“It Won't Be Long” by The Beatles*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by douglas mcclenaghan, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I agree with you but sometimes it's best to just ignore the trolls

2141 and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

But not She Loves You. Have read that IWBL was recorded as a potential single which was why so much work was put into it. But they decided not to because of the yeah yeah yeah's being too similar to She Loves You

Rfreeman and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

As to the song it's one of my favorites of the mop top era and I think it's better than most of the singles from that era with a few exceptions like Please Please Me and A Hard Days Night

4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have some affection for Bobby Vee. He did have a warm, resonant voice, but a completely mismanaged career that was way too strings and pop. And, yes, The Beatles and the entire British Invasion wave wiped out nearly all the previous era's pop stars. All the teeny "Bobby's" went by the wayside and just a few survived a while. Bobby Darin shifted to adult pop mode (actually he'd done that well before The Beatles). Rick Nelson got wiped off the charts (truth be told his career was stalling before The Beatles as was Dion's -- moves to major labels didn't work for those guys -- the big labels took any rock ethos they had and turned them into adult/bland). Del Shannon continued having hits for a couple of years...there may have been a few others but I can't remember...

For people who still don't understand The Beatles' impact in 1963/1964 all one need do is listen to the #1 on the charts in the US just prior to I Want To Hold Your Hand hitting the top and compare:

5. EdogawaRampo

This:

Is it any wonder people went hysterical? Breath of fresh air applies here...

Rob6899, ODIrony, Fawltykog and 3 others like this.
  6. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: First of all, I'm sure you meant I - vi - IV - V. This song utilizes a slight variation (I - vi - IV - iv), but that's not the point. You obviously didn't listen past the first few seconds. Beginning at 0:22, we get the descending chord pattern found in the two bridges of "It Won't Be Long," + an unexpected augmented chord.

uzn007, ODIrony, O Don Piano and 2 others like this.
  7. 80steen

80steen John McClane

A good punchy track along the lines of I Want To Hold Your Hand. A good album opener and even before I ever knew it was an album opener because I only knew Meet The Beatles, it was a solid continuation of three great opening tracks.

AFOS and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for It Won't Be Long
    Meet The Beatles- Beat CD 001
    [​IMG]

followed by Meet The Beatles -the Capitol Versions CD Box...
    followed by With The Beatles MFSL LP

all stereo of course.

9. Michael

of course! he just made a typo...I saw this, but I did not feel the need to correct him. : )

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  10. Michael

wait until you hear it in S T E R E O! glorious and delightful...the only way to go on this song!

11. Michael

indeed like most of the Beatles in stereo!

12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Some of those early stereo mixes sound like they’re already exploded, and we are listening to the embers on each side of the stereo spectrum!

(I’m sorry Michael! I just had to rib ya a little bit! Just kidding around!)

13. Michael

I can take it! ; ) ah ha ha...and I knew you were kidding.

14. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I love The Beatles in stereo too but only starting at A Hard Days Night.
    I'm not big on the extreme separation of the first two albums and early singles in stereo.

ODIrony likes this.
  15. Michael

That's cool...gotcha...you know what I like! ; )

16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Interestingly, for some reason George drops out for a couple of the "yeah" responses in the middle of the song, and his subtle harmony on one of the bridges goes a little off key so it was obviously a rushed recording. The two available outtakes show they had it nailed down pretty tight but the sort of ad-lib bit at the end was different.

We had With The Beatles for Christmas 1963 and this track and that album are still favourites. By the way, that video a few posts back was from Ready Steady Go where they lip-synched to the record. The audio is one of those clever recreations by someone else but the drumming in particular is so bad it proves yet again how stellar Ringo was (pun intended but meant)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    uzn007, zobalob, DK Pete and 2 others like this.
  17. EdogawaRampo

I'm not 'big' on it either, but I grew up with it, so maybe it doesn't bother me as much as it does others. And, this is key, it doesn't prevent me from absolutely loving the Die Beatles HorZu LP and the purple label Canadian Capitol Beatlemania! With The Beatles. Those two have both fantastic detail with wonderful warm tonality. I like the monos plenty. I can't do without the stereos.

18. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Definitely not the original TV soundtrack.

Used to have the VHS volume 1 of "Ready steady go!" and that 100% used the original studio take.

This is a lot different, therefore I'd bet overdubbed.

DK Pete and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  19. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I don't mind some separation on older stereo. I quite prefer the original 65 stereo Rubber Soul. I just think Please Please Me and With The Beatles and a few of the singles are too far a part for me.

20. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Great opener for the album. No messing about, just straight into a rocking chorus. 2nd best song on the album, after All My Loving.

21. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I like the song but I never much liked the performance on the album.

But this one, the other outtake, sounds like an awesome performance. Too bad it only exists in super low quality. I believe it was recorded by their driver, Al Bicknel.

douglas mcclenaghan and Longers like this.
  22. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I always felt like 'Wait' was a poor man's 'It Won't Be Long' in the same way 'Yes It Is' was a half baked 'This Boy'

23. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Or being a kid in the USA in 1964, 13 years old, hearing it on Meet The Beatles...even as track #4 it was a stunning song and still a fave. And killer in mono, even stronger than the UK mix...wasn't the UK mix a fold down, whereas the Capitol was not!

:edthumbs:

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yea, the sound of the drums definitely stands out.

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yes, yes...sorry 'bout that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.