The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I look through Mark’s Reference Guide and can just imagine the exam questions.

True or False: Mick Avory thought he killed Dave Davies by throwing a drum cymbal at his head.

Name the Kinks longtime producer:

Up to this point in the thread discussion, which of the Kinks singles has the overall best aggregate score (based on wiki’s charting of 8 countries: UK/US/AUS/CAN/GER/IRE/NLD/NZ). I.e. which single has overall best charting position overall worldwide?

The possibilities are endless!

2. I've always been puzzled about this Liverpool Sunset story, the song is so London-centric it's hard to imagine that it could be called anything other than Waterloo Sunset. Also the reference to Waterloo Bridge and the reference to the tube station? By the way there is an area in Liverpool called Waterloo, that looks out onto a dirty old river, but there's no bridge and no tube station!

Anyways..... I listened to this last week for about the millionth time, and it still gets me! I particularly enjoy the sparse arrangement, there's really hardly anything on the track, the temptation to throw the kitchen sink in must have been strong but they wisely kept things in check and let the song speak for itself. Smart decision. So what we're left with is this intimate sounding thing with really effective individual embellishments.

The lyrics are also very good. The narrator is alone despite living in a big city surrounded by crowds, so he stays close to the places that he knows, there's fear being described here. The introduction of Terry and Julie then provides an almost voyeur like quality. We're so close to the narrator that when he references the other characters it feels almost like an intrusion. This closeness, the feeling of being cocooned in the song, is really special. So whilst the song is melodically sweet, there's a hint of something darker underneath, whether this was intentional or not I don't know. At the conclusion Terry and Julie, and the narrator, shun the company of others, feeling safer with what they are familiar with. So it's a song that celebrates isolation, suggesting that everyone is really all alone, no matter how many people happen to be around them. Terry and Julie have found some comfort with each other whilst the narrator prefers to watch it all in safety from behind his window.

I would guess none of this was intentional and Ray just wrote the words as they came to him. But the song seems multi-layered to me and can be looked at in a number of different ways. Like much great art.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  3. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I can understand that Waterloo Sunset isn't the greatest song ever but I am having difficulty accepting there are 41 better songs.

4. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Waterloo Sunset

Absolutely love this track and thought the live version Ray played on Vh1 "Storytellers" was very nice.

5. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

"Act Nice and Gentle".. it was originally all about the Kompilations for me (thanks autocorrect, but it's spelt with a K in this thread, thanks very much), which I played to death back in the day. Songs like this (and the likes of "Village Green") just seemed like klassic Kinks tunes to these ears, with little idea where they sat in the canon or release schedule.. anyway I'm not gonna compare it to its A-side.

Vague audiophile ish question, how prominent is the opening bass melody on the different releases? It was pretty loud on my comp, and I always loved it, a cool and unusual way to start the song, but seems near inaudible on the reissue. Or maybe it's just these tired old lugholes.

Anyway I like the easy beat and groove, quite countryish and the Lovin' Spoonful shout is a good one. If this is a preview of the early 70s Kinks sound, I may well have to extend the (k)ollection beyond "Arthur".. cos I do dig this kinda stuff..
    --
    "Waterloo Sunset" I'll inevitably make a meal of any involved write up, so would rather enjoy everyone else's takes. However I think @Zack highlighted a big part of its appeal for me. It's the sense of detachment in the lyric, between our reclusive (and apparently contented) narrator, and the more outgoing 'Terry and Julie's of the world (shades of Two Sisters again?). It feels like it's us, watching him, watching (or imagining) them - the listener can identify, or place themselves in the song, as any of these characters - even just amongst the anonymous commuters on the underground - but wherever and whoever we may be, with the sun(set) shining equally on us all, there's an overwhelming sense that perhaps, in the end, everything can be alright.

God (only) knows*, as a combination of lyric and music, it touches on something almost beyond words.. but then that's the point of art, isn't it?

*Strangely, hearing the instrumental made me think "Beach Boys" which I've never done before, then someone else mentioned them in a different context, which got me thinking.. what if Brian Wilson had written this? Or Lennon, Macca, or Dylan? I think the Kinks never quite get their due, they were/are just never taken as seriously as the hipper 60s acts. But I still rate this song with pretty much anything else you care to throw at me, even from any of those rightly esteemed gentlemen.

I mean, it's no "Plastic Man", but it does the job, right?

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

For those interested here is the top 50 and a link to the whole thing.

1 Bob Dylan Like a Rolling Stone 6:04 95.6 1965 Rock 1960s POWERTRK_155-14 (details...)
    2 The Rolling Stones Satisfaction 3:43 134.7 1985 Rock 1980s ESSENTLS_012-13 (details...)
    3 John Lennon Imagine 3:02 152.6 1971 Slow POWERTRK_023-07 (details...)
    4 Marvin Gaye What's Going On 3:47 101.5 1971 Dance 1970s POWERTRK_085-07 (details...)
    5 Aretha Franklin Respect 2:23 114.5 1967 Rock 1960s POWERTRK_046-16 (details...)
    6 The Beach Boys Good Vibrations 3:36 148.8 1966 Rock 1960s POWERTRK_032-08 (details...)
    7 Chuck Berry Johnny B. Goode 2:38 84.1 1958 Rock 1950s POWERTRK_021-12 (details...)
    8 The Beatles Hey Jude 7:08 146.9 1969 Rock 1960s BEATLES__BLA-13 (details...)
    9 Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit 5:01 117.5 1991 Rock 1990s POWERTRK_022-01 (details...)
    10 Ray Charles What'd I Say (Parts 1 And 2) 5:06 89.6 1959 Rock 1950s POWERTRK_071-16 (details...)
    11 The Who My Generation 3:17 97.2 1966 Rock 1960s POWERTRK_043-14 (details...)
    12 Sam Cooke A Change Is Gonna Come 3:13 138.3 1960 TBD DTRANDOM_005-16 (details...)
    13 The Beatles Yesterday 2:05 97.6 1966 Rock 1960s BEATLES__RDA-13 (details...)
    14 Bob Dylan Blowin' in the Wind 2:46 93.8 1967 TBD HOTSTUFF_026-19 (details...)
    15 The Clash London Calling 3:18 134.3 1979 Rock 1970s POWERTRK_084-13 (details...)
    16 The Beatles I Want to Hold Your Hand 2:26 131.1 1966 Rock 1960s BEATLES__RDA-05 (details...)
    17 Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze 2:50 110.2 1968 Rock 1960s POWERTRK_042-13 (details...)
    18 Chuck Berry Maybellene 2:19 118.4 1955 Rock 1950s POWERTRK_095-13 (details...)
    19 Elvis Presley Hound Dog 2:15 88.8 1956 Rock 1950s POWERTRK_023-06 (details...)
    20 The Beatles Let It Be 3:52 137.4 1969 Rock 1960s BEATLES__BLB-12 (details...)
    21 Bruce Springsteen Born to Run 4:30 146.3 1975 Rock 1970s POWERTRK_090-08 (details...)
    22 The Ronettes Be My Baby 2:37 128.0 1963 Dance 1960s POWERTRK_162-14 (details...)
    23 The Beatles In My Life 2:27 103.7 1966 Rock 1960s BEATLES__RDB-09 (details...)
    24 The Impressions People Get Ready 2:38 120.4 2003 TBD DTRANDOM_002-18 (details...)
    25 The Beach Boys God Only Knows 2:52 116.6 1966 TBD DTRANDOM_006-02 (details...)
    26 The Beatles A Day in the Life 5:06 130.3 1969 Rock 1960s BEATLES__BLA-06 (details...)
    27 Derek & The Dominos Layla 7:04 115.2 1972 Rock 1970s POWERTRK_024-01 (details...)
    28 Otis Redding (Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay 2:41 103.3 1968 Slow POWERTRK_044-13 (details...)
    29 The Beatles Help! 2:20 95.2 1966 Rock 1960s BEATLES__RDB-01 (details...)
    30 Johnny Cash I Walk the Line 2:41 106.4 1956 Country POWERTRK_026-17 (details...)
    31 Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven 7:59 99.7 1971 Slow POWERTRK_046-10 (details...)
    32 The Rolling Stones Sympathy for the Devil 6:18 116.2 1968 TBD DTRANDOM_003-06 (details...)
    33 Tina Turner River Deep - Mountain High 3:40 102.9 1991 Rock 1980s TINATURN_GH1-09 (details...)
    34 The Righteous Brothers You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' 3:41 96.1 1964 Slow POWERTRK_042-16 (details...)
    35 The Doors Light My Fire 7:06 125.1 1967 Rock 1960s POWERTRK_025-15 (details...)
    36 U2 One 4:35 90.6 1992 Slow POWERTRK_017-10 (details...)
    37 Bob Marley & The Wailers No Woman No Cry 7:07 157.7 1974 Reggae POWERTRK_042-01 (details...)
    38 The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter 4:32 118.9 1969 TBD DTRANDOM_004-16 (details...)
    39 Buddy Holly That'll Be the Day 2:16 116.3 1957 Rock 1950s POWERTRK_050-02 (details...)
    40 Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Dancing in the Street 2:37 127.5 1964 Dance 1960s POWERTRK_141-18 (details...)
    41 The Band The Weight 4:31 144.2 1968 Rock 1960s POWERTRK_135-03 (details...)
    42 The Kinks Waterloo Sunset 3:17 107.3 1967 TBD DTRANDOM_005-13 (details...)
    43 Little Richard Tutti-Frutti 2:22 184.6 1956 Rock 1950s POWERTRK_105-14 (details...)
    44 Ray Charles Georgia on My Mind 3:38 128.8 1960 Slow POWERTRK_046-12 (details...)
    45 Elvis Presley Heartbreak Hotel 2:09 107.8 1956 Rock 1950s POWERTRK_062-17 (details...)
    46 David Bowie Heroes 3:33 113.1 1998 TBD DTRANDOM_007-17 (details...)
    47 Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water 4:51 87.2 1970 Slow POWERTRK_009-01 (details...)
    48 Jimi Hendrix All Along the Watchtower 4:01 114.3 1968 Rock 1960s POWERTRK_029-04 (details...)
    49 The Eagles Hotel California 6:29 147.9 1977 Slow POWERTRK_051-01 (details...)
    50 Smokey Robinson Tracks of My Tears 2:55 97.7 1965 Slow POWERTRK_046-17 (details...)

Rolling Stone - 500 Greatest Songs (Music Database :: Dave Tompkins)

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Two Sisters" was never one of my favorite tracks on "Something Else." It struck me more as a story than a song. Verse, verse, bridge, verse. I also never paid close attention to the lyrics. Sylvilla (is that a rare name!) and Percilla are so close to each other that I probably spent years not even realizing we're talking about two separate people, despite the name of the song. It's a simple observation of jealousy, grass is always greener stuff, before realizing your lot in life comes with its own benefits and rewards that the person you are jealous of may be craving themselves. I don't know how complicated this is musically, it just seems like a simple uncluttered backing to allow Ray to tell his story. Don't know why I dig those hum's at the end. But I do.

"Village Green" - Oh man. This is me. I love VGPS and here we get our first taste. Unlike "Two Sisters," this has a lot going on musically. The drum fills, a chorus, the strings being plucked in that chorus, the horns, the la-la-la backing vocals, and Ray's wonderful observations. He misses this place so, but won't return there quite yet. And when he does, he figures Daisy will still be there and they will laugh,.. not be sad. This song paints such a nice picture. If you can make someone miss and long for something they've never been able to experience, you are an effective & brilliant lyricist.

8. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Waterloo Sunset"
    One of Ray and the band's pop/rock masterpieces and close to being my favorite Kinks' song. The lyrics are Ray's best so far and will remain some of his best he ever has written. A love letter to London via the story of Julie and Terry it's a love song of longing and is bittersweet. The music is perfect for the lyrical content in that it sounds great but never gets in the way of the words. Truly a top ten Kinks' song as far as I'm concerned.

"Act Nice And Gentle"
    Good Kinks' song but in comparison with some of the other tracks they were recording at the same time somewhat pedestrian. Not that it isn't a good song it just doesn't have the overall quality that songs like "Two Sisters", "Waterloo Sunset" or "Village Green" have. Still, a worthy addition to their canon. Ray and the boys were really on a roll during this time.

9. Some shockers in there, John Lennon with Imagine!
    Jeez!

10. mark winstanley

I have no inherent problem with the list, it's the kind of list I expect, but like any of these kinds of lists, it is seemingly very arbitrary and doesn't line up with any kind of list I could put together (which I couldn't, because it would change every day, and as soon as I finished, if that was even possible, I would remember something I missed and then spend five hours figuring how to fit it in there)...

Examples for me personally
    Like A Rolling Stone is a great song, but personally Dylan has many many songs that I think are better, and more important.

The Beatles, as shown here .... I am a Beatles fan, I have all their albums, the US albums box and the three recent super deluxe sets (not bragging or anything, I am merely giving a context. It's easy to say one is a fan merely to then criticise while seeming objective, but you have nothing the band ever made) The Beatles have eight tracks in the top 26.... which is positively ludicrous. One of them is I Want To Hold Your Hand at number 16, which is also positively ludicrous.

Elvis Presley Hound Dog at 19 ... Heartbreak Hotel at 45 ... and no That's All Right Mama. Heartbreak Hotel is much more significant than Hound Dog for many reasons. I also think that If I Can Dream is a better and more poignant song, when Elvis particularly commissioned for a song to be written in honour of Martin Luther King, and then delivered one of the most heartbreakingly emotional vocals I have ever heard.

To my mind there are all sorts of problems with this list, even though I think I like pretty much all the songs.

I think to some degree it is significant to note - Of the 500 songs, 351 are from the United States and 120 from the United Kingdom; they are followed by Canada, with 13 (a majority of them by Neil Young); Ireland, with 12 entries (of which 8 were composed by U2); Jamaica, with 7 (most of them by Bob Marley and the Wailers, Jimmy Cliff, and Toots and the Maytals); Australia, with two (AC/DC); Sweden (ABBA) and France (Daft Punk), each with one.

Another major thing effecting this list is the regional popularity of artists, and the relatively hidden nature of the Kinks catalogue in the main body of the USA.

I'll go with something that should have little bearing on anybodies feelings in this thread for an example .... There are two songs from Australia in there, which in itself is fairly laughable to me, and they are both by Acdc ... I like Acdc a lot too (I have all their real albums, not the international butcheries, from the debut up to Fly On the Wall), they have been in my life since I was a pup, and if I was picking the best and/or most significant songs in Australian music Acdc would be present, but it is extremely unlikely they would have the top two spots ......

So essentially in many ways, a list like this (which would be hard to even start compiling, I completely have to admit) merely puts forward a hivemind idea of what the best are, with a lot of bias and ignorance thrown into the mix....

I'm sure others may see it differently though :)

11. mark winstanley

Yep ... I have to agree

12. mark winstanley

You will at least want to hear Muswell Hillbillies ... I personally think the seventies and eighties Kinks katalog is extremely valuable, but I am guessing there will only be a few of us that do :)

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

"Waterloo Sunset" / "Act Nice And Gentle" - as a big Kinks fanatic in the US from YRGM on, I finally got to the UK on my honeymoon in 1978. I made a pilgrimage to see Waterloo Station just because of WS - much to my new bride's amusement. Also, I managed to find a copy of a cassette compilation with "Act Nice and Gentle" on it; hearing it for the first time on my return, I was really surprised by it, as it seemed quite different than most other Kinks songs except for maybe "Willesden Green" Well, I've loved it to pieces ever since! Of course, I'm among those who rate WS as the best pop song ever...

(Also went to gaze at Berkeley Mews, heh - an odd sight if there ever was one.)

14. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: In January, The Stones release "Ruby Tuesday." In February, The Beatles release "Strawberry Fields Forever." So how does one respond to a one-two punch of that magnitude? Simple answer: :D LIKE THIS! :D Take a look at what else the group's contemporaries were releasing at the time: "On A Carousel," "There's A Kind Of Hush," "I'll Try Anything." "Epistle To Dippy" (Donovan's most psychedelic effort. A huge hit in the U.S. but due to Allan Klein's shenanigans, it wasn't even released in the UK). England was on quite a roll, but to be balanced, there were also quite a few turkeys as well ("Puppet On A String," "You've Got What It Takes," "This Is My Song," "Popcorn Double Feature" etc).

Among other things, this is definitely Rasa's greatest moment on a Kinks record. That high F# she hits throughout is like the organ on "Like A Rolling Stone" or the sitar on "Norwegian Wood." It's difficult to imagine the recording without it. Being from the states, I wasn't familiar with the Waterloo bridge or the Waterloo station when I first heard this tune. The melody is so pastoral, that my first impression was that he must be singing about a young couple meeting on a small oriental pedestrian bridge like this:

[​IMG]

When they get to the final line about millions of people swarming like flies, I at first assumed that he was referring to an entirely different urban location that Terry and Julie were safely miles away from. Of course, when I finally learned about the actual bridge in London, it didn't diminish the beauty of the song at all. About seven years later, Neil Sedaka would borrow a big chunk of the melody for "Laughter In The Rain."
    :kilroy: Of course. There was never any question in my mind that Ray heard this and said to the group, "Hey, this is brill. let's try something along these lines."

15. mark winstanley

One thing that really strikes me about Waterloo Sunset is Ray says a whole lot, without really saying that much.

He essentially describes a scene, and states that this scene gives him a feeling of peace and security. He introduces two characters, and essentially suggests that this scene gives them a sense of peace and security also.... and that is pretty much it.

But if one wants to dig deeper, there is so much that can be revealed by the usage of the words.

The first verse doesn't really romanticise the place, but it feels romantic..... The river is described as dirty, and unstopping. The people are so busy that it gives our observer vertigo ... anxiety? The taxi lights are bright, and in context, somewhat overbearing.
    BUT ... in spite of all that. I don't need no friends .... this can be taken so many ways. - I have friends but I don't need them, because this place is enough to fulfil those requirements - or in fact, I have no friends, I am a loner, but I don't need any friends because I can vicariously share the lives of people just staring out of my window, and my reclusive nature is satisfied by the activity that roams around in this crazy manner outside my window.
    As long as our guy gazes on this scene, he is in his personal paradise..... As if he is agoraphobic. He can be part of the scene, without actually having to enter it.

The Terry and Julie verse is again so gripping, because initially it feels like who are these people, but then it seems like they aren't even the point. They are a contrast to our storyteller. They are out and about in the scene, and he knows, or notices them.... or in fact even makes them up ... to contrast the fact that he Ain't going out there. Lazy almost seems like a rationalisation .... often we don't like to admit our weaknesses, our frailties etc, and so we put forward a kind of excuse ...

Then we get Terry and Julie crossing the river, away from the people, where they feel safe and sound .... and our storyteller puts them in his seat ... when they can gaze upon this place, they are in paradise, but they aren't necessarily safe and sound, or at least feel that way, while they are in the thick of it.

Just looking at the lyrics brings a whole myriad of thoughts and feelings, and in some ways it makes Waterloo Sunset seem like a microcosm of the world, where we get the perspective of someone who is agoraphobic sharing how they participate with the world, while not being in it ....

I think that is one of the things that makes this song feel so beautiful, and so touching. This is a lonely person who shares life with others, just on the other side of the window....

I don't know... I couldn't resist looking deeper while I actually had the time.

16. mark winstanley

I was trying to find a year appropriate view ... but this seems to be a pretty decent view, although much more recent

[​IMG]

17. mark winstanley

An aerial view of Waterloo Bridge

[​IMG]

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Terry and Julie?

[​IMG]

19. mark winstanley

Musically
    We open with the hustle and bustle of the city, represented by the chunk of the marching tacet guitar, and the sort of counterpoint bass in its favoured descending pattern.

Then we get that beautiful melodic, yet staccato guitar riff, that works like a panning camera. It is panning across the river and the city to our storyteller at the window, gazing on all the world outside.

We start with very little backing, isolating the storyteller singer, and then as if holding his delicate heart in place, a choir of angels comes in to support him.

We get to the bridge (but I don't need know friends), and we pull back the musical backdrop a little, and it brings out the solitary existence of our storyteller, and the angels gently support him with their harmonies.

Here is the really interesting section for me. This supreme chorus .... somehow it retains the beautiful relaxing feel, but it has this almost sixties sounding heavy metal style guitar slashing away .... then we are taken back completely to the safe gentle arms of our angels, singing beautiful harmonies to calm out hearts....

The more deeply I look at these songs, the more remarkable they are.
    There is so much going on in this song musically, and it takes a lot of different styles and textures to construct this, but they sit together perfectly on this bed of angelic backing vocals, with the smiling, yet melancholy storyteller gently expressing his feelings about his surroundings and how he relates to them....

Then the outro is like this triumphant announcement that Waterloo Sunset is certainly fine.

This is quite a remarkable song, and has so much more going on than it would first appear

20. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

I am just popping in to say I have nothing to add to what's been said about "Waterloo Sunset"! IMO it's a song that warrants all the over-the-top praise it receives, and singlehandedly would make me a Kinks fan for that one song. Like other near-universally praised pieces of music (e.g., "God Only Knows" as someone else mentioned), it isn't hard to believe that there was some inspiration from the divine in the writing AND in the recording that cuts through everything and goes to the heart and soul of the listener. I am reading X-Ray now and it was interesting to learn just how special he considered that song, for good reason.

I know Ray sang it at the Olympics (it's funny, I don't remember it being cut on US TV, I would think I'd remember that, but I'm old...) I am curious, in the UK is "Waterloo Sunset" something that is in the national consciousness, that most of the population (including post-Boomers) would recognize (with a positive impression or even pride)?

I appreciate the great posts here and am more fully appreciating the Kinks' katalog. Thanks to Mark and all, and posting the lyrics is a great help; I didn't realize how many words I didn't know and obviously with a great songwriter like Ray, it makes a difference!

21. mark winstanley

I almost need the intensity of these guys to drop ... this is a much more emotional thread than I had expected lol

22. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Waterloo Sunset-- I almost don't want to talk about the song itself; anything feels reductive, and if nothing else, I think the other contributors are gonna say enough great stuff. Also I'm in a difficult mood today, and just can't handle anything emotional.

A couple little technical things about mixes of the original hit.

I think the mono single mix beats the standard album mix handily. The background vocals on the stereo sound strangely more out-of-tune. I don't know if they are mixed too high, or whether the mono version has some additional live-into-the-mix double-tracking that sweetens it a bit. Also, the standard stereo has more of that weird out-of-phase stuff going on, and if you sum the stereo into mono, some elements disappear (I forget what--either the backing vocals or their reverb).

Reportedly, as with much of the album, there exist alternate vintage stereo mixes that do NOT have this out-of-phase mixing. In the case of Waterloo Sunset, this mix was released in 1967 (?) on a Marble Arch collection called "Stars of '68." I have not heard this mix. Someone reported this on an earlier thread on the forum.

If you want this mix, make sure you get the stereo version of the album: MALS 762, not MAL 762.

The album also includes Dave Davies' "Death of a Clown," and features a photo of Dave on the cover.

Stars Of '68 (1967, Vinyl)

23. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

great one! i really like the first two frank black albums a lot probably as much as anything he has done including the pixies.

Safeway 2 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. Looks like I was right - there isn't 41 songs better than Waterloo Sunset.

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Whenever publications put out those lists they should just say “here’s 500 great songs.” Trying to put them in some kind of greatness order is futile. Re: that list. No ‘Powderfinger’? Tsk tsk.