores big.

squittolo, 905, Bluesman Mark and 2 others like this.
  18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

IV - you got James Brown. You got Dolph Lundgren as Drago for some over-the-top U.S.A. goodness. It's bad, but I like it.

But, yeah, the original is quite good and has an almost "indie flick" charm.

19. You're right! Probably not as indie as The Party at Kitty and Stud's, but still very organic.

20. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Rocky 3 and 4 were good. He really picked good antagonists. Pure entertainment.
    On HBO I watch the the fight scenes.
    I wish they would do a rocky fights Rambo

21. Michael

with a beautiful heart as good as gold as well....I couldn't imagine it being any better and Milo played his son perfectly!
    nice to see Pauly...love Pauly.

22. Michael

when is Sly doing the futzin around with Rocky 4? I recall him saying something about a Directors Cut???

23. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

It's very good - mostly because Sylvester Stallone is very good. I enjoy the sequels - some more than others - but in those, Stallone's performances often border on self parody. Not so in Rocky Balboa. Hell, you could watch the first Rocky, then jump ahead to Rocky Balboa and feel like you're picking up the story where you left it, only a few decades later.

'05Train, MikeInFla, JPagan and 3 others like this.
  24. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

25. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

I have the Rocky boxset on Bluray and enjoy them all except the 5th one. Even Stallone himself said how bad that one sucked. But I did enjoy the last one 'Rocky Balboa' as that film came full circle for Rocky's character. I haven't seen the Creed movies but may one of these days. Watching the fights though for me at least you just can't help but get emotional when Rocky emerges the victor after what he went through.

And as for the original Rocky film Stallone himself wrote the script for that movie but Hollywood wanted to cast someone else to play the character. Stallone would only offer them the script if he would be the one to play the role. And history was made from there!