The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No, but they included vocals on and off over the years. The versions I saw in San Diego 12/93 and L.A. 12/94 both had vocals, I'm almost positive, although I don't think I've gone back and listened to either show.

bzfgt likes this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Although flubs are edited out on the officially released version.

Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You talkin' to me? I'm on the back of the worm, buddy, and you better believe I'm enjoying it. What is this early rising you speak of?

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Ha! No. You and I and bfzgt are usually some of the only ones playing tunes in the post-midnight hours.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

No those pix are from Charlotte. Here’s a few from buckeye tho(don’t mind the giants stub, I like the chaos of putting things out of order in my albums)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ahem …

KCWhistle, trd, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, but at 3AM here, it’s still dinner time in the ‘Bourne.

:whistle:

8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, true dat :laugh:

What time you got now?

US Blues likes this.
  9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I have heard the Englishtown show... Pretty amazing. I've got to listen to that He's Gone again though! That's become one of my favorite GD songs, especially '72/'73.

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Crazy Fingers is one of my favorite GD songs.

11. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

...and I only made it through the first disc last night!

Listening to disc 2 of 11/10/73 right now. Sublime.

12. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Did they ever play Englishtown/Raceway again? This show has some sort of mood.

VWs and their wiper motors. I had a Mars Red GTI where the wipers would flip out to the side like a bird trying to take off.

Jim Walker, SJR and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

No, and I believe this might be the last time they ever played a racetrack or some other type of improvised (and mostly unsuitable) large venue. From then on, wasn't it always stadiums or amphitheaters if they played outdoors?

SJR, frightwigwam, KeninDC and 2 others like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Doing some Googling related to this, I found an article about Portland Meadows (horserace track) in Oregon that surprisingly (to me, at least) lists the Dead's 1995 shows among the best ever played there.

The Five Greatest Concerts Ever at Portland Meadows

SJR, Crispy Rob, frightwigwam and 2 others like this.
  15. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

I grew up in Portland, but everything in that article was after my time and so didn't come to mind. Prior to the '90s, Portland Meadows was used strictly for horseracing, I believe, and maybe for some other special types of outdoor events. The GD always played Autzen Stadium in Eugene when they did big outdoor shows in Oregon prior to that.

Portland is kind of weird for a city that large in not having a proper stadium. It only has an old '20s era minor league baseball stadium (Civic Stadium or whatever the corporate sponsored name is now), which is small and has literally zero dedicated parking. The noise would also be a problem in trying to hold concerts there.

KCWhistle, SJR, adamos and 1 other person like this.
  16. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Lewiston Fairgrounds or Ventura count? Veneta anniversary? Also Oxford Speedway.

uzn007 and bzfgt like this.
  17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

You can totally hear the air go out of the entire show on the tape.

I believe Manor Downs in texas is a racetrack, they played there semi-regularly through 1985.

18. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

What about the Rose Garden? Surprised they didn't play there, since they played other basketball arenas.

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Cornell '81, going into Lost Sailor? ;)

20. US Blues

They dragged the WOS, and the pre-WOS, into the Coliseum a couple of times.

Billy_Sunday and frightwigwam like this.
  21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

6/12/87

My only time seeing the GD on this day, and my only trip to Ventura. Setlist looks good, but I seem to remember the next two nights more.

It was also the start of my only cross country trip. I did every show from 6/12/87 to 7/12/87. (I live in NJ, so didn't fly back for the last 3 west coast Dylan/Dead shows...........slept for a week instead).

6/12/87
    Jack Straw, West L.A. Fadeaway, Mama Tried-> Big River, Candyman, My Brother Esau, Bird Song, Desolation Row, Don't Ease Me In

China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Far From Me, Women Are Smarter-> He's Gone-> Drums-> Space-> The Wheel-> I Need A Miracle-> Black Peter-> Around & Around-> Good Lovin'

E: Touch Of Gray

WiseJake237, SJR, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  22. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Englishtown ‘77 at times sounds like a very good matrix.

Jim Walker, SJR and johnnypaddock like this.
  23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Forgot

Also saw 6/12/92 Albany. I should've remembered, since it's my favorite show of 1992.

Jack Straw, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Maggie's Farm, Brown Eyed Women, Black Throated Wind, New Speedway Boogie, Promised Land

Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain, Way To Go Home, Truckin'-> Smokestack Lightning-> Drums-> Jam-> The Last Time-> China Doll-> Sugar Magnolia

E: Attics Of My Life

24. US Blues

12 June is the anniversary of the Mount St. Helen's show in Portland.

25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Caught this one again this morning. I can't say I'd put He's Gone up there with those late '72 / early '73 versions, but man that jam into NFA is insane. Especially the first few minutes, it has that quality where you can hear elements of both songs at the same time. Incredible transition, and the NFA jam is a heater!