Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. trix

trix Forum Resident

There is no fully complete Bernsten box.

There is a complete Bernstein DG box, but I think his earlier recordings (now Sony) are better, so I would rather recommend Bernstein Remastered, but again - it depends what you are looking for. If you want complete symphony cycles, then DG Bernstein is the one to go for. But it is rather expensive.

ssstand and Swordsandchains like this.
  2. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

I can't bring myself to get the Bernstein Remastered, although the sound is indeed better. The problem is the seemingly random selection.

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

The movie made quite an impact on me as well when it came out. At this point, best to buy the digital HD version and stream it. I got mine on sale for $4.99 (iTunes).

Aslak and 'As You Know' Bob like this.
  4. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

I think the opposite, for example. For various reasons: he was a better musician at older age, he mainly recorded in those years with Vienna Philharmonic (a winner combo), and New York Philharmonic was an orchestra far inferior to the one it was from the 80s on. And far worse orchestra than the Vienna Philharmonic.

Robur likes this.
  5. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Also, the Amazon DG Bernstein box inventory seems to be down to 4 Amazon, price now $510.

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sorry, but I disagree. To my ears Bernstein was a better conductor in his Sony years, more restrained, not as sentimental and over-the-top as he sometimes was during his DG years, regardless of the quality of the orchestras. I've never been and probably never will be a big Bernstein fan, but I find his NYPO years generally more listenable.

7. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

cws and 6138 like this.
  9. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I think the NYPO was a lot closer in quality to Vienna or Berlin than some of our European friends seem to think. But the reason I tend to prefer Sony Bernstein over DGG Bernstein is interpretation. As he aged, Bernstein increasingly fell prey to the idea the slower equals more profound. There's some DG Tchaikovsky that he spreads out to Mahlerian length.

Don't get me wrong. I have pretty much everything he recorded. But when he duplicated repertoire--which he did with some regularity--I tend to prefer his earlier stuff to his later stuff more often than not.

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Agreed. Also the NYPO was in very fine form when Bernstein was with them. In loads of those Vienna recordings the orchestra doesn't sound all that plussed to have him as the conductor.

Of everything he recorded in Vienna I don't even feel like having the full Mahler cycle is a must, and I only have about half it. Even as a real Mahler nut.

trix likes this.
  11. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

:righton::tiphat:

5-String likes this.
  12. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

:realmad: . . . just kidding. It pays to keep an eye on the site at all times! If I hadn't seen that Szeryng box for $12.07 in time . . .

cws and 5-String like this.
  13. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Agree, I have found many bargains thanks to members of this forum.

14. Fizzle

Fizzle Forum Resident

How are you all finding these deals? Are you using price trackers or just checking Amazon or...? I’ve picked up a few mega-boxes lately (just received the Bruno Walter Columbia and Martha Argerich DG today) and I’d love to get in on some if these.

15. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

There's so much of the Walter set that is on Qobuz and in high resolution now.

16. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

A bit off-topic (acutally not quite): is Urania a label that licenses stuff or a PD label?

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I ordered the Artur Rodzinski Sony box set yesterday from jpc.de. I listened to Hurvitz’s review of the box and some internet commentary here and there. Not really a mega box. I do have a couple of his recordings in the Westminster Legacy box, but this box will expand my collection substantially.

BruceEder, Robur, J.A.W. and 3 others like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Got my Grumiaux replacement disc 45 from JPC today.

Runicen, bluemooze, albelTW and 2 others like this.
  19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I agree. At his best Bernstein is mercurial: he sees through the score to the essence of the work and just gives you that, without labouring over every bar & phrase. By the end of his career the flamboyant ease had disappeared, however, and everything he conducted (or composed) seemed to become this grand "statement". Much like Mahler I think he got to worrying that everything he did was going to end up as his memorial.

Robur, trix and cartologist like this.
  20. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I just browse around and sometimes got lucky.

Robur and 5-String like this.
  21. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

While there has been fewer good deals on the various Amazons on Prime Day, it's worth checking on June 21 and 22. If you find something worth your while you can join Prime for free during a trial period and once you made your purchase get out of it again. I've gotten some pretty good deals that way, if not as frequently the last few years.

22. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Got Ormandy box #1, and sent an email to Sony, requesting 2 replacement discs.

I ordered my FINAL NO MORE EVER EVER box set (Walter) because… uh… I don’t know.

23. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Like they say about smoking: "It's easy to quit. I've done it hundreds of times."

Runicen, Four Bs, Robur and 2 others like this.
  24. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

I've been focused otherwise lately and missed any discussion of faulty discs in the Ormandy box - which discs and how do I contact for a replacement? (Thanks for filling me in belatedly).

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Disc 103 is missing a part and you can ask Ms Kindlmann (Sony) for a replacement: [email protected] Got mine last week. Don't forget to give her your name and address.