The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Your question was answered above, but for nerdy completeness the E72 Tour was recorded by Betty and Wizard. Matthews was not in the recording truck.

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

They played racetracks at Oxford, ME in '88 and Laguna Seca, Monterey in '87 and '88.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Maybe it got a boost because Chuck Berry's opening sets were both pretty darn good.

4. US Blues

The classic audience recording was made by our friend @rbbert, a brilliant recording of a great show.

Bob Fried Memorial Boogie.

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nice shots. I figured the others were also Buckeye because the actual show in Charlotte was indoors, but this really takes me back to the Ohio heat.

trd and fishcane like this.
  6. sami

sami Mono still rules

I just got it at Newbury Comics online. Paid $20 or so more than some other places, but everyone was out of stock almost instantly. Discogs is already in the $240-$250 area in the U.S.

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My friends stubbed me up to the front row for the majority of that show, including most of the second set. It was one of my buddy's birthday and the GD ticket office had hooked him up. We kind of freaked Jerry out during Scarlet>Fire because goofing around at home my housemate and I had wound up sometimes doing a goofy dance where we jumped up randomly a lot. On the video we block the camera at times and Jerry looks kind of annoyed in our direction, which we didn't really realize at the time. Sorry Jer (and posterity on film), our bad. Meant as harmless fun...

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'm also partial to the second set of Manor Downs 7/4/81

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Those were 2 of the 3 that I caught, the other being 12/4/90 Oakland.

tobyd and rockinlazys like this.
  10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Ha! That's what I just did. I order from Newbury Comics a lot. I also got Toots and the Maytals but someone in the RSD Quality thread says theirs is a little noisy.

sami likes this.
  11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The Jack Straw from 6/23/74 (DaP 34) is a real corker, with Jerry's solo concise, yet spot on and blistering. I've had this first set on a Maxell XL II for years and it always stood out to me. I haven't listened to that tape for years but the Straw and other highlights (such as Phil's work on WRS) sound even better in official release. I didn't have a full show from '74 back in the day, but I had decent copies of the first set from 6/23/74 and the second set from 5/19/74 and together they painted a rosy picture for 1974. Subsequent archival releases have done little to dispel this perception.

12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Opened a few months after Jerry died.

KCWhistle, frightwigwam, trd and 2 others like this.
  13. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Oh, I didn't realize it was such a recently built arena...thought it was older.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It was an upgrade (driven by the consistent sellouts of Blazer games) to the Memorial Coliseum, which oddly still stands next door. GD played the Coliseum a number of times ('73 and '74 are in the PNW box), that last being in '83 (my 3rd show).

15. US Blues

1 April 1980- Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ

New SBD came into circulation today from our benefactor. It's from the master SBD cassette, sounds good considering the source. Fun show with the "April's Fools" opening. Barney does not perform at this show.

16. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

I was surprised at how off the charts that 12/4/90 Jack Straw was. Always heard that run was subdued, first time back home without Brent in the air or something.

Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Gotcha, those Charlotte crowd pix were drum circles

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

[​IMG]
    Dick's Picks Volume Nine, Set I. Don't you let that deal go down, wait until that deal come 'round.

19. trd

trd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1969-04-13 Doin’ that Rag still with some extra playing at the end; cracking **GMLS**; great **Morning Dew**, maybe best of the era?; another excellent **Dark Star**; St. Stephen has an extended intro, is longer than usual; **The 11** is probably one of the best of the era, it just seems to go all over the place; very strong **DDHNM**; Alligator jam cut at end of BYGN jam, unfortunately

21. US Blues

Jerry breaks a string at the beginning of St.Stephen, if you listen closely you'll notice his absence.

22. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Memorial Coliseum was/is like a slightly smaller version of the Philly Spectrum, so I doubt there was any problem fitting the WoS in there. I saw quite a few shows there in the '80s. For some reason, it was declared a historic building (probably because of the Blazers' '77 championship win in that building, which is one of the seminal events in Portland history), so it can't or won't be torn down. It's still used for the junior league hockey team, I believe.

Looking back on growing up in the '70s-'80s in Portland, it's interesting because outdoor concerts weren't even a thought. Everything was the Coliseum on down to the Paramount or Civic Auditorium or a couple smaller clubs. When the GD outgrew the Coliseum in the mid '80s, they just moved a couple hours down the road to Eugene. The Oregon Deadhead crowd undoubtedly didn't care--a lot of them were there already.

23. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

GD at Portland International Raceway 6/30/79. I wasn't into the Dead at that point yet, though I had gone to another show at PIR the previous year, "Portland Jam '78" headlined by Heart along with The Little River Band, Bob Welch, and Randy Hansen. Looks like those were the only two shows there in that era, based solely on setlist.fm.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob, trd and 3 others like this.
  24. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

I was 11 at that point, so needless to say the GD weren't on my radar yet, either!!

Makes sense that they would have used PIR for that purpose, but it didn't last into my teenage years.

US Blues likes this.
  25. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Is the Raceway the same field as Portland Meadows where the Dead played in 95? Just curious.