The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

"Waterloo Sunset"

[​IMG]
    Single by the Kinks
    from the album Something Else by the Kinks
    B-side
    "Act Nice and Gentle" (UK) "Two Sisters" (US)
    Released May 5, 1967
    Recorded April 1967[1]
    Genre Psychedelic pop[2] orchestral pop[3]
    Length 3:16
    Label Pye (UK, 7N 17321) Reprise (US, 0612)
    Songwriter(s) Ray Davies
    Producer(s) Ray Davies

So firstly, this was the first Kinks single available in true stereo.

Secondly, this was the first Kinks song produced solely by Ray Davies.

Weekly charts
    Chart (1997) Peak
    position

Australia (ARIA)[26] 238
    Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)[27] 51
    Iceland (Íslenski Listinn Topp 40)[28] 7
    Scotland (OCC)[29] 9
    UK Singles (OCC)[30] 11

Year-end charts

Chart (1997) Position
    Iceland (Íslenski Listinn Topp 40)[31] 80

The charts are so out of whack or so it seems. It was the biggest hit in Iceland, and didn't even seem to get noticed in the USA .....
    Now contrast that with the thoughts about these things down the track ... In Rolling Stone magazines 500 greatest songs it was voted in at number 42....

Christgau said it was "the most beautiful song in the English language"
    Pete Townshend has said it is "divine" and a "masterpiece"
    Many have referred to it as the apogee, or the highest point of the swinging sixties.
    Paul Weller has stated that this is his favourite song.

Ray Davies has said this is "a romantic, lyrical song about my older sister's generation."

Ray brought this to the band while they were in the middle of recording the album. He was reluctant to share the lyrics because they were so personal. In a Rolling Stone magazine interview, his brother (and Kinks guitarist) Dave Davies said Ray felt "it was like an extract from a diary nobody was allowed to read."

Ray started writing this a few years before it was released, and it was originally called Liverpool Sunset, but when the Beatles released Penny Lane, he changed the song, because he didn't want people to incorrectly think that he was inspired by that to write it.

Prior to releasing the single Ray revisited the location to make sure he had got the atmosphere correct.

This track may be the pinnacle of Ray's storytelling songs, it has found its place in the hearts of the majority of the music loving world, and that isn't really hard to believe, because it really is a solid track, that transcends the idea of being a single by a pop or a rock band. It almost creates its own world, as most of Ray's best songs do.
    This is a song that I have heard many people call their favourite song of all time, by anyone..... and I completely understand all these perspectives.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mono mix (3:14), recorded Apr 1967 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London

Dirty old river, must you keep rolling
    Flowing into the night
    People so busy, makes me feel dizzy
    Taxi light shines so bright
    But I don't need no friends
    As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset
    I am in paradise

Every day I look at the world from my window
    But chilly, chilly is the evening time
    Waterloo sunset's fine

Terry meets Julie, Waterloo Station
    Every Friday night
    But I am so lazy, don't want to wander
    I stay at home at night
    But I don't feel afraid
    As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset
    I am in paradise

Every day I look at the world from my window
    But chilly, chilly is the evening time
    Waterloo sunset's fine

Millions of people swarming like flies 'round Waterloo underground
    But Terry and Julie cross over the river
    Where they feel safe and sound
    And they don't need no friends
    As long as they gaze on Waterloo sunset
    They are in paradise

Waterloo sunset's fine

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Noma Music, Inc./Hi-Count Music, Inc. BMI

This really is a beautiful song. It paints a picture that you can almost walk into. This seems to me to essentially be a song about contentment, but it also has a sort of hint of reclusiveness, which I find really interesting.
    For the record, I assume everyone knows, but just in case, Waterloo Underground would be a reference to the Tube, or railway station, to the best of my knowledge.

We get that lovely galloping guitar at the start that rolls into the iconic staccato guitar riff. We get those beautiful backing vocals that just add to the feeling and atmosphere of the song.

Ray's vocal is so relaxed and beautiful ....

Look, all I am going to say here, is this song almost defines the term classic. The song has carved out a reputation, that's fully justified, as being among the greatest pop or rock songs ever written, and it is pretty much beyond examination. It actually isn't my favourite Kinks song, but I love the band deeply, so I have many other songs across the catalog that connect so closely with me that for me, this becomes one of many transcendent songs that I am glad I didn't have to live without.

For me, yet another perfect piece of writing that touches my heart deeply, and for me that is one of the most important things about music, my misguided head has nothing to add of value, and sometimes the heart can only observe and smile.

So give us the lowdown folks, I know many will have much to say about this, and I am looking forward to reading what you all have to say.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. mark winstanley

It is very interesting and also quite poignant that there don't appear to be any alternative versions of this song. Ray knew exactly what he wanted to say, and how he wanted to say it, or so it would appear

3. mark winstanley

Act Nice And Gentle.

mono mix (2:39), recorded probably Jan 1967 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London

You don't need no fancy clothes
    Where'd you get them, goodness knows?
    Just show some civility.
    Act nice, act nice and gentle to me.

I don't need no luxuries,
    As long as you are understanding,
    I'm not difficult to please.

Well I'm the kind of guy who likes
    To take you as I find you
    So throw away those false eyelashes and,
    Act nice, act nice, baby.

Come on baby, hold my hand.
    Come on baby, understand, you gotta

Come on baby, hold my hand.
    Come on baby, understand, you gotta

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Davray Music/Carlin Music Corp.

This to me sounds like it could have come straight off the Muswell Hillbillies album.
    The opening acoustic gets a little bit of time to bring us in, and at times brings to mind Twentieth Century Man. Then we move into an almost Carl Perkins type of track, with that countryish rockabilly feel.

Lyrically this is great. Forget all the add ons, and just be nice, and I'll accept you. In a world where we seem to have more and more of a facade building up in people's lives.... where everything is becoming more and more fake, this seems like a pretty poignant lyric for our times.

The feel here is what gets me. We have this ultra relaxed track that tells us what we need to know in a nice relaxed manner. This is not a song that I am super familiar with, I have heard it on the expanded cd's, but I have a tendency to just listen to the album, so I haven't heard it an awful lot.

I suppose in some ways this is a lesser Kinks song, and that speaks volumes to me about how great this band is.

Jon H., renderj, DISKOJOE and 11 others like this.
  4. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Waterloos Sunset is quite simply one of the, arguably the most beautiful, perfect song of all time. Interesting that Ray held the lyrics back from the rest of the band as they did the track. As a bit of a socially maladroit person who loves art and sees beauty in the everyday, I can relate to the lyrics, watching others who have an easier time with life than me, like you can't believe. I also remember when I heard the working version of the backing track for the first time, with Ray totally in command knowing exactly what he wants, even after hearing the complete songs a zillion times, I teared up at its utter majesty.

5. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I second this. The backing track take on Anthology (as heard here) is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. The final track is a majestic ode to one of the greatest cities in the world, but the mix is the very definition of aural wonder. I cannot tell you have many times I have put this on and drifted off to another world, another place.

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Waterloo Sunset is perfect, Act Nice and Gentle is not. But then, I am not a fan of Muswell Hillbillies either.

7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

There is only ONE contemporary piece of footage of The Kinks original line up performing this song! From Beat Club again. I had to go on to Dailymotion to find a half decent copy of this. Look out for Dave losing his glasses halfway through!
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjt8h

8. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Live 1973 version, from BBC’s ‘In Concert’ programme:

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Solo Ray version from 1978, although with a rare appearance by very short lived Kinks Keysman of the time Gordon Edwards helping out:

10. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Yes, it reminds us how fantastic a band song it is. Beyond Ray's writing, everyone here is at the top of his game. Dave's nuances and the diversity of sounds he manages to get from his guitar and customized amp, some powerful drumming that never takes anything away for the dreamy quality of the track, incredible tastefulness and melodicism in Pete's bass part… oh, and those masterful low piano chords! It's a master class in arrangement to create atmosphere. We see the images, we hear the sounds of the city and the people or cars that come and go, we feel and hear the wind blowing in our hair, it's like we know the exact time it is, down to how's the weather or temperature are. The words and melody and the masterful structure of the song do that of course. But the playing is… er… instrumental to convey the myriad of images, emotions and feelings of this most ikonik masterpiece.

11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

1994 To The Bone live in the studio remake. This was on the UK version of the album (and even released as the A side of an EP there) but completely omitted from the US version:

12. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Just as well we have two days to talk about "Waterloo Sunset", as it will probably take a while to think of anything to say about it that hasn't already been said!

The MEZ, pablo fanques, Orino and 6 others like this.
  13. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Damon Albarn duetting with his idol RDD on ‘Waterloo Sunset’ on the Britpop era UK show The White Room in 1995. Look out for Ray ‘returning the favour’ by leading them into a cover of ‘Parklife’ at the end, a moment that Albarn later said he found profoundly embarrassing as it ruined the sanctity of the moment (and apparently Ray got the chords wrong)! Tbh I love Blur too, but as even more if a Kinks fan, I have to admit I find a crappy busked Ray Davies version of ‘Parklife’ of more interest than a respectful Damon Albarn version of ‘Waterloo Sunset’ (when let’s face it the original single can’t be bettered).

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The Kinks in the 60s have so many truly great A side worthy B sides, and ‘Act Nice And Gentle’ is one of the few that isn’t, nor is it even attempting to be. I mean I still like it but it has to be the slightest thing they put out at the time in 1967-70. I do wonder if this was an intentional Phil Spector move on Rays part, ie ‘Waterloo Sunset’ was so important to him he didn’t want to put anything that might have any chance of outshining it on the other side. I also believe, as ‘This Is Where I Belong’ never saw UK release in the 60s, that this was never issued in the US at the time in any form, not even being mopped up on Kronikles or GLKA!

Duster Bennett did a cover of the song a few years later, fully recasting it in that kind of early 70s, Mungo Jerry skiffle revival mode. Here it is:

15. Fortuleo

You're unfair ! Waterloo Sunset is the Kinks' God Only Knows. Their one holly sacred song. Act Nice and Gentle is not aiming at sacred and holly, it's aiming at throwaway country-ish b-side fun !

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The MC introduction, “...and King Kink, Ray Davis.” (Not Davies. Ray looks at him and says, “words of wisdom.”)

ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  17. Fortuleo

Act Nice and Gentle sounds like an unlikely first taste of the 90's americana movement. It could almost pass for a Mermaid Avenue outtake. I'm calling out my Wilco cohorts @Zeki, @mark winstanley and @palisantrancho (who missed out on yesterday's Two Sisters/Village Green discussion, don't think we didn't notice it!) to back me up on this.
    Now that's a lovely cover, I MUCH prefer it to the Black Keys heavy blues take. It underlines the fact that even in an obvious minor/lesser song, Ray's tunes were always insanely catchy.

18. mark winstanley

Good call mate, I can totally see that.
    I think I have a hangover from yesterday's songs to be honest. I found yesterday's songs strangely effecting and emotional

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘Act Nice And Gentle’: I’ll support @Fortuleo ’s position. And @croquetlawns observation that it sounds very Muswell Hillbillies. Because of that it’s an easy hit with me. A pleasant, smile-inducing...and like @ajsmith said, Mungo Jerry-ish, song.

20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

24. mark winstanley

25. mark winstanley