RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cue Burn

Cue Burn Senior Member

comeback vinyl site is crashed

Sunset Sam and mcenters like this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m getting a little static and some pops. After playing The Who Face Dances which sounds wonderful.

dee likes this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I have to say, as I was heading out to the store today, I sort of thought "Is it really worth it?" I had fun shopping online last year and found almost everything I was looking for on the day-of or day after the drop.

This year, I only had one album I really wanted to get (Jonathan Richman) but I really wanted it, so I did get up and get down to the store, just as it was opening.

Now that I'm home with a small stack of records, I'm glad I did go out. The fun of coming home and slapping the records on the turntable was definitely missing last year, when I had to wait days or weeks to even hear the albums.

So, anyway, first up this year is Fela - Open & Close. Colored vinyl mimics the album jacket design in a "butterfly pattern" and isn't completely ugly.

The disc itself is clean and flat and centered and sounds great. Very quiet except for a small amount of noise at the end of Side 1, during a very quiet passage.

Overall, the sound is very clear with good definition of the various instruments. I've never actually heard this album before but I'm very happy with the sound quality on this one.

4. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Agreed, Gotta Groove pressings are usually excellent.

groovelocked, recstar24 and AaronW like this.
  5. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Toots & the Maytals is kind of noisy. What crap. Not badly noisy, but noisier than a brand new record should be. Quiet noise between tracks and I just heard a couple of pops that were audible in the middle of a song. I don't think it'll ruin the album for me but it's disappointing. What's the consensus on Get On Down Records? Is this typical for them?

EDIT: Pressing is flat and centered, at least. Also, the vinyl is butt-ugly IMO but what are ya gonna do?

6. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Co-sign on Quiet Kenny being an absolutely terrific pressing. Same for the Salah Ragab 2LP. Just beautiful. Quiet, flat and sound leaps.

Briskit, mr.dave, Greenalishi and 2 others like this.
  7. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Anybody else snag the Dirty Three box set? I'm not gonna be able to listen until tonight but would love to hear first impressions.

jalexander, BeauZooka and uzn007 like this.
  8. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Doors ‘Morrison Hotel Sessions’ is terrific. Closing my eyes and I’m right there in the studio with the boys...

9. tengram

tengram Forum Resident

Someone on the other RSD thread just said they have surface noise on disc 1, as well.

I managed to score my copy online from Dusty Groove (I had to move from IL to a rural area in PA for work, so there's no easily accessible local store here), but obviously, it won't be here for a few days, so can't comment myself on it yet...

MrSka57 likes this.
  10. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

To follow up. Noise was only a problem on side 1. It’s a really cool record if you are a fan. Glad I got it.

In other news my Tom Petty is flawless .
    The sun records “let’s party” comp is also well pressed considering the cost .

so far really impressed with all the stuff I’ve purchased. Next up will be the Police records. Probably won’t jump into the Chicago Blues comp until tomorrow.

tengram and Isitquiex like this.
  11. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

I finally started making these annual low-priced exclusive compilations an impulse buy 3 years ago - the tracks are mostly new to me and thoughtfully curated, and the sound is consistent considering the vintage of the recordings. Love the Betty Lavette track on this year's!

12. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

It’s a Universal Special Markets sublabel, like Now Again, which did the J.B.’s records a couple of years ago. My copies of those were fine.

This one looks like a United pressing. If I’d realized it was a split-color record, I’d have skipped it because I have bad luck with those being noisy. My copy, however, wasn’t too bad. Other than a few pops on side one, and a little noise in one of the runouts, it’s pretty quiet. There was another complaint about pops, so I’m wondering if those are a pressing flaw on the whole run.

13. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Great to hear

Have one for later

How does 9 versions of Queen of the Highway play out?

14. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

Elton John Sgt. Zippo was excellent, with flat vinyl with a remarkable folded cover and a big mono sound.
    More to hear soon....

15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree totally. I was lucky to grab my store’s only copy. As soon as I saw it my hand automatically went straight to it as if out of instinct. It was high on my list.

I just got the UHQR KOB from AP and I am pretty happy with it. At $100, it doesn’t probably sound as good as this $25 release though.

markshan, recstar24 and rhino4evr like this.
  16. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

Yeah I have vol 1-5 of the sun records comps, and then took a break. This years mix is really good, and was only $11

raveoned and Isitquiex like this.
  17. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Remarkably well, different treatments, some as instrumentals. Keys / drums / wonderful session bass player with Krieger sitting it out. I found that I stayed with it and enjoyed it all. Doesn’t seem like a ‘play once and file away’ record.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    oldjollymon likes this.
  18. RC1

RC1 Forum Resident

My Robert Palmer sounds great, nice & flat & quiet

19. darkbreezes

darkbreezes Forum Resident

Do you have an original to compare it to? Can you say anything else? After reading other reviews on the Toots, this Palmer LP si the only one I even remotely care about anymore

20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Celia and Willie is another great sounding release from Craft. I happen to like salsa, probably not to everyone’s taste. I have to hand it to Craft. Two high quality reasonably priced AAA pressings for RSD. Keep it up guys.

21. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

Police 1979 is another triumph .

no skimping this year

22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Elton sounds great. Perfect pressing.

Prince sounds good except my copy has a few loud pops on “One of Your Tears.” Ugh. I ordered another copy on Discogs. Those pops aside, the sound is great. Especially compared to the original CD.

The two Black Sabbath picture discs sound bad. My first two picture discs will probably be my last two picture discs.

23. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Any Quiet Kenny online?

24. ScottishStuart

ScottishStuart Stay Hard, Stay Hungry, Stay Alive

Not impressed with the sound quality of the AC/DC picture disk single.

hi_watt and Kossoff is God like this.
  25. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Police Boston and the Monk sound fantastic

hi_watt, Sean, Kenny Lagers and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.