RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Too bad about Donnie Hathaway being less than spectacular. Seems like a missed opportunity to do a AAA release of this hard to find (clean) original. Maybe there will be one down the road...

Batman21 likes this.
  2. Does anyone know if The Police sets will have wide releases?

3. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

It’s actually fine.

landerstnkb likes this.
  4. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I haven’t spun mine yet beyond to make sure it isn’t warped, but the packaging is super nice. Gatefold old school tip-on jacket. Sounds like a quiet mastering that you need to crank , definitely sounded good from the little I’ve listened so far .

landerstnkb likes this.
  5. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Ya im with you, I had high hopes for something special, particularly the bass on ‘everything is everything.’ I just had side two on again, its certainly not bad. Maybe this is just how it sounds and remastering cant really improve it?

6. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

This was the whole reason I didn’t bother with this title.

It’s not album in a true listening experience, in my opinion.

I don’t need to listen to 4 or 5 takes of the same song in a row.

If they had made it a comp of the best trax from these sessions, I wild have bought it as a no-brainer.

7. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

This was not at any of the 4 Canadian stores I was at today. It was on my wantlist too.

8. Caruso65

Caruso65 Forum Resident

How are the live tracks on The Who Face Dances 40th?

ScottishStuart likes this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I love Mark Lanegan. Here Comes That Weird Chill checks quite a few boxes for me. The magenta vinyl is eerily cool and the content smokes. Sound quality is just OK and the pressing has minor noise issues. Overall, I’m not sorry I grabbed it at the price.

DHamilton, DTK, CX4eyes and 2 others like this.
  10. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

I am enjoying the Elton John way more than I thought I would. Grabbed it on a whim. Very nice pressing too. Super quiet.

Ludger, Alan2, mr.dave and 7 others like this.
  11. tengram

tengram Forum Resident

Anyone from the UK get either of the two Future Sound of London releases?

12. ScottishStuart

ScottishStuart Stay Hard, Stay Hungry, Stay Alive

I think good. Channels set up as per on stage with Pete panned to the right. The whole package is fantastic.

13. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I've finished listening to most of my haul (bar Side 2 of Lee Scratch Perry).

Having a Party with Jonathan Richman
    Funky Kingston -
    Toots & the Maytals
    Roast Fish, Collie Weed & Cornbread - Lee "Scratch" Perry
    Open & Close - Fela

As mentioned before, the Fela record is outstanding. Great sound, great package and the only truly quiet record I got today. This is the one I'm most looking forward to spinning for the second time.

I mentioned earlier that I had some noise on Toots & the Maytals' Funky Kingston. I may have been a little over-the-top in describing it as "crap" earlier -- It's not bad noise -- but it's still noise. I probably wouldn't rate it higher than a VG+ if I were selling this record after one play (although I've certainly bought records rated "NM" with this much noise, LOL).

Similar amounts of noise on Having a Party with Jonathan Richman and Roast Fish, Collie Weed & Cornbread. Maybe I'm just too picky, or spoiled from listening to too many great jazz reissues lately.

The good news is that all four of these records sound fantastic. If you're on the fence about any of these because you don't know how they're going to sound, then go for it.

The Fela record is outstanding, as already noted.

I wasn't blown away by the sonics on the Toots record to start, but then noticed that the clavinet(?) on "Louie, Louie" was really kicking my ass by the end of Side 1. Very good sound overall. I assume it's probably the same mastering that Get On Down has been selling since 2013 so it shouldn't be hard to find if you want to check it out for yourself.

I don't have another copy of the Lee Perry to compare, but this is advertised as "remastered" on the hype sticker and it sounds great with tons of bass.

The Jonathan Richman sounded better than I hoped... there was some discussion in one of the threads about whether this record was originally recorded/mixed/mastered digitally or not. In 1991, I wouldn't have been surprised at all if they did the original stereo mix to 16/44.1 DAT, but whatever they did, this record sounds great! This is a very small band (often just guitar, or just guitar and drums) and the sound is perfectly clear and very lifelike. I'm eager to compare it to my original Rounder CD and see if there's any difference, or if it's always sounded this good and I just didn't notice. Highly recommended (if you don't mind a little surface noise, LOL), although the "Bermuda seafoam" vinyl looks like vomit, unfortunately (it's a white-and-green splatter pattern and not a solid seafoam green as I was expecting).

14. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Happy to report the Robert Palmer is another nice pressing.

uzn007 and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Jefferson Airplane - curated for Record Store Day - Ok. Nothing to write home about sonically. Quiet pressing.

Albert Collins with the Barrelhouse Live - sounds really good - dynamic and punchy. Nice color vinyl. Quiet pressing.

16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

So far I’ve listened to Elton John, Bobo Jenkins, and now have The Kinks Percy picture disc playing.

Very pleased with Elton’s Sgt Zippo - flat, quiet and much better than the tepid previews had me thinking it would be.

Bobo Jenkins is a rough and ready blues record from the seventies. Quite engaging, and with its quiet pink vinyl will surely be a party album in the davenav cave.

The Kinks Percy is a picture disc mastered by Kevin Gray and has always been a muddy mess in previous editions. But not here. The sound is AMAZINGLY better than I could ever have predicted. And it’s quiet! If you love The Kinks, this is essential! It’s basically a soundtrack, but has some of my favorite Ray Davies tunes and will fit quite nicely alongside Lola vs Powerman. It’s essentially the last sixties Kinks album but it never sounded like this! Crank it!

Next up:

2 Steely Dans
    Link Wray sings
    Zombies
    Buzzcocks
    Doors

Ludger, alx7, mr.dave and 7 others like this.
  17. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

Skipped out on that kinks record. May need to rectify

18. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

That's good. I guess I was hoping for more than fine given some recent AAA reissues like the VMP King Curtis. Seemed a bit weird that they went all out with the jacket but maybe not with the mastering?

Batman21 likes this.
  19. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

Did someone get the Black Sabbath Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules picture discs? How did they sound like? I was thinking about going out to get them, but I was to lazy and it was raining really much, so did not really feel like it! I might buy them online if they get good reviews...

20. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

dont let one opinion spoil yours. I thought it sounded really really good

Beach House and CX4eyes like this.
  21. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Awesome, looking for to giving it a spin!

22. thecomposer10

thecomposer10 Forum Resident

Did anyone get a chance to listen to the “custodian’s mix” of the Thelonious Monk Palo Alto album? What are your thoughts?

bluejimbop likes this.
  23. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

This Zombies record sounds great. How did these songs remain obscure?

StephMess78 and bloodlemons like this.
  24. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'm kinda bummed, I couldn't make it today. My wife was admitted to the hospital yesterday (she'll be fine), but missed the experience. Luckily, I was able to order everything she and I both wanted online, even after it appeared that every site crashed, LOL....probably the bad internet connection here in the hospital. I can join in the fun when everything shows up. We both hated that we couldn't make it. Ordering online was a bigger pain than getting up early.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Garbage "No Gods No Masters"

Wow! For what it is this is a great mastering and pressing, no ear bleeder, no surface noise, nice alternate artwork and beautiful Garbage see-through pink vinyl. And, hey, it's their best album since... definitely 2001, maybe 1998.

DTK, marcfeld69, mr.dave and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.